Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?

Old 03-08-16, 09:56 PM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?

Hello one and all,
Wanted to start by saying my hellos and welcome to my build forum as the title says this is my first 2JZ GE engine build and it's off a 2003 Lexus no this is not my first project build it will be one that I am taking seriously throwing a lot of money down on it lot of time is going to be put towards this and I expect this to be one of the top contenders on the street and the drag strip. My overall goal is to see this at about 650 horsepower. And that is just for starters well let me give you a little overview all of my recent purchase of the 2003 Lexus IS. First off as we all know that the 2JZ block is a strong solid block for any potential built being that this is the 2JZ GE Block it's got the better performing head then the GTE only stating facts that's not what you really want to hear, the vehicle itself has 200000 miles on the clock but in all reality these were all highway miles and I can verify that but when you start the sub it doesn't sound like it has 200,000 miles it sounds like it has Maybe 90000 miles there's no valve ticking no squealing of anything no leaking fluids anywhere no wet spots on the valve head the transmission the rear differential, and yes unfortunately this is an automatic but I am going to keep this built as an automatic yes I could probably swap it out for if 5 speed but I want this to be unique. The body and underbody as well as the interior are completely flawless for being a car of the North we have some of the harshest Winters up here with a lot of salt, there is not one Speck of rust anywhere on this car the interior is still in Immaculate condition the leather is still fresh the dash is not Sun faded and the overall car still has a lot of pep in the step which I am happy to say. Now I am new to the group but I am not new to this world I have my good friend CJ over at dragnflyfabrications.com he and I will both be doing this build and yes we have both done our homework as to what needs to go into this engine to make it 650 horse. We had just got done going over the parts list which I will be posting in a later post once all the details have been finalized. Know that any and all constructive criticism will be appreciated throughout this built feel free to speak up just in case we have overlooked something later on this week we will be taking the car over to the dyno and get some base line numbers I will also be posting those numbers up later on this week, I will try and keep this community updated what does build as we move along there will be a lot of pictures lots of video don't really have a set time frame but I would like to see this done within a matter of a few months that's the goal anyway
Attached Thumbnails My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_80481.jpg   My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_8047.jpg   My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_8046.jpg   My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_80391.jpg   My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_8041.jpg  

My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_8057.jpg   My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_8055.jpg   My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_8054.jpg   My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_8052.jpg   My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?-img_8050.jpg  

Old 03-09-16, 03:38 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

203-5405 ARP MAIN STUDS 179.30
203-4702 2JZGE ARP HEAD STUDS 321.42
203-6005 STUDS UNDER CUT ARP ROD BOLTS 109.99
BC0300 BC2300, BC1300, BC2300-24 SINGLE SPRING SET W/TITANIUM RETAINERS 382.53
BC0311 BC272/272 CAMS 714.42
HKS22004 HKS PURPLE TIMING 210.00
HKS-AT004 CLEAR TIMING COVER 49.99
C4276-051 COMETIC HEAD GASKET 87MM 189.99
GTX3076 GARRETT TURBO 1399.99
T-740902 GARRETT TURBINE T4 HOUSING .94A/R 469.51
DRAGNFLY DF CUSTOM 316L TOP MOUNT EXHAUST MANIFOLD 1800.00
DRAGNFLY DF 3" DOWNPIPE 550.00
DRAGNFLY DF 3" CAT BACK 650.00
TIAL-MVR TIAL 44MM MVR PURPLE 360.99
DRAGNFLY DF 2" 316L DUMPTUPE 275.00
HEAT-HPLTS HEATSHEILD LAVA TURBO BLANKET 199.62
FUELLAB51501 FUEL LAB ADJUSTABLE FPR -6AN 179.99
FR-10PR PURPLE 2JZ FUEL RAIL 114.99
1000.10 ID1000 INJECTORS AEM E85 FUEL PUMP 650.00
TIAL-BOV PURPLE TIAL 50MM BOV 10PSI SPRING 259.99
BELL-A300 3.00X8.8"X18" W/CUSTOM TANKS (OIL,TRANS COOLER) 660.00
WOLF-V550 WOLF EMS V550 2095.00
30-4110 AEM AFR 02 UEGO 199.99
30-4401 AEM FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE 219.99
30-4406 AEM BOOST GUAGE 189.99
ORT-3 3POD GUAGE MOUNT CARBON 109.99
TRAN-VB TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY MODIFICATIONS UPGRADE 339.99
TRANS-COOL 13ROW X 10ROW X 10AN 109.99
AUTO-FIT AUTO TRANS -10AN TO 3/8-16 THREAD ADAPTER 39.99
BRAID--6AN-10AN BRAIDED STEELLINES, FITTINGS,BUNGS,MISC 650.00

Know that everything listed has the part number first followed by a description followed by a rough estimate as to cost without dealer pricing this list is for the drivetrain alone ie the engine Turbo and trans this does not include any body modifications interior modifications and any other various miscellaneous items overall together total price comes out to about $11,000 give or take and the end result hopefully will be a 650 horsepower Lexus IS300. This list was comprised of both myself and my fabricator\friend CJ if you have any questions as to why we chose what we have chosen feel free to ask and if you see anything that you would change please tell me why or share your thoughts and opinions.
Old 03-15-16, 12:26 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick introduction
Old 03-15-16, 12:28 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

Did a dyno run earlier today to get some base numbers but some important numbers to start with.
Old 03-15-16, 06:57 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

650 whp will be maxing out 1000cc injectors on e85.

I may be missing it, but I don't see upraded pistons and rods anywhere.

Plan on line honing the mains hopefully?

Last edited by mitsuguy; 03-15-16 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 01:56 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

No sir you are not missing anything, I'm doing this to push what is possible with this engine, we are doing the the entire bottom end with arp hardware upgrades, eventually yes there will be eagle rods and wiseco pistions. Already did a similar build with a stock bottom and top of a cummins 5.9 and made over 800 hp without stuff breaking with just arp hardware upgrades. But we do have a back up block just incase. One never knows. And I have already help build an awd dsm with 1000cc that made 700 plus hp, and that was a 4 banger, this time I've got 2 more pistions and injectors so we will see I suppose. Primarily I want to do this build to see what's possible be it on 93 pump or c14 who knows. But I will let you know when it happens. Thank for the comment.
Old 03-16-16, 03:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Heartofach
No sir you are not missing anything, I'm doing this to push what is possible with this engine, we are doing the the entire bottom end with arp hardware upgrades, eventually yes there will be eagle rods and wiseco pistions. Already did a similar build with a stock bottom and top of a cummins 5.9 and made over 800 hp without stuff breaking with just arp hardware upgrades. But we do have a back up block just incase. One never knows. And I have already help build an awd dsm with 1000cc that made 700 plus hp, and that was a 4 banger, this time I've got 2 more pistions and injectors so we will see I suppose. Primarily I want to do this build to see what's possible be it on 93 pump or c14 who knows. But I will let you know when it happens. Thank for the comment.
Your injector math doesn't add up.

I have 1260cc injectors. At 650 whp, they were at 75% duty cycle on e85 with a 50 psi base fuel pressure. Even if you ran your 1000's at 100% duty cycle, you might just barely hit 650 whp. A good friend just made 620 on a set of 1000's at 95% duty cycle, so the math works out. My math is on e85 though, not race gas, so now that I read that, you would have enough injector. In my world, no one uses race gas anymore and e85 takes about 40% more fuel.

On to your bottom end stuff.

The 2jz-ge VVTI motor has extremely weak pistons and rods. The rods are approximately half the size of the much stronger GTE and the pistons have weak ringlands. Essentially all other versions of the 2jz have stronger bottom ends - both VVTI and non VVTI GTE motors, and the non VVTI GE motor (pre 1998). When Toyota switched to VVTI in the non turbo bottom end, they went to the newer lightweight stuff. Many people have blown them up, myself included. 450 whp is commonly accepted as the max reliable HP, some have pushed to 500 and survived. I know of no one who has gone over 500 and had the motor last more than a handful of pulls. I've built a dozen or so of these things, I've made the type of power you are wanting to make. I've broken a lot of stuff trial and error to get there. I'm not here to call you out, just trying to lend some helpful advice.

There is a Facebook group dedicated to boosted IS300's. In there, there are a hundred or so with boosted cars making anywhere from 300 whp to 1200 whp. One member has had his boosted for 10 years. There is lots of knowledge out there if you are willing to learn, just trying to save you some heartache.
Old 03-16-16, 03:07 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

For the record, your 650 whp goal is attainable on an almost stock auto trans. Mine was made on a stock trans. It wasn't very happy about it, but it did it. Lasted almost 2 years so long as you don't try making lots of power in 1st and 2nd. Another friend just made 623 whp on a similar auto trans setup also.

There is lots of good info on WWW.is-elite.com regarding the stock transmission.
Old 03-16-16, 04:02 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

No offense taken my friend I'm here to learn as well I appreciate the info tho and I will use that knowledge, and really the only reason I'm going c14 is cause I know how destructive E85 can be on everything and I just don't want to deal with it basically. Like I said in the beginning this will be my first 2jz and I'm sure mistake will be made some where at some time and with the advice I get from guys like you will hopefully deter thoes mistakes. I will take all constructive criticism to heart and mind when building this. I already had the feeling that 650 might not be obtainable on the stock bottom end and with you verifying as much, once this Ge block is built I will continue on with the spare block for future transplant. Again I appreciate what you have told me
Old 03-16-16, 04:05 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
For the record, your 650 whp goal is attainable on an almost stock auto trans. Mine was made on a stock trans. It wasn't very happy about it, but it did it. Lasted almost 2 years so long as you don't try making lots of power in 1st and 2nd. Another friend just made 623 whp on a similar auto trans setup also.

There is lots of good info on WWW.is-elite.com regarding the stock transmission.
I will definitely look into that, we are going to send out our trans to be built so it can handle 1000 hp but with only 50 % of that as the main load just to be on the cautious side, and if all else fails we have a place that can give us a 145 trans so we shall see
Old 03-16-16, 05:45 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

No one has successfully built the a650e transmission. A few companies claim to have but none have tried and true units. Most of it is poorly designed sprags, the rest is inconsistent line pressures and either too harsh or too light of shifts.

If going manual trans, look in to the ar5 transmission (essentially a newer, better r154). Want to stay auto - th400 or atfspeed a340
Old 03-16-16, 06:19 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

would any modifications need to be done for the ar5? that you know of like the trans tunnel?
Old 03-16-16, 06:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

The manual trans sits a little higher than the auto. There is a difference in the trans tunnel shape around the shifter. It can be modified pretty easily. Myself and a number of others have performed this already.

It is essentially an r154, all r154 parts bolt up, like clutch cover, flywheel, bell housing and clutch slave. The disk is different as well as the output shaft.
Old 03-19-16, 10:19 AM
Heartofach
Driver School Candidate

So for those are interested and have been following my good buddy over at www.dragnflyfabrications.com where the build is primarily taking place at, has since informed me late last night with about a possible sponsorship with a Wolf ems system. I was very excited about this I would rather have a wolf engine management system over aem any day of the week. www.wolfems.com Over at wolf they primary deal with
BMW
Ford
Holden
Honda
Mazda
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Subaru
Suzuki
Toyota
I really hope that I can get this sponsorship, not only for the fact that i will be my first sponsor ever but because of how much more the Wolf ems can control with the engine management and trans management over the next leading standalone ecu which for most is the Aem for the Lexus 2jz. And seeing as how I will be running a 2JZ this just makes the icing on the cake for me. I will explain more about Wolf and what they can do for your car vs what the Aem can do in another post.

Last edited by Heartofach; 03-19-16 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-19-16, 05:47 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Heartofach
So for those are interested and have been following my good buddy over at www.dragnflyfabrications.com where the build is primarily taking place at, has since informed me late last night with about a possible sponsorship with a Wolf ems system. I was very excited about this I would rather have a wolf engine management system over aem any day of the week. www.wolfems.com Over at wolf they primary deal with
BMW
Ford
Holden
Honda
Mazda
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Subaru
Suzuki
Toyota
I really hope that I can get this sponsorship, not only for the fact that i will be my first sponsor ever but because of how much more the Wolf ems can control with the engine management and trans management over the next leading standalone ecu which for most is the Aem for the Lexus 2jz. And seeing as how I will be running a 2JZ this just makes the icing on the cake for me. I will explain more about Wolf and what they can do for your car vs what the Aem can do in another post.
I am very interested as to what you perceive the Wolf EMS can do that the V2 can't. Then, if there is something there, what it can do that Infinity cannot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first 2JZ and it's a Lexus?