Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

The evolution of my GS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 09:50 PM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on the win. It was well deserved.
Old 08-16-16, 10:07 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, took the car out and got a few pics the other night. When the body guy is back from vacation I'm gonna talk to him about redoing the rears. There's some fine finishing work that honestly isn't up to par and I'd like to add some shape to the quarters while that's getting fixed. Anyway, a couple new shots.

This one wasn't great but I'd stopped to check the tires and liked the sky in the background.

Started looking at what else I can do to keep improving the build, have a few things in mind for the audio over the winter but just got these in today.

My intention is to use the brackets and make my own trays out of solid walnut like I did for the front tray and rear console. I've actually enjoyed picking out a board with really nice grain and figure to it for these pieces, just ordered the wood as well. Still have the custom mixed dye and stain from Sherwin Williams I used for the other pieces that I'll use for these so everything matches.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 09-20-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 12:22 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Haven't updated this in a while, hasn't been much to update beyond the switch back to Q45 projectors; car is in getting the rear quarters redone now, waited until after a couple years end events to have it laid up. Here are a few pics I found from those shows and a sneak peak at my first order of business once the snow hits.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 11-09-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-10-16, 09:04 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Haven't updated this in a while, hasn't been much to update beyond the switch back to Q45 projectors; car is in getting the rear quarters redone now, waited until after a couple years end events to have it laid up. Here are a few pics I found from those shows and a sneak peak at my first order of business once the snow hits.
Its about damn time, welcome to the darkside... BTW i found swapping the dash harness was easier for me when i swapped interior then chasing plugs the new dash may/may not have. what happened to the other retrofits?
Old 11-10-16, 01:11 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Yeah, wasn't actively looking to swap but happened across it on Craigslist. New dash already had the wiring removed so that was an easy decision, already found one of your old posts with the link you used to swap the dash! I'll have to decide what to do with the seats once I start getting things in, don't want to leave them as is.

Just decided it was time for a change on the headlights, basically for the looks of the Q45's at the obvious sacrifice of performance.
Old 11-10-16, 02:31 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey I might be interested in your old tan seat covers if you're doing a swap!
Old 11-10-16, 10:08 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusK
Hey I might be interested in your old tan seat covers if you're doing a swap!
The seat covers, door inserts, and probably the matching floor mats (with a new driver's side) will be FS once I pull everything out, not sure on the time frame but I'm hoping to move quickly once the weather turns bad up here. I'll keep you in mind when I'm ready to sell!
Old 11-11-16, 09:06 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, wasn't actively looking to swap but happened across it on Craigslist. New dash already had the wiring removed so that was an easy decision, already found one of your old posts with the link you used to swap the dash! I'll have to decide what to do with the seats once I start getting things in, don't want to leave them as is.

Just decided it was time for a change on the headlights, basically for the looks of the Q45's at the obvious sacrifice of performance.
word of advice if you have never swapped dashes, takes pics of all the mounts for wiring and plus colors before you remove it and then when changing go step by step of a little section at a time. i like having the old one in there so i can check if its the same before swapping and then do the harness section by section but obviously thats not a option for you.

So are the LS's retros up for sale?also what is in the front of the pic, furthest to the left, is that the trunk interior? why not do some diamond stitching or something when you do the seats
Old 11-11-16, 10:11 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
word of advice if you have never swapped dashes, takes pics of all the mounts for wiring and plus colors before you remove it and then when changing go step by step of a little section at a time. i like having the old one in there so i can check if its the same before swapping and then do the harness section by section but obviously thats not a option for you.

So are the LS's retros up for sale?also what is in the front of the pic, furthest to the left, is that the trunk interior? why not do some diamond stitching or something when you do the seats
Thanks, I'll make sure to document everything well and take it slow! Don't really know what I'm getting into there yet but I'll have plenty of time to not rush it.
There's some carpet from the trunk on the far left in the pic, I'll end up throwing it away but just took everything. He'd bought the car wrecked to use the motor and had pulled the interior to get some money back out of it so he wanted everything gone.

Planning on doing the same kind of diamond stitching on the seats and continuing that into the trunk like ive got now. Gotta start getting things in and experiment, decide whether to just go all black or if colored stitching (maybe red or burgundy) would look good or just gaudy and clash with the woodgrain. I'd like to do something with the stitching but have my doubts, it's easy to go horribly wrong with that sorta thing!

The LS projectors are already sold, the one thing I've actually had luck selling lately. I forget not too many people actually put money into these cars anymore.

Any progress on getting yours sold?
Old 11-12-16, 08:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, I'll make sure to document everything well and take it slow! Don't really know what I'm getting into there yet but I'll have plenty of time to not rush it.
There's some carpet from the trunk on the far left in the pic, I'll end up throwing it away but just took everything. He'd bought the car wrecked to use the motor and had pulled the interior to get some money back out of it so he wanted everything gone.

Planning on doing the same kind of diamond stitching on the seats and continuing that into the trunk like ive got now. Gotta start getting things in and experiment, decide whether to just go all black or if colored stitching (maybe red or burgundy) would look good or just gaudy and clash with the woodgrain. I'd like to do something with the stitching but have my doubts, it's easy to go horribly wrong with that sorta thing!

The LS projectors are already sold, the one thing I've actually had luck selling lately. I forget not too many people actually put money into these cars anymore.

yeah i hear you...

yes sorta. i have a deposit and another one pending if this guy falls through. he is supposed to come by after thanksgiving and take a look at it. he is a CL member (the first guy) so if he buys it, it will hopefully stay around the boards
Old 11-12-16, 08:36 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You'll be ok its not hard at all i swapped around the interiors around in my two cars . You will need a steering wheel puller other than that all basic tools and a few larger sockets.
Old 11-13-16, 05:11 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's really great advice!
​​​​​​​We need a thanks button for sure

Old 11-16-16, 09:37 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

yeah i hear you...

yes sorta. i have a deposit and another one pending if this guy falls through. he is supposed to come by after thanksgiving and take a look at it. he is a CL member (the first guy) so if he buys it, it will hopefully stay around the boards
Hope it works out and the car goes to a good home! Thanks for the tips Brian and nyc80rick, can never have too much info going into any job!
Old 11-21-16, 02:37 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

looks great man. interior wont be that bad to do. i didnt even have a friend over when i did mine. pulling the dash by myself was a little cumbersome. but it went back together twice as fast. i think i did a picture walkthrough on my build page a couple years ago in case you want a quick reference, it starts on page 21.

also, your car looks great, man. thumbs up. i dig it
Old 11-22-16, 09:41 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Thanks Pete! Basically have the new dash in, at least the difficult part. Good to know the SEM stuff you used is a good match, I used some duplicolor flat black vinyl coating on a few little pieces since that's what was available the other night, seems to match pretty well. I'm gonna try to do my steering wheel and airbag and I think I'd trust the SEM durability a little more for some reason. If it doesn't hold up I'll have to get a black wheel and redo the paddle shifters.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 11-25-16 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: The evolution of my GS400