Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The fall of Lexi(RIP) and the rise of Pheonix - swap motor, suspension, diy

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 08:38 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SC2JZ300
Looking Good, at this pace you may finish before Brad getting his turbo back lol
Hopefully lol, precision is taking their sweet *** time. Which is fine, I'm running out of money lol

we will see can't wait too turn this car on.
Old 09-17-15, 08:39 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DuWerke
He can only wish.
How is the single turbo swap going?
Old 09-18-15, 02:31 PM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chnk
How is the single turbo swap going?
-Modify the downpipe.
- Finish running the oil lines
- Tighten everything done.

ZOOMZOOM time!
Old 09-18-15, 03:15 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted constantly. I'm going to be painting my dash as well as the carpet in the near future once I lay out some reflectix to reduce the heat. How long did you keep the carpet submerged?? Pics when its done !!
Old 09-21-15, 07:19 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Deegee
Keep up the good work, and keep us posted constantly. I'm going to be painting my dash as well as the carpet in the near future once I lay out some reflectix to reduce the heat. How long did you keep the carpet submerged?? Pics when its done !!
no problem

as for the carpet, I thought I had empty the torque converter I used to weigh down the carpet in the barrel and well I was wrong

the atf left in the converter mixed with the dye leaving some big spots on my carpet. The parts that turned black is really black, so I will be doing this a third time. Hopefully someone is learning from my tries because I keep failing lol

loooks how red this dye turned from the atf, I let the thing sit upside for like 2 weeks and it still had alot left in it

Here is some pics from the dye attempt after 10 days

[SIZE="4"]Interior build part 2, carpet dying,[/SIZE] yet another failure lol

attempt 3 will happen soon, third time is a charm right?

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-21-15, 07:35 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

[SIZE="5"]Good bye Lexi..... [/SIZE]you will be missed lots of memories and lessons learned while you were in my possession

I have had this car for almost 5 years and put her through many changes, upgrades, mistakes, and she has never once let me down. I learned majority of my car knowledge through this car and will be missed dearly. I will take away this knowledge and parts from her and transfer them into the new car phoenix, so I will still have a piece of her there.

It was her time anyways, the previous owner did not take care of this car very well, lots of half *** things in the swapped. lack of maintenance, and lots of hidden body damages. So this will be for the best.

Before letting the local salvage company take the chasis away I complete stripped her with plans on reusing or modifiyng the remaining parts.

its been a busy busy weekend. anything unbolted I took it off, including as many 10mm nuts and bolts I could pull lol

steering column with ignition, heater core removed lol

the heater cores in these cars are huge

master brake cylinder, fuse box and front harness removed - I want ot relocated the fuse box later so this will be nice to have

gas tank removed for future fuel line upgrades

of course lets not forget the sun roof, rear seats, rear speaker deck, and my TT denso pump,

All the parts I pulled out laid out

I removed and kept
•all the locks with the ignition/steering column
•front hubs
•front and rear adjustable control arms
•rear hubs - put in new bearings last year
•both fenders
•rear bumper
•rear tail lights and harness
•trunk
•sun roof
•full interior
•gas tank
•master brake cylinder
•basically everything I could get my hands on

Now I've been spending way too much money lately because too many deals keep popping up and I couldn't pass them up.
[SIZE="4"]Bought a red 97 sc300 rolling parts convertered to 5speed shell[/SIZE] with a florida rebuilt title, so another sc to strip sigh....

she may look pretty but the paint job is pretty bad if you look closely, just so many small details ruined in this car because the previous owner got ripped off by a body shop that close business the next day after painting his car.

Interior is not bad, but my friend who went half with me bought this for the 5 speed parts and interior. I will be taking the vents and wood trim to complete my interior since my shell came with broken wood trim and vents.

I will be pulling and transferring the following parts to my 97 car
•97 kit - minus the tail lights
•front fenders
•hood
•mirrors
•trunk
•trunk carpet/panels
•wood trim
•center and side vents
•cluster
•gas cap

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 02:31 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Chris, you have been a busy little Bee lol. Hope you finish the car before it gets too cold.
Old 09-24-15, 05:03 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Chris, you have been a busy little Bee lol. Hope you finish the car before it gets too cold.
yea I may beat the cold on this one, well atleast enough to turn on and drive.

Well made some small progress recently, bought an oem 97-98 MKIV Supra fan shroud part number 1671146200, paid $80 shipped, since there is no info on this fan shroud I'll share some here.

I bought this fan shroud for the 2 oem electric fan mounts to help with cooling in traffic since this is more of a cruiser and weekend warrior.

The mounting points are the same other than the top left I wanna say. Had no problem bolting this to my mkiv aluminum radiator.

you will need to order 16715-46010 also to mount the other corner

For the fans, the stock electric fans from the previous year fan shrouds work, you just need two of them. Rather than paying more of a premium for the stock mkiv ones I found a set of mk3 electric fans locally for $40.

I picked them up in perfectly working order but they needed some reconditioning since both of the motor casings were rusting.

I started by removing the fans, I hated the old bolts the required a flat or philips head screw driver to remove so I go hex versions to replace those

you need
m4 x .7 thread pitch bolts x 6
m5 x .8 thread pitch 12mm bolts x6
m5 fender washers x6 - nicebig ones found them at ace hardware

Took the fans off and painted them black with the dupicolor vinly paint

I also removed the fan motor casings and with a wire brush on my drill removed all the paint and rust. The casings just pop off with some effort with a flat head.

Used some rustroleom rust reformer to paint these incase I missed any rust. This stuff is suppose to convert rust in primer, sounds like magic but it can't hurt lol

Assembled everything, I did have to remove the little metal rings to bolt the fans. The mk3 mounting bolts are slightly different but they will work

zip tied up and read to go back on the radiator

Note to self - maintenance documentation
•new transmission mount installed
•ac lines installed, used new motor oil as lubricant for orings
•airbag harness is missing from drivers side, need to take from parts car
•harness relocation and experimental tucking beginning
•need to order x2 clip for fan shroud 90468-05109

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 07:49 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking good man...this is the dedication I like to see......
Old 09-24-15, 08:31 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pick up on the fans, went ahead and found me one also to put on my car. How do you plan on wiring?
Old 09-24-15, 10:08 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Looking good man...this is the dedication I like to see......
thanks

one more pic for tonight, put the rest of the dash back together

Originally Posted by SC2JZ300
Nice pick up on the fans, went ahead and found me one also to put on my car. How do you plan on wiring?
going to wire a relay and fan switch wired to the coolant sensor
Old 09-25-15, 04:13 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Your tennis shoes are red.. did you submerge them into that drum and dye them too ? J/K ....

We always learn something new ... now I know that those MKIII fans are a perfect fit for the MKIV shroud .

Thanks Chris for that info. Don't throw away my old red front and rear bumpers. I need them and will pick them up soon.. hahaha.

keep up the good work . Your work encourages me to work on that rare 1997 sc300 5speed
Old 09-25-15, 07:05 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
Your tennis shoes are red.. did you submerge them into that drum and dye them too ? J/K ....

We always learn something new ... now I know that those MKIII fans are a perfect fit for the MKIV shroud .

Thanks Chris for that info. Don't throw away my old red front and rear bumpers. I need them and will pick them up soon.. hahaha.

keep up the good work . Your work encourages me to work on that rare 1997 sc300 5speed
Fortunatley trans fluid dries clears lol

They aren't perfect, the mk3 uses smaller screws so its near perfect lol,

Don't worry they arent going anywhere they are still here. Lol I do want to see a vvti 2jz 3.4 stroker. Go work on it already
Old 09-25-15, 12:51 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by chnk

Don't worry they arent going anywhere they are still here. Lol I do want to see a vvti 2jz 3.4 stroker. Go work on it already
Oh shoot , If I will do what I really want for that 97 sc300 5speed , it will take a while. I can't afford to be buying parts for that engine left and right from the store. It is a lot of money for a fully built long vvti 3.4 long block with that stroker crank, pistons and rods and then plus the ported head with ferrea valve train with all the bells and whistles. Long block alone is at least $15-20k . That is the reason thinking of getting it running with the stock engine I have for now just to be able to move it around and till I complete all my stroker parts.

I need to scour the internet every day looking for deals . IF it is only a matter of building a 1000rwhp car , that would be easy , I have all those right now, a newly built short block with carillo rods and cp pistons . Slap a stock head with upgraded springs and retainers plus 272 cams then you have a 1000rwhp long block but it won't be different from all my other SCs... there is no point of building it. IT is RARE , hard to find car so it deserves better.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-25-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-27-15, 08:04 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

So I have been experimenting with cleaning up engine clutter and engine tucking. Since I was swapping fenders I thought I try a few things.

[SIZE="4"]Drivers fender off mods - engine build - part 1 - drivers harness relocation [/SIZE]

With the drivers side fender off I relocated my harness with a non traditional twist.

[SIZE="3"]Relocating the harness - ver chnk[/SIZE]

I did not like the idea of a random harness routed through the engine bay I decided to tuck it up higher and secure it so it won't every touch tire.

This pretty much followed the same instructions in this DIY engine relocation thread

The hole I put the harness through does require some cutting to make more room for the harness

Modification notes
•a little rustroleom rust reformer to the cust spots
•cut up some heater hose and used it to protect the harness around any sharp metal it may rub against
•lots of zip ties to secure of course
•Used some universal strap metal found in the exhaust section of most auto parts stores

Another angle, nice and secure don't see this going anywhere

also had to extend and reroute the wires to the sensor on brake fluid reservoir

Drivers fender off mods - engine build - part 2 - relocating the harness beside the fender and fuse box

If you noticed in the previous pictures I was already thinking of relocating it.

I decided to put it where the fender washer fluid reserve was.
Future modification note - I removed the fuses from the fuse box relating to abs. So there should be no power going to the box. Will delete these wires and box entirely later.

I also cut out a bigger opening for under the headlight, and modify the harness that is normally there to have a slimmer presence

Drivers fender off mods - engine build - part 3 - replacing the stock power steering cooler

I also removed the stock power steering cooler just to clear up clutter

Replaced it with a stock sc400 power steering cooler, not the prettiest thing, but I will replace it later with something aftermarket

[SIZE="3"]Fender back on![/SIZE]

With the fender back on it looks so much cleaner, well once I wipe the dirt off it will be lol

Need to do
•find a new spot for the ignitor/ignition box

Last edited by chnk; 05-17-18 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: The fall of Lexi(RIP) and the rise of Pheonix - swap motor, suspension, diy