Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

JDM 2jz-GTE VVTI build

Old 05-19-15, 09:56 PM
Paulg443
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM 2jz-GTE VVTI build

Okay so before everyone flames me for not driving a Lexus, the swap is into my 04 Tacoma. I left Tacomaworld because almost no one had any experience with a 2j. I am a complete beginner with all of this.

I want to get 500whp out of my 2j. I'm having trouble figuring out how to tune it without having to spend 2000$ on an AEM v2.
What is the best least expensive way to hit 500whp. This truck is going to be a non op off road vehicle. [ pismo beach dunes]

Parts I have as of now: JDM 2jz-GTE VVTI
R154 trans 1jz bell housing and fly wheel.
Old 05-20-15, 08:15 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Hi Paul - Welcome to the Club Lexus forums. For 500 WHP, I'd recommend going standalone over any piggyback systems, especially to take advantage of the VVTi system on your engine.

For 500 WHP, were you planning on converting to a single turbo? If you keep your stock twins, you can make great torque and flow enough to supply 380-420 WHP safely (on E85).

Unfortunately, standalones are the only real solution tuning-wise for these engines. There has been no options for open-source tuning on the OEM ECUs (like Cobb, DSMLink, etc). Piggybacks seem to be less popular for good reasoning as well.
Old 05-20-15, 12:55 PM
Paulg443
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InLyneTrbo
Hi Paul - Welcome to the Club Lexus forums. For 500 WHP, I'd recommend going standalone over any piggyback systems, especially to take advantage of the VVTi system on your engine.

For 500 WHP, were you planning on converting to a single turbo? If you keep your stock twins, you can make great torque and flow enough to supply 380-420 WHP safely (on E85).

Unfortunately, standalones are the only real solution tuning-wise for these engines. There has been no options for open-source tuning on the OEM ECUs (like Cobb, DSMLink, etc). Piggybacks seem to be less popular for good reasoning as well.
Thank you for the reply!
I'd like to upgrade the stock twins and keep it twin turbo. What do you think would be the best route in doing so while keeping the goal of 500hp?
Old 05-20-15, 03:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

is your truck a 4x4, you can also use a later model R150f with a passenger drop transfer case and use the 1jz bellhousing on it with a r154 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate combo.
With an 04 tacoma if its the manaul 3.4l v6 5 speed you might even already have that trans in your car.
if its 2wd, then yes toss the r154 in there.

you sure you want to do a vvti, especially when it comes down to tuning the stock vvti ecu's are very touchy and hard to change stuff around without it getting upset. you might be better off with a regular non vvti 2jzgte swap and you can use most of the regular piggybacks to easily hit those goals. the twins wont get you to 500hp but whatever they get you to I can say from experience its quite a lot of power to have fun with, try and shoot for the ideal setup you want vs a HP number, you would have to go single turbo and do a bunch of things that would complicate any build, especially a vvti build.

if you can go standalone, then the vvti is not a bad option and can be tuned. otherwise you will be limited to the stock vvti ecu and whatever piggybacks work with that one. maybe there is a way even though its touchy but maybe you might want to choose the most important stuff and set the build around that.

if you have more questions just ask I know almost as much about toyota trucks as I do about 2jz's.