Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-17, 10:25 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I've never seen anything along those lines on dilaing in the ABS. Are they self-adjusting when locking up, sort of like the parking break when in reverse, or did you have to do something else in conjunction? Mine have always felt a bit vague since doing the LS400 caliper upgrade. They work fine and you get used to it pretty quick, but they don't grab initially like the stock calipers.

My early cars didn't have ABS, and I've never locked up my breaks since getting into the SC... I don't know what the pulsing feels like, let alone if it does anything to adjust the system.
No, they aren't self adjusting. It's only an issue that came up because I bled the entire system dry by removing the master cylinder, all 4 brake lines, and all 4 calipers (draining them dry to rebuild them). It's not a common issue for most people during normal brake work.

I bled the master cylinder on the bench to make sure there wasn't any air in the cylinder. Any remaining air in the lines should be pushed out through the caliper bleeder bolts. I bled the system the standard way (passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front) multiple times until I stopped seeing air come out. This left me with a dead space of about 2-3 inches and then the brakes engaged like nothing was wrong. I would have easily adjusted to driving like this, but I wanted it to feel better especially after all this work.

Since I bled the entire system dry, the theory was that there is air between my master cylinder and the ABS unit. The ABS unit is basically a brick wall until it is engaged and lets the air move pass the unit into the calipers. After I engaged ABS for the 1st time the dead space dropped to about 1.5 inches. After that, I bled the system again at all 4 corners, the dead space is about .5 to 1 inch. I'm guessing the shim kit will eliminate or minimize the rest of the dead space.

I found a lot of people on the land cruiser forums mentioning how their brakes felt better after they engaged abs, so that was how I got the idea to try it. They recommend driving in gravel and slamming on your brakes, but I wasn't prepared to do that in my lowered car.

My friend has an identical brake setup to mine, and he has the same dead space on his car (about half the pedal travel). He's prepping his SC for a track day this weekend, so I asked him to do the same bleeding procedure (bleed, engage abs, bleed again) to see if the dead space is eliminated on his car. He said he would report back to me once it's done.
The following users liked this post:
t2d2 (01-01-18)
Old 12-31-17, 03:50 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I broke the hanger on my exhaust a few days ago (the same one I broke 1.5 years ago). I'll be swapping the Greddy mufflers out for my blitz nur tourings when I have a chance to drop the car off at an exhaust shop. Hopefully the nur tourings won't be too loud and give me extra clearance.

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My friend has an identical brake setup to mine, and he has the same dead space on his car (about half the pedal travel). He's prepping his SC for a track day this weekend, so I asked him to do the same bleeding procedure (bleed, engage abs, bleed again) to see if the dead space is eliminated on his car. He said he would report back to me once it's done.
I got an update from my friend. His process was done over a couple of days when he got home from work:
Day 1: Flush all old fluid out of brakes
Day 2: Bleed the brakes again to make sure all air is out and the fluid was completely new.
Day 3: Found a dirt road to engage ABS and force the car to slide - He reported there was a dramatic difference in brake pedal feel. I told him to bleed the brakes again before his track day.
Day 4: Bleed the brakes again - He said there was a lot of dirty fluid and air that came out of the brakes.
Day 6: Track day - He said the difference in the brakes gave him a lot of extra confidence on the track, so he ran his personal best in the SC.
Old 01-01-18, 09:13 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some 20" Leon Hardiritt Ordens on the car right now. I'm still undecided if I'm feeling it. I like ordens, but I'm not sure if it suits my car. The fact that these ones are 20's doesn't help either.

Always thought Ordens would look good on ANYTHING...but it does look off right here.

keep up the great work!
Old 01-01-18, 09:21 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiSta
Always thought Ordens would look good on ANYTHING...but it does look off right here.

keep up the great work!
It's the sizing and the fact that my car isn't slammed. JasGS350 has a great example of a SC on ordens https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post9902041
Old 01-04-18, 02:21 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I think it's just the proportions. 20s look a bit too large for a stock-bodied SC, IMO. But that's just a matter of personal taste for some, and not others.

I'm still a sucker for 5-spoke style wheels on a flat/long car like the SC. I only wish i could find a nice set of Stern Face-II wheels in 19" for mine. I should have picked up the 18" set a few years back instead of the Blitz03s i ended up going with.
Old 01-04-18, 09:46 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
I think it's just the proportions. 20s look a bit too large for a stock-bodied SC, IMO. But that's just a matter of personal taste for some, and not others.

I'm still a sucker for 5-spoke style wheels on a flat/long car like the SC. I only wish i could find a nice set of Stern Face-II wheels in 19" for mine. I should have picked up the 18" set a few years back instead of the Blitz03s i ended up going with.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of 20's on stock body. The reason I test fitted them was because I was offered a set of 19" step lip ordens built to any spec that I wanted for less than $2k.

The 20" ordens were originally from my friend's 4GS (that I posted on the 1st page of this thread), but they've exchanged hands a few times since he owned them.

Have any pics of your car? I'm always a fan of blitz wheels, but they're hard to find in good specs.
Old 01-05-18, 01:03 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Sadly, I had them on my SC300 I sold years ago. I should have taken some pics of the car, but for some reason I've never been into taking photos of any cars I've owned (with the exception of the current SC400). Looking back now, I really wish I could have done that on the variety of cars I've had.

The Blitz03s are great wheels; just really heavy. The funny thing is, seeing how popular that wheel used to be I've probably only seen it on an SC in maybe less than three cars since I've been on these forums. It's really odd since I've seen them on so many mk4 Supras.
Old 01-05-18, 10:23 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Sadly, I had them on my SC300 I sold years ago. I should have taken some pics of the car, but for some reason I've never been into taking photos of any cars I've owned (with the exception of the current SC400). Looking back now, I really wish I could have done that on the variety of cars I've had.

The Blitz03s are great wheels; just really heavy. The funny thing is, seeing how popular that wheel used to be I've probably only seen it on an SC in maybe less than three cars since I've been on these forums. It's really odd since I've seen them on so many mk4 Supras.
It's a lot easier to document things now. Most of us have a decent quality camera in our pockets that we carry with us every day. I've documented almost all of my builds going back to 2002ish, but the SC is the most detailed because cell phone cameras make it easier. I used to have to bring my DSLR with me, setup and stage everything for photos, upload to my computer, do any touch ups if necessary in photoshop, then upload them online. It took forever. In comparison, I take a bunch of pics with my phone, upload all the photos at the end of the day from my phone, and then when I write the post I choose the pictures I want to use. This build is the only one that is still in tact after the whole photobucket hosting thing. It was new enough that I could go back and reupload all the photos that were taken offline.

I think the blitz is more popular on the supra compared to the SC because of the average age of SC owners. The supra owners tend to be older and grew up in the era where blitz was popular.
Old 01-07-18, 12:14 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

It's possible, but I don't think so. If it was a grounding issue it should have made a lot more noise before I installed the rear speakers. When I had my single din with the metra kit and oem speakers I had the grounding issue like you mentioned (from not connecting to the lower strap). The noise was intolerable and I put it back to stock.

When I broke the metra kit last week, there were no mounting points at all, so the stereo was sitting in my dash with no mounts. The static would get louder when I moved the RCA terminals in the trunk at the amp side. My only theory for why the mounts would matter is because the RCA wires on the head unit side were sitting on top of all the wires behind the dash. Since the head unit is mounted properly now, the RCAs are elevated and not binding/sitting on top of other wires.

I'm going to leave it alone unless the sound starts getting worse. Every time I try to isolate a problem on this car I end up getting obsessed and replace everything.
Going back to this whining issue, I think I found what's wrong.

Last night when I was driving home, I noticed my window wipers and heater didn't work, so I couldn't defrost the windows. When looking over the car this morning, I found that the fuse for the wipers was missing and I had plugged it into an empty slot instead. After correcting that, my wipers work and I think the buzzing sound has gone way. When I installed the rear speakers, I also ran the wiring for my air suspension which requires an ignition wire that I've always tapped into the window wiper fuse. I must have messed it up when putting the car back together.

1 more problem fixed, and now I need to get a new heater valve to fix the small leak.
Old 01-20-18, 01:37 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Got my exhaust hangers fixed a week or two ago. I cheaped out and didn't install the blitz. The shop wanted more than I was expecting to install them that day, so I had them fix the greddy setup instead.

Went to the Toyo tires calendar launch this morning. Lots of SC's out there, but I didn't get to meet any owners.

This is also my last week with the HRE on the car since my TE37SL's arrive next week.
Old 01-21-18, 08:35 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Are you selling the HREs? If so, what are the specs on them?

Would be interested if the widths and offsets are what I am looking for (most likely in the ballpark of 18x10 front and 18x11 or 11.5" rear +50-52 offset).
Old 01-21-18, 10:39 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Are you selling the HREs? If so, what are the specs on them?

Would be interested if the widths and offsets are what I am looking for (most likely in the ballpark of 18x10 front and 18x11 or 11.5" rear +50-52 offset).
I'm not selling them and they won't meet your requirements.
1. They wouldn't clear your brakes
2. Specs are 18x9.5 +36, 18x11 +30, but can be rebuilt to 18x10 +42 18x11.5 +49 (I may end up doing this for myself)

I've been in the market for a set of 18" 540R (reverse lip for brake clearance) to build to your specs, but I've had no luck. The TE was my 2nd choice because it's lighter than my HRE, but they don't offer the right size. They offer the 18x11+18, but I'm looking for a 18x11 +40~50. I bought the 18x10+40 since it was the widest rim that I can fit with a full size tire.
Old 01-26-18, 02:54 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Swapped in a new heater control valve

Had my friend test fit the SL's over his 355mm Stoptech trophy kit

Old 01-27-18, 10:45 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks good man. How much was the new heater control valve?
Old 01-27-18, 12:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Looks good man. How much was the new heater control valve?
Thanks, I went to go pick up my tires last night. I ended up going with a 245/40/18 and 275/35/18 Bridgestone Re71r. I'm going to drop the rims off at the shop later today and have my friend pick them up for me since I won't make it back into town before the shop closes.

Best price I found was $181.89 shipped on the valve. The range of prices was all over the place.

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build