Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Old 01-28-18, 10:02 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I need to clean all the tire slime/sealant they used when mounting the tires off the rim/tire, but other than that I like this new setup a lot. The RE71R feels great turning. The specs are a little sunken in for the rear, but still looks good.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 01-28-18 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 02:37 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

It's reassuring to know that OEM replacement HCV's can be had for under $200. Eventually the JY donors will be crumbling, so we can only limp along with cheap replacements for so long... Modifying the 4 Seasons (?) units to fit isn't for everyone, so more options is good.
Old 01-28-18, 04:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
It's reassuring to know that OEM replacement HCV's can be had for under $200. Eventually the JY donors will be crumbling, so we can only limp along with cheap replacements for so long... Modifying the 4 Seasons (?) units to fit isn't for everyone, so more options is good.
When I first started searching all the new parts were $350-450. I almost bought a used one for $90, but decided against it once I found a new one for $182. I ordered it from https://www.ssl-parts.com/ which is run by one of our fellow SC owners.
Old 01-31-18, 11:30 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Ordered some Circuit Performance hub rings and neon green stickers to match my brakes.

The stickers I was expecting to get:

The stickers I actually got... I'll be sending them back. I wish rays made the neon green sticker, but they only have red and neon yellow (for the black SL)

I didn't need the hub rings, but they fill in the gap in the center which helps cover the ugliness.

I also test fitted the rear wheels in the front to see if I could do 18x10 +40 with 275/35/18 all around. It looks doable, but I wouldn't go past 265 just to be safe.

While the wheels were off I threw them on a scale.
TE37SL 18x10 with 245/40/18 Bridgestone RE71R - 42.6lbs
TE37SL 18x10 with a 275/35/18 Bridgestone RE71R - 45.2lbs
HRE 540 18x9.5 with a 245/40/18 Kumho PS31 - 48lbs
HRE 540 18x11 with a 275/35/18 Sumitomo htrz III - 49.2lbs
2nd gen IS350 rim 18x8 with a 245/40/18 Hankook V12 - 47.6lbs
Old 02-06-18, 02:47 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My friend found this video from the toyo tires meet 2 weeks ago. My car is the opening/title card.

Also had another friend upload this picture from cars and coffee last weekend.

I'm looking to have the curb rash fixed on the HRE and possibly redo the faces too. I found this sample picture of the original finishes from HRE. Any opinions or suggestions? Brushed is the most expensive finish and leaving them polished would be the cheapest.
Old 02-08-18, 01:31 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I think charcoal would look good on a white car due to matching the black/white spectrum. Charcoal also will be a shade to help hide built-up brake dust for those that are lazy in periodic wheel cleaning. The classic silver-toned colors are always good and never go out of style. However, if you want showy you would probably want to go with a bright and uncommon color. My only issue with that is that it focuses the attention on the wheels rather than the car as a whole.

I was never a fan of black colored wheels due to not being able to show off the wheel's details (makes me feel like I paid money for something that wouldn't be noticed), as well as it reminds me of rolling on a spare.

Just my $0.02...
Old 02-08-18, 06:57 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Another vote for the charcoal. Second pick is the brushed aluminum, although I usually like them more on dark colored cars. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-09-18, 09:26 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
I think charcoal would look good on a white car due to matching the black/white spectrum. Charcoal also will be a shade to help hide built-up brake dust for those that are lazy in periodic wheel cleaning. The classic silver-toned colors are always good and never go out of style. However, if you want showy you would probably want to go with a bright and uncommon color. My only issue with that is that it focuses the attention on the wheels rather than the car as a whole.

I was never a fan of black colored wheels due to not being able to show off the wheel's details (makes me feel like I paid money for something that wouldn't be noticed), as well as it reminds me of rolling on a spare.

Just my $0.02...
I originally wanted to do the charcoal color because I wanted to try a darker color. After having the TE37 for 2 weeks now, I don't like the color combo. When I walk out to my car at night it looks like the my car is floating on green calipers. My friend described the color change as, "The HRE is like wearing polished dress shoes vs the TE37sl is like having dirty work boots."

I agree with you about the black colored wheels.

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
Another vote for the charcoal. Second pick is the brushed aluminum, although I usually like them more on dark colored cars. Good luck with your decision.
I'm leaning towards brushed polish clear since this is going to be the last time I split the wheels. I got a quote for it yesterday and it was surprisingly more expensive than the last time I had a set refinished in brush polish clear. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to refinish the faces. The polished finish is still holding up even though it's high maintenance.

This is what it should look like once it's done. I think this is regular brush without clear.

I'm a bit loyal to the silver color spectrum:
Top to bottom
Modular Society - Brushed polished clear with chrome lips
Modulare - Brushed Polished clear with chrome lips
Leon Hardiritt - Silver faces with raw polished lips
HRE - Polished faces and lips
Work - Silver faces with polished clear lips
Old 02-09-18, 11:12 AM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

To me, HREs have always been exotic/fancy wheels. The TE-style wheels have always seemed as a rough-imaged wheel I associated with drift cars. This of course is not a reflection to either's quality; just how i perceive their looks. TE wheels, although i say rough-looking, go well on the SC chassis style as many people have already demonstrated with their pics on this forum.
Old 02-09-18, 11:12 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Crazy how much wheels change the look, feel, and personality of a car.

With the HREs, your car had that super expensive, complicated "look", and with the Volks it looks alot more athletic.

I feel like those Volks are more suited for performance cars or cars with a more boxy body.

I am not sure which ones I like more. HREs would look right at home at ride height and slammed to the floor whereas the TEs would look weird if you slammed your car on bags.
Old 02-09-18, 12:00 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I originally wanted to do the charcoal color because I wanted to try a darker color. After having the TE37 for 2 weeks now, I don't like the color combo. When I walk out to my car at night it looks like the my car is floating on green calipers. My friend described the color change as, "The HRE is like wearing polished dress shoes vs the TE37sl is like having dirty work boots."

I agree with you about the black colored wheels.

I'm leaning towards brushed polish clear since this is going to be the last time I split the wheels. I got a quote for it yesterday and it was surprisingly more expensive than the last time I had a set refinished in brush polish clear. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to refinish the faces. The polished finish is still holding up even though it's high maintenance.

This is what it should look like once it's done. I think this is regular brush without clear.

I'm a bit loyal to the silver color spectrum:
Top to bottom
Modular Society - Brushed polished clear with chrome lips
Modulare - Brushed Polished clear with chrome lips
Leon Hardiritt - Silver faces with raw polished lips
HRE - Polished faces and lips
Work - Silver faces with polished clear lips
I'd ask if you'd wanna sell those Modular Society's or Leon Hardiritt's but I don't think I can afford them (looks at bill from clutch, flywheel, and kaaz 2-way lol).

Killer lineup my friend!

My vote will always go to polished on a white car. Too slick!
Old 02-09-18, 04:53 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
To me, HREs have always been exotic/fancy wheels. The TE-style wheels have always seemed as a rough-imaged wheel I associated with drift cars. This of course is not a reflection to either's quality; just how i perceive their looks. TE wheels, although i say rough-looking, go well on the SC chassis style as many people have already demonstrated with their pics on this forum.
HRE does have a higher entry price to their wheels, so they are usually associated with higher end cars. A new set of 18" TE37SL or work Meister can be had for about $2.9k while the 18" 540 was around $6k back in the day when they were new. I didn't buy the HRE new, I bought them used from a NSX owner and relipped them to fit the SC.

The HRE is amazingly light for a 3 piece wheel. Weighing in around 21 pounds for a 18x11. A 18x12.5 work Meister weighs 25.2lbs

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Crazy how much wheels change the look, feel, and personality of a car.

With the HREs, your car had that super expensive, complicated "look", and with the Volks it looks alot more athletic.

I feel like those Volks are more suited for performance cars or cars with a more boxy body.

I am not sure which ones I like more. HREs would look right at home at ride height and slammed to the floor whereas the TEs would look weird if you slammed your car on bags.
That is so true. The wheels change the personality of the car completely. With the TE's it doesn't feel like my car anymore. I don't have that moment when I walk out to my car and think, "damn... that looks great" anymore.

I finally sold the air yesterday after 2-3 years of it being for sale, so we don't have to worry about seeing the TE sunken in when aired out. It's part of the reason I'm redoing the HRE. When I had the 10.5" rear it never looked good when I aired out, so I widened them to 11's. Now that I don't have air, I'm going to go back to 10.5 and fit a 275 to 295 without stretching. I'm basically back pedaling all my work, but I named this "My indecisive build thread" for a reason. lol

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I'd ask if you'd wanna sell those Modular Society's or Leon Hardiritt's but I don't think I can afford them (looks at bill from clutch, flywheel, and kaaz 2-way lol).

Killer lineup my friend!

My vote will always go to polished on a white car. Too slick!
The Modular Society wheels have been for sale for years. They're 5x112 and are sized to fit a W219 cl-s amg. The Mercedes Benz market doesn't care for used wheels, so I haven't had any luck selling them for the last 7 years. Plus they're too aggressive for any model other than the cl-s.

Ordens in the picture are gone, but I have a set of 18" orden faces that I was going to build into step lip 19's.
Old 02-09-18, 07:00 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I love the look of the new wheels! Keep the lips polished on the HRE’s! Your car is such an inspiration! Love it
The following users liked this post:
Blkexcoupe (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 08:40 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Those Meister's are so sexy!!! I would go with those, but then again Meister's and Equip's are my two favorite wheels
Old 02-10-18, 12:34 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Picked up some slotted and cross drilled supra TT rotors yesterday, the front and rear rotors will kind of match now. When my friend gave me the front TT brake setup he only had the OEM rotors (I wasn't going to complain about free brakes). I bought the rear brakes packaged with cross drilled and slotted rotors. I forgot the rotors didn't match because it wasn't noticeable behind the HRE, but it's obvious with the TE.

Also picked up a spare set of front and rear Supra TT calipers to refinish and rebuild. The ordens left a flat spot in the green finish because I didn't put a large enough spacer on when test fitting. I'm debating between keeping them green or going with Ferrari yellow. I've only been able to find 1 place that says they can replicate the Ferrari yellow perfectly and it's a company in the UK. Green would be easier because I still have an unmixed batch of epoxy.

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
I love the look of the new wheels! Keep the lips polished on the HRE’s! Your car is such an inspiration! Love it
Thank you! One of the reasons I got the TE's was because I wanted to get the SRT-8 brake setup after seeing your car, but I'm quickly realizing HRE > cool looking brakes. The supra tt setup already exceeds my current needs for performance.

I decided to do brush polished clear with polished lips on one side and keep the other side fully polished, so I can have the best of both worlds depending on which side of the car I'm looking at.

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
Those Meister's are so sexy!!! I would go with those, but then again Meister's and Equip's are my two favorite wheels
The meister is one of my favorite wheels too. Ravspec has some 18x9.5 +37 (r-disk) and 18x11 +43(o-disk) meisters in stock right now which is as perfect as it gets for a full size tire setup.

The meister in the photo is a display wheel (I never sealed it). It's fully polished inside and out with clear. Even the area the tire would cover is polished.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 02-10-18 at 12:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build