Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 03:29 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My newest problem is a clunk/clanking sound during low speed braking (think of slowing down for speedbumps). It sounds like it's the brake pads shifting during initial bite, but sometimes I can hear and feel it mid braking. I can only replicate the sound while the car is under load and braking. I ordered all new hardware (shims, rattle clip, sliding pins, and clips) from the dealer to see if it makes the sound go away.
I had this problem show up on one of my cars after that big rainstorm a couple of months back. As that car hardly gets driven (under a cover but outside), I believe I have some buildup on my pad area so something is catching on braking. I was able to get it to go away for a while after trying to figure out what the issue was (by shifting/loosening some parts on inspection) but it came back recently after the moist weather again. All my shims are still intact, and there did not appear to be anything out of place so I've left it for now. May take it apart later and spray it down with brake cleaner again later though. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.
Old 04-13-18, 03:59 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
I had this problem show up on one of my cars after that big rainstorm a couple of months back. As that car hardly gets driven (under a cover but outside), I believe I have some buildup on my pad area so something is catching on braking. I was able to get it to go away for a while after trying to figure out what the issue was (by shifting/loosening some parts on inspection) but it came back recently after the moist weather again. All my shims are still intact, and there did not appear to be anything out of place so I've left it for now. May take it apart later and spray it down with brake cleaner again later though. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.
I hope it's that simple.

I stopped by the dealer on my way home to pick up my order. Also picked up some ATF and Amsoil diff fluid as well for some overdue maintenance.

Part numbers and quantities required for the supra tt fronts:
04945-14121 - TT Shims qty 1
14947-14010 - Fitting kit qty 1
90240-06019 - Pins qty 4
90468-12021 - retaining clip qty 2

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 12-06-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 03:58 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Any specific reason why you chose amsoil over red line products fo the diff
Old 04-14-18, 07:09 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Any specific reason why you chose amsoil over red line products fo the diff
It was easier for me to get amsoil over redline products 10-15 years ago, so it's what I've always used and stuck with it. Other than that, no specific performance reason.
Old 04-15-18, 09:11 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

All suspension/braking noises are finally gone. I retorqued all the bolts on the front end to double check and found that one of the subframe bolts was loose. Checking the torque specs on the bolts is a regular maintenance item, so it's not too surprising it can potentially come loose. The 4 17mm bolts on the aluminum subframe were 94ft lbs and the 6 19mm bolts on the steel subframe are torqued to 148ft lbs. One of the 148 ft lb bolts was loose on the driver side.

I also installed all the brake hardware and the brakes operate so much smoother during initial/low speed brake engagement. I didn't have any complaints about how the brakes felt before, so it was a surprise to feel the difference with the new hardware.

When comparing the old hardware to the new hardware, I found that the old fitting kit/ anti-rattle clips were softer than the new ones. The pins had wear marks and were slightly bent when compared to the brand new ones. They also didn't slide in and out of the caliper as easily because of the slight bend.
The following users liked this post:
aswang (04-18-18)
Old 04-19-18, 04:23 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Picked up some Supra LCA last weekend from a local SC owner that recently upgraded to all wisefab suspension on his drift car. It was pretty cool to see someone that I met 8 or 9 years ago still have their SC.

The bushings on the rear ear look a lot different compared to the SC bushings

My car in it's natural habitat, the alignment rack. The suspension has settled to it's current ride height which is now lower than the car was on the HKS setup.

After doing more research on Supraforums about the KW, it became obvious that no one reads the instructions that comes from KW and installs them in the "ideal" range.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 12-06-19 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 12:13 PM
iTowils
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I spoke to titan about my installation issues. They told me the mounts are a supra specific part, and they don't advertise it to fit the SC. If other companies mounts were designed to fit both cars, then they must have made the necessary provisions. I sent them all the pictures and diagrams showing the issues I was having, so hopefully they'll correct it and produce a part that fits the SC in the future.

I drove down to Vista, CA this morning to attend HRE open house. I found 2 other SC's when I got there, but I have no idea who they are.
This is the cleanest S14 I've ever seen

Not sure if anyone quoted this yet; it's been pretty long since. This s14 is owned by
View this post on Instagram
from throtl.

That aside, love reading about this SC build Look forward to see how it continues to transform!
Old 04-24-18, 02:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iTowils
Not sure if anyone quoted this yet; it's been pretty long since. This s14 is owned by Mickey Andrade from throtl.

That aside, love reading about this SC build Look forward to see how it continues to transform!
I remember mentioning that the car was owned by Courtney Day in a follow up post to the one you quoted.

Thanks, I try to include the most information possible, so it's useful for others.
Old 05-21-18, 04:02 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

- Kw:
I'm approaching the 2 month mark with the KW coils and have put about 500 miles on the car. I had to align the car 1 more time since my last post to fine tune a few things. My opinion about the KW hasn't changed much much since my initial thoughts. Between the HKS and KW each one has it's own area where it is better.

Low speed comfort and handling, both coils are very similar. The KW is a little bit more comfortable at low speed, but they aren't too far off from each other.

High speed comfort, the KW blows the the hks away. There are these 3 bumps on the way up to LA from my house that I have to slow down for from 80 mph to 65ish with the HKS because if I hit the bumps going too fast it would make the car feel like someone took a sledge hammer and hit the frame. With the KW, I can keep the same speed through the bumps.

High speed handling, I prefer the hks because it feels more like the car is on rails. I'm not saying that the KW can't go the same speeds as the HKS, but the HKS inspires more confidence, so I'm willing to attempt curves and turns at higher speeds.

Both are great coilovers. However, in my case, I don't think it was worth it. If I had known this was how the KW experience would be like, then I would have gladly kept the HKS hipermax II and saved my money.

- Trunk Shocks:
I recently changed out the trunk shocks for the 2nd time since buying the car. The last set of Strongarm shocks lasted 8 years.

Part number: Strongarm 4508 (with spoiler)

I picked up another 3 spoke steering wheel from a local member. I can't figure out which one is supposed to be the original SC brown.

I also went to the dealer to order a couple of parts this morning. I ordered a new A pillar trim and tried to order new headlights, but they said there aren't any headlights left in the USA.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 12-06-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 05:14 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I want to say the steering wheel on the right side looks more like the one I had on my 98 SC300 in regards to the color. Not sure if they changed the color of them on the 99+ style wheels.

Interesting that your Strongarm trunk shocks you have can open the lid when popped. I had mine replaced with Stabilus units (model for trunks with the spoiler) and it stays closed when unlocked.
Old 05-21-18, 05:22 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I want to say the steering wheel on the right side looks more like the one I had on my 98 SC300 in regards to the color. Not sure if they changed the color of them on the 99+ style wheels.

Interesting that your Strongarm trunk shocks you have can open the lid when popped. I had mine replaced with Stabilus units (model for trunks with the spoiler) and it stays closed when unlocked.
Both of those wheels are from 99 models that lived their lives in different regions of the USA.

The shocks only do that when 1st installed. It's very short lived once the shocks self adjust.
Old 05-22-18, 07:26 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Lookin good senor! Still wish I could've picked up those HKS coils from you...
Old 05-23-18, 10:00 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I went to go get my exhaust done last week, but they didn't have the flange I needed. I ended up going to a different shop to get them installed today.

I found out my old greddy evo2 was broken inside. It's probably from excessive vibration on my car. The welds for the sound chamber were broken on both mufflers.

Mocked up the blitz nur spec touring

I had the guy that did the install rev my engine when I was standing outside, and it was quieter than I was expecting. The tone is much deeper compared to the greddy, but doesn't seem to be over the top.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 12-06-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-25-18, 09:23 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

After inspecting all my steering wheels, I think the one on the left(darker brown) is the original color. The one on the left was a closer match to my 98 steering wheel. Once I inspected the faded 99 wheel, I could see certain areas were still the darker brown.

I installed the faded one after applying leatherique for a few days. The other one will get sent out to be reupholstered eventually (been saying that for years now).

The 99 wheel is about 1-2mm thicker than the 98 steering wheel. I noticed the difference immediately.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 12-06-19 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 11:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Got a new Covercraft UVS100 sunshade to replace my old Heatshield sunshade. The heatshield rolls up and is made of a flimsy material, so it was sagging too much.

My new A pillar trim finally arrived today. I meant to order it in Ivory, but I guess I gave them the part number for black

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 12-06-19 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build