Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Lexus SC300 with a 4L80E

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 04:35 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Idlefree,

Would love to see some more detailed pics of what they had to do to the tunnel to clear the tranny. Also what your doing in the car for shifter.

Thanks,

Shane
Old 09-21-15, 04:51 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
Idlefree,

Would love to see some more detailed pics of what they had to do to the tunnel to clear the tranny. Also what your doing in the car for shifter.

Thanks,

Shane
Hey Shane,
The tranny needs to come out one more time

Last edited by Idlefree; 08-28-16 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-22-15, 04:19 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

That TCI Outlaw shifter is a beauty . I was reading ATF's build on your tranny and damn , a lot of money on that trans setup man . The 2.10 gearset alone is almost $2k .

All that trans setup at $12k is not a joke but it will be ready for whatever power / torque you will build your engine.

You are indeed going for it ... congrats and good luck !
Old 09-22-15, 11:48 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Idlefree

Single drive shaft to the tranny
Love the build; so, please don't get me wrong. I'm simply offering up my experience with one-piece drive shafts. Hopefully, you'll have better luck than me.

I've had two one-piece DSs. One was completely dorked up by one of the most reputable, nationally-known shops. It basically shook like a vibrating bed at a cheap Motel. The other driveshaft came out pretty well and was done by a small shop that specializes in high HP drag cars. I even had them use the OEM U-joints at the tranny output shaft and differential. But it still doesn't compare to a re-tubed two-piece DS. There is no vibration, and it's handled 1.4x s launches on a six speed at over 850 whp. And my car weighs 3850lbs with me in it. Consequently, I have no concern about the Toyota made spline joint in the middle of the shaft giving out. FWIW, the small shop that fabbed the one-piece DS re-tubed a MKIV two piece and lengthened it for the SC.

Just my $0.02; so, please don't be offended.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 09-23-15 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-22-15, 04:58 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gerrb
That TCI Outlaw shifter is a beauty . I was reading ATF's build on your tranny and damn , a lot of money on that trans setup man . The 2.10 gearset alone is almost $2k .

All that trans setup at $12k is not a joke but it will be ready for whatever power / torque you will build your engine.

You are indeed going for it ... congrats and good luck !
Thank you Gerrb, my goal would be around 1500whp by next racing season
Your builds give me hope, that it can be done and as always thanks for your time and help through P.M.
Old 09-22-15, 05:05 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Love the build; so, please don't get me wrong. I'm simply offering up my experience with one-piece drive shafts. Hopefully, you'll have better luck than me.

I've had two one-piece DSs. One was completely dorked up by one of the most reputable, nationally-known shops. It basically shook like a vibrating bed at a cheap Motel. The other driveshaft came out pretty good and was done by a small shop that specializes in high HP drag cars. I even had them use the OEM U-joints at the tranny output shaft and differential. But it still doesn't compare to a re-tubed two-piece DS. There is no vibration, and it's handled 1.4x s launches on a six speed at over 850 whp. And my car weighs 3850lbs with me in it. Consequently, I have no concern about the Toyota made spline joint in the middle of the shaft giving out. FWIW, the small shop that fabbed the one-piece DS re-tubed a MKIV two piece and lengthened it for the SC.

Just my $0.02; so, please don't be offended.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks,
-scott
Thank you Scott,
You are 100% right my machanic warded me about that and said thier will be a chance it happens. He did say I may have to go with a two piece.
The machanic has built a MKIV with a 4L80E pushing 1200whp on a single axle and so far no issues, but it does rattle a bit.

I do appreciate you advise, it helps a lot when people give thier input or past experiences.

I will update as things go.
Cheers and thanks for the support
Old 09-24-15, 05:13 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SSmith
Idlefree,

Thanks,

Shane
Hey Shane here is some picture of the tunnel after it has been massaged to fit the 4L80E
Johnny from Toronto Auto Repair did a great job, to make it not over banged in. It was just enough to fit the tranny.

Last edited by Idlefree; 08-28-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-25-15, 07:32 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow that's alot of hammering! Great build! Is that the ATI 2jz bellhousing? What rear gears did you go with?
Old 09-25-15, 08:46 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
wow that's alot of hammering! Great build! Is that the ATI 2jz bellhousing? What rear gears did you go with?
Thank you 8052JZ,
Yes lots of hammering, Johnny from Toronto Automotive Repair has done an amazing job on the tunnel, he use wood to make sure the metal wasn't damaged or look badly beaten up.

Yes it is a ATI 2JZ bellhousing from AFT speed transmission.

I will be going with 3.769 from a Toyota Supra TT with LSD rear end TRD

Cheers
Old 09-25-15, 08:52 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! I just finished my th400 swap as well but I used the jz bell housing. I didn't feel comfortable mashing up the body for the 4l80 to fit so I went with the th400. I had to hammer out one small area for the shifter lever. But great work!
Old 09-26-15, 09:12 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Removed info

Last edited by Idlefree; 08-28-16 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-26-15, 06:29 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see the end.

steve
Old 09-27-15, 03:20 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
Awesome! I just finished my th400 swap as well but I used the jz bell housing. I didn't feel comfortable mashing up the body for the 4l80 to fit so I went with the th400. I had to hammer out one small area for the shifter lever. But great work!
Thank you 8052JZ

I seen your build, it looks amazing what a great job you did. yes you are right a lot of messaging had to be done for the 4L80E to fit.
Cheers
Old 09-27-15, 03:26 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
This is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see the end.

steve
Thank you Steve greatly appreciated, I will continue to update as the progress goes.
Old 09-27-15, 04:16 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Tranny finally put in for good and all connected can't wait to drive it a special thanks to Johnny at Toronto automotive Repair 4169891987 email torontoautomotiverepair@hotmail.com who installed all of this in such a short time.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC300 with a 4L80E