ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Build Threads (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads-262/)
-   -   David's 1998 Lexus Ls400 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads/818311-davids-1998-lexus-ls400.html)

Scraape 03-30-16 05:20 PM

David's 1998 Atlantis Blue Mica

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, here's my 98 UCF20, got it with 248k and a bad alternator. Now it has 272,xxx and have put lots of work into it, but still have a ton to do!
I'll just post pics for now and update this later

Attachment 443014

ultm8mind 03-30-16 11:53 PM

Once you do what you have to it'll be nice to have, a lot of little things go bad on these things man, lol. Try to keep your sanity. Welcome to the club.

Scraape 03-31-16 11:50 PM

I have big plans for this car, but first I have to catch up on maintenance. The previous owner did not maintain the car well at all. Last recorded timing belt job was at 100k. My car now has 254,105 so that is on the list.

My car has thrown a bunch of codes along the way....P1349 VVT Malfunction, P0171 System Too Lean, P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2 and also had a random cylinder misfire on all bank 1 cylinders. I've cured all these codes except P0430 which i assume is the bank 2 catalytic converter.

Replaced the VVT Solenoid & Oil Control Valve and this got rid of the P1349, P0171 and the intermittent random cylinder misfire!!!!

Scraape 03-31-16 11:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Things i've replaced so far:
Fuel Filter
Tranny Filter
Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium)
Valve Cover Gaskets/Spark Plug Grommets
Alternator
Radiator
Coolant Temp Sensor
PCV Valve
Transmission Mount
VVT Solenoid
Oil Control Valve

I've cleaned the MAF, changed the air filter, cleaned the air mix path and the throttle body.

Coolant Temp Sensor Change:
Attachment 442982
Attachment 442983

Scraape 04-01-16 12:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I also did some transmission maintenance. If you are having any hard shifting issues or vibrations I would look into the tranny mount. Did that today and the old one had not been changed in 254k and was in two pieces.I also have done around 5 drain and fills over time, refilling with Toyota type IV fluid, I also dropped the transmission pan for one of the drain and fills and changed the transmission filter/strainer. I also did a drain and fill on my Differential with OEM Toyota Synthetic 75w-140 Gear Oil.

Tranny Mount:
Attachment 442977
Tranny Drain Pan after cleaning and scraping off FIPG:
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...psbjebki1i.jpg
Old Tranny Filter:
Attachment 442978
New Tranny Filter:
Attachment 442979
Attachment 442980
Attachment 442981

Scraape 04-01-16 12:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
and......next comes my least favorite job so far on this car. The fuel filter!

Luckily I read up on the forums and expected it to be a pain.

I did this in my garage, required lots of strength and persistence to keep loosening the flare nut thats connected to the fuel filter. That thing was SUCH a pain. The Banjo Bolt on the other side of the fuel filter wasn't anywhere as bad. I'm just glad none of the threads got messed up.

I still think it was a smart repair, I've heard of dealerships telling people toyota fuel filters are lifetime filters and i think that's bogus.

Attachment 442975
Attachment 442976

ultm8mind 04-01-16 09:26 PM

Where you at in Ga? I am in Augusta and work crazy schedules but if you're close to me I'd like to link up with you.

Losiracer2 04-02-16 05:06 AM

I got my 97 LS400 about 6 months back and have done similar maint. except for the tranny and diff since the previous owner recently replaced a solenoid in the trans at a dealer so i know that's good for now.

How much did you pick that up for if you don't mind me asking? I got mine for 2700 w/ 253k but had to spend money on a T-belt and water pump due to the cam seal failing 2k miles after purchasing the car.

It drives great now though with 265k, i use it as my daily, driving 80+ miles a day in. Get about 21mpg average, but i bet your 5spd trans helps a bit more on that front.

Scraape 04-02-16 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Losiracer2 (Post 9431335)
I got my 97 LS400 about 6 months back and have done similar maint. except for the tranny and diff since the previous owner recently replaced a solenoid in the trans at a dealer so i know that's good for now.

How much did you pick that up for if you don't mind me asking? I got mine for 2700 w/ 253k but had to spend money on a T-belt and water pump due to the cam seal failing 2k miles after purchasing the car.

It drives great now though with 265k, i use it as my daily, driving 80+ miles a day in. Get about 21mpg average, but i bet your 5spd trans helps a bit more on that front.

I picked it up for $3,300. Timing belt hasn't been done in over 150k apparently. I took one timing cover off and the belt looks fine, but timing belt/wp is high up on the list.

My car gets **** gas mileage right now, maybe because I've been driving like a **** because I love the torquiness

CELSI0R 04-02-16 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scraape (Post 9432008)
I picked it up for $3,300. Timing belt hasn't been done in over 150k apparently. I took one timing cover off and the belt looks fine, but timing belt/wp is high up on the list.

I would change the timing belt now, before you do any more major driving. Your car has an interference engine, and the rubber on that timing belt is probably old even though it looks good. If it ever snaps, your valves will get smashed by your pistons, and your engine will be toast.

Losiracer2 04-07-16 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scraape (Post 9432008)

My car gets **** gas mileage right now, maybe because I've been driving like a **** because I love the torquiness

Make sure you do the Cam and Crank seals as well. That was the reason behind me changing my T-belt at 50k miles instead of the 90k mile interval. The belt was drenched in oil due to the crank seal being original and hard as a rock when removed.

Scraape 04-27-16 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my 1998 as well as my friends other two UCF20's, but my front end is better looking ;)
Attachment 385585

saleenssc 05-04-16 08:23 AM

which ( Brand) Coolant Temp Sensor did you install? there seem to be a lot of options available. Any issues with the one you chose ? thanks

Scraape 07-22-16 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by saleenssc (Post 9472869)
which ( Brand) Coolant Temp Sensor did you install? there seem to be a lot of options available. Any issues with the one you chose ? thanks

sorry for the late response, i just used some generic brand sensor I got off ebay. worked for me

Scraape 07-22-16 09:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
made some good progress recently, got brakes changed all around, changed out o2 sensors, etc

my rear brakes were really really bad, one of the rotors was cracking so when we got it off we slammed it on the ground and it broke into pieces :D
Attachment 419553

both upstream o2 sensors are a breeze, the downstream ones require you to pull back the interior carpet on both sides, that was the biggest pain of this job
Attachment 419554
Attachment 419555
Attachment 419556
Attachment 419557

Scraape 07-22-16 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so emissions are coming up and my car has had P0420 & P0430 codes for basically this entire year and i kept clearing the codes hoping they would go away eventually, but they never did.

I replaced all o2 sensors but that didn't fix the Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold codes for both banks, but I'm glad i replaced them since they all had 257k+ on them.

I was then stumped and convinced I would have to drop $500+ on new cats.

Then I was browsing these forums and realized when i cleaned my air mix path i didn't do it properly. I cleaned the 8 little holes but didn't realize there were two bigger holes that are the most important to be clean. Pic for reference:

Attachment 419552

I cleaned those two little holes with the car running, with throttle body cleaner and compressed air and my car started blowing a bunch of smoke out the exhaust, but only when i used the compressed air after the CRC TB cleaner.

After using a whole can of throttle body cleaner in the air mix path, I shut the car off, unplugged the battery for 15 min, then took the car for a drive and definitely noticed a difference in throttle response and shifting smoothness.

I ended up driving 100+ miles and realized the CEL never came back on! What a surprise, i figure maybe the air mix path was clogged and making the ECU think something was wrong with the cats, but who knows. I plan on cleaning the air mix path again soon, in case i missed any gunk in there.

Goodbye P0420 & P0430!!!

KJG92 07-24-16 05:11 AM

Nice work. Our '92 had a lean issue but it was the two upstream O2 sensors. A couple weeks after we bought it I pulled the throttle body off. Replaced the coolant temp sensor and cleaned the throttle body. That thing was a mess. I don't think it had ever been cleaned. It took a whole can of cleaner and a tooth brush and pick. After a new gasket I put it all back together and started it. The car fired up and revved high and then idled back down. Kind of like it took a huge deep breath and settled down. We live in Douglasville and took it to have the emissions done last month. The guy thought his machine or the probe was broken cause he had never seen a older car run so clean.

hotdawwg 08-03-16 11:23 PM

Cool I am going to clean my air path this weekend

Catbyrd1 08-04-16 05:37 PM

Hey guys do u know of any aftermarket upper and low control arm that's out there for a LS400 1999

Scraape 08-04-16 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Catbyrd1 (Post 9575768)
Hey guys do u know of any aftermarket upper and low control arm that's out there for a LS400 1999

ebay, search on google, etc. thanks for the thread bump

Scraape 08-12-16 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
did the motor mounts today. had already done the tranny mount awhile back. Car is now at 258,335. Mounts were the original ones and they were done.
Attachment 419017

Scraape 08-25-16 07:11 PM

battling some low idle issues on my car. Only when it's in drive with the AC off.

I'm guessing it's my idle air control valve
I'm probably just gonna clean mine and reinstall, but was curious of the part number for 98-00. I would guess it's different from the non vvti 1uz's, but maybe i'm wrong.

The only OEM part number I've found seems to be for 93-97 LS400's. Haven't found one for 98-00 yet

Scraape 08-25-16 07:43 PM

interesting. so it appears 98-00 ls400 don't have idle air control valves.

apparently they have electronic throttle control motors. It took me awhile to figure out but it seems as though they started this on the 98 Gs300 as well.

8967247010 is the part # for the 98-00 ls400 electronic throttle control motor

hotdawwg 08-25-16 10:58 PM

Interesting. I cleaned my throttle body and the Air Path Mox. So much junk built up in there. Surprising to me, the idle on my car went up when I did this...

Scraape 09-07-16 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
replaced the cabin air filter, like most stuff on this car, seems to be original filter. It was quite nasty having 259,029 miles on it.
Attachment 418334

Stereotype 09-10-16 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Scraape (Post 9611323)
replaced the cabin air filter, like most stuff on this car, seems to be original filter. It was quite nasty having 259,029 miles on it.
https://i1279.photobucket.com/albums...psavk6nwas.jpg

The looks pretty clean compared to mine that came out of my 93. It looked original as well seeing 171k miles and 23 years. Does your car have a different scent after you replaced that? my LS has a very old almost musty smell i cannot get rid of, even after replacing my filter.

Scraape 09-10-16 02:30 PM

my car does have a better scent now, not as musty as it was before. I know what you're talking about lol

Stereotype 09-10-16 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scraape (Post 9614546)
my car does have a better scent now, not as musty as it was before. I know what you're talking about lol

I've bombed my car twice, febreezed my carpet like 5 times and have gone through about 15 air fresheners. still smells the same haha.

Scraape 09-10-16 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stereotype (Post 9614552)
I've bombed my car twice, febreezed my carpet like 5 times and have gone through about 15 air fresheners. still smells the same haha.

haha!

front suspension overhaul coming soon, have a bunch of parts sitting in my garage, with more on the way.

lower ball joints, lower control arms, upper ball joints & control arms, sway bar end links, inner & outer tie rods, and last but not least, strut bars! I need adjustable shocks as well but need to save up for those now!

ericjergs 09-27-16 04:42 AM

Miata

Is this the same David on mx5atlanta?

Scraape 09-27-16 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ericjergs (Post 9631901)
Is this the same David on mx5atlanta?

yessir that is me!! You seen my Miata lately ?

ericjergs 09-27-16 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Scraape (Post 9631965)
yessir that is me!! You seen my Miata lately ?

Nice! I just picked up a 99, I'll probably create a thread here soon. My Miata is in the middle of getting fully gutted, have a kirkey seat on the way too! But I haven't been too active in mx5 lately, don't tel me it's wrecked or anything!

Scraape 09-27-16 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ericjergs (Post 9632001)
Nice! I just picked up a 99, I'll probably create a thread here soon. My Miata is in the middle of getting fully gutted, have a kirkey seat on the way too! But I haven't been too active in mx5 lately, don't tel me it's wrecked or anything!

dude hell yes. How many miles on it? Mine was super neglected so I've been catching up on maintenance. Any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Nah my Miata is still good, just got a new front bumper on it now, a DAMD front bumper, JDM as ****, similar to a pitcrew

ericjergs 09-27-16 07:26 AM

It's just about to hit 196k! She looks great, probably a solid 9/10 exterior/interior wise with very minor cosmetic blemishes. She came with a stack of maintenance receipts as well. I won't have to do any major work for awhile, just a couple of concerns but I won't derail you're thread with that, and I'll save it for my own haha.
But okay good! I'll check your threads/Instagram and catch up on the Yata. Sounds awesome though, love that front-end.

ultm8mind 09-28-16 09:11 PM

So, you keeping the LS for now or what? Saw a gold one for sale off Broad St. and thought about getting it, and swapping all my car to that. But decided against it, seeing as how I don't have time to even mess with the one I currently have.

Scraape 09-29-16 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ultm8mind (Post 9634166)
So, you keeping the LS for now or what? Saw a gold one for sale off Broad St. and thought about getting it, and swapping all my car to that. But decided against it, seeing as how I don't have time to even mess with the one I currently have.

i plan on keeping it for a long time, i just need to get all this suspension work done, then timing belt/water pump. just don't have the money to do everything at once. I have most of the front suspension parts pieced together. I'd like to get all new shocks all around so i can do that all at once

ultm8mind 09-29-16 07:38 PM

Ah ok, cool. I think I am going to put mine away until the spring, this year is pretty much blown anyways. Kind of depressing. Lost interest in it for now, just need a fire lit under my ass really.

Scraape 11-03-16 01:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
finally got some of the suspension work done. I purchased new parts with bushings already installed, to save the hassle. I replaced the Front Lower Control Arms (one was completely ****ed), Lower Ball Joints (moog), Front Sway Bar End Links, Inner & Outer Tie Rods, and Strut Rods (these were toast as well). Check out the pics to see how bad the bushings were. Ball Joints were done too and sketchy.
Attachment 417301
Attachment 417302
Attachment 417303

I still haven't had the money to replace the struts/shocks yet, but I learned the bottom of the passenger side strut is slightly bent (pictured), so I'll definitely try to replace those ASAP. When I replace the struts I will do the Upper Control Arm & Upper Ball Joints.
Attachment 417304

My car already rides SO much better, slight vibration still though, which i'm sure is from blown shocks.

I'll need to look in to doing some of the rear suspension/bushings eventually, but the front was definitely urgent as you might be able to see in the pics.

Scraape 11-13-16 03:34 PM

and.....looks like it's time to do the dreaded starter job on my car. The car still starts, but in the morning with the weather getting colder in GA it sometimes won't start right away. I hear the relay clicking and then it finally turns over eventually. I'm thinking about getting an OEM starter, but would rather not get a remanufactured one, anyone have any suggestions where to look?

Scraape 11-14-16 07:41 PM

Just bought the necessary parts to refresh my starter! It's working for now, but the weather will be getting colder and will only make things worse. Will post pics when finished.

got these from TOYOTAPARTSWEBSTORE.com :

Item: Starter Kit (contact) Part Number: 28226-72010 Paid: $12.35

Item: Contact Part Number: 28226-54412 Paid: $8.33

Item: Plunger Part Number: 28235-54380 Paid: $24.91

got these in OEM on ebay:
Item: Intake Gasket (x2) Part Number: 17171-50020 (x2)