Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

The Big Purple Nurple Booty Boat (1JZ/Track Content)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 10:06 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Big Purple Nurple Booty Boat (1JZ/Track Content)

So before I start, the big purple nurple booty boat is the new nickname for my car after its paint job. Glad I could clear that up.

So, I will provide some context on this car. I had a 350z I tracked frequently and it had a set of big brakes on it. I traded the brakes plus some cash for this car. It is a 93' SC300 5 speed with a 1JZ swap.

When I got the car, it was completely disgusting. The tan carpet was stained and was barely tan anymore. The interior looked like someone released a tiger. It was awful. Along those lines, the car had Supra 550cc injectors with no resistor pack so it ran terribly at WOT. I was pulling 50% air through the SAFC and it was still in the 9's (AFR).

First Step: Interior
Strip the interior. While I didn't want to strip the whole interior, most of it wasn't salvageable. The back seats, door panels, carpet, and a few other mics. things were removed. The door panels may go back in. Not really sure yet.

I also added a set of cloth MKIV Supra seats. Bolt in, cheap, and light (compared to the Lexus seats)

Second Step: Remove Fuel
I chose to remove the 550cc injectors and replace them with the stock 1JZ injectors. The car ran MUCH better after this. While the 550s were cool, it wasn't the right time for them.

Third Step: Brakes
I ended up buying OEM new Supra TT brakes all around along with new stainless lines and Super Blue racing brake fluid (a must-have). I installed Hawk HP+ pads for daily use. When the track days come around, I have Carbotech XP12 fronts and XP10 rear.

Fourth Step: Cleaning Wiring
The car had a complex radio installed and it didn't work. The wiring work was pretty terrible, and completely messy. I removed it all and returned the wiring back to stock. When I bought the car, included was a factory radio. I installed the factory radio and it works like a charm!

Fifth Step: Cooling
If this car is going to be on the road course, it needs to be cool. I added an eBay aluminum radiator (and Toyota Red coolant), Mishimoto lower thermostat, and a 19-row Mocal oil cooler with Mocal thermostatic oil sandwich plate. This thing is going to be cool!

With installing my radiator, I noticed the coolant was absolutely disgusting. Completely rusted. It was awful. I flushed the radiator maybe 20 times (not being sarcastic) and it was still awful. Next step was more harsh. Citiric acid is apparently commonly used to clean coolant systems. I used 10lbs of citiric acid to clean my cooling system. It finally came clean. Please people, use distilled water and coolant. Don't forget to change it every once and a while, too!

Sixth Step: Wheels
A good friend of mine was selling his 97/98 MKIV Polished TT Supra wheels. I bought them with no tires, put tires on them, and am planning to run around on them versus the track wheels. My track wheels are Enkei Kojins with NT01 tires.

(Track wheels)

Seventh Step: Coilovers
Judge me. Go ahead. I am not a professional racer, I do it for fun. I bought CXracing coilovers. I have a friend who has tested these on a shock dyno and they outperformed many of the other "cheaper" brands. So go ahead. Shoot me, flame me, I can take it - it's my car, leave me alone.

Last edited by Carfreak70; 03-02-15 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 10:07 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Eighth Step: Paint
So, the car was green and the paint was in terrible shape. The back bumper was a different color, the passenger door was rusted and replaced with a white door, etc. Well, I have only painted one car prior to this one and wanted to try it again. I spent ~$400 to paint this beast purple. That's right - I chose the color and I stand behind it! Painting my own car gives me satisfaction that I did it myself, and gives me experience in something I haven't done before. Since this was the first car I was going through the whole process with, I learned a lot. Sanding took about a week, priming took a complete day, and painting took a day. Overall, I think it came out pretty well. I was worried about tiger striping the metallic flake, but I managed not to. The car is orange peeled. That sucks. I need to wet sand it out, but I am waiting until it warms up some! Anyways - on to the pictures.

Ninth Step: Gauge(s)
So I named this Gauge(s) because at the time of this post, I have only installed one different gauge - the 97+ cluster. My old cluster had all of the needles burnt out (bad when you want to see coolant temp!) and I didn't want to replace them. I opted to follow Gerrb's writeup on the 97+ cluster conversion and it went great. Now I can see everything I need!

Tenth Step: ECU/add Fuel
So I bought a 1JZ to 2JZ ECU patch harness from Dr. Tweak. I also bought a Blitz Access 2JZGTE ECU with removed fuel cut, speed cut, raised rev limit, ect. That will be fun, but it isn't here yet and will be in a later post.

Eleventh Step: Single Turbo
I haven't decided if this will make it onto the car yet or not. I bought a single turbo kit - but don't know if I want to deal with it on a track car. Possibly, possibly not. We'll see. I have it if I want it. Precision billet 6266, Tial 44mm wastegate, manifold, etc.
There will be many updates to come. I am headed to the track March 21st at Putnam Park in Indiana and in April I will be a National Corvette Museum track in Bowling Green, KY.

Last edited by Carfreak70; 03-02-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 10:35 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Track pictures!

Phew - that is one ugly car! Can't wait to get new pictures at Putnam!

This was from a track event at NCM. This was also before many of the modifications had been done to the car. As you can see, I was fighting stock suspension. It was awesome.

Last edited by Carfreak70; 03-02-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 10:39 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Final reserve post...
Old 03-02-15, 10:49 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Nice Trenton .

I hope I will be successful when I go through the learning process of painting my cars this summer. I want to learn. It is an added knowledge and skill. I can refresh the paint of my cars anytime , change colors , add body kits ... all without spending a fortune. I will rather spend that costly paint job on go fast goodies.

When you are tired of those TT wheels , you know whom to call .
Old 03-02-15, 11:14 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
Nice Trenton .

I hope I will be successful when I go through the learning process of painting my cars this summer. I want to learn. It is an added knowledge and skill. I can refresh the paint of my cars anytime , change colors , add body kits ... all without spending a fortune. I will rather spend that costly paint job on go fast goodies.

When you are tired of those TT wheels , you know whom to call .
It is an interesting process. Definitely one that will take time to master - but it was fun learning.

I'll give you a shout if I ever decide to sell them - but I doubt that will happen any time soon haha
Old 03-02-15, 11:28 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purple is my favorite color and that looks great. Nice work.
Old 03-02-15, 12:34 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow the color came out pretty good
Old 03-02-15, 05:31 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to see you were able to obtain a TT SC, Great DIY, Hope to see some track vids.
Old 03-03-15, 06:14 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, this is going to be nice! Props for the DIY paint, and cluster mod! Looking good!

steve
Old 03-03-15, 09:05 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

how did you paint the car? it turned out pretty good. did you have a spray gun? i'm probably just gonna spray paint my car gloss white and then sharpie it cz who the hell cares, my car.
Old 03-05-15, 03:03 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCereal
Purple is my favorite color and that looks great. Nice work.
Thanks! This particular purple has always been interesting to me. This isn't the first Lexus I have shot it on.

Originally Posted by kez
Wow the color came out pretty good
The pictures make it look a lot better than it actually is. I can't wait for it to warm up so I can make it better.

Originally Posted by SC2JZ300
Good to see you were able to obtain a TT SC, Great DIY, Hope to see some track vids.
Thanks! There will definitely be some footage from my next event. I am stoked. Second time on the track with this car - should be able to dial it in a little better.

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Oh, this is going to be nice! Props for the DIY paint, and cluster mod! Looking good!

steve
Thanks! I hope it will be good. Many more DIYs to come!

Originally Posted by oldManTan
how did you paint the car? it turned out pretty good. did you have a spray gun? i'm probably just gonna spray paint my car gloss white and then sharpie it cz who the hell cares, my car.
It turned out alright. Here is what I did (on a super budget).
Paint: Paintforcars.com dual stage with their best clear coat
Gun: Amazon TCP HVLP Gun with Regulator 1.4mm tip.
Other stuff: Air water separator (VERY important), 3M mask, mixing cups, and some really ****ty primer (stuff you can buy at the store - don't buy it)

Do a lot of research and it should be fine. I did well over a weeks worth of research, a weeks worth of sanding, and still probably have a week worth of work to do. Good luck!
Old 03-07-15, 05:19 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what primer do you recommend then? I have a hvlp gun at home, I have a air compressor, ****ty small 3-5 gallon, I will need the air water separator but still don't know what primer to get. since I am all the way at the metal on my engine bay, I was planning on buying some epoxy primer at like lowes or something.
Old 03-07-15, 05:55 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by grumpi300
what primer do you recommend then? I have a hvlp gun at home, I have a air compressor, ****ty small 3-5 gallon, I will need the air water separator but still don't know what primer to get. since I am all the way at the metal on my engine bay, I was planning on buying some epoxy primer at like lowes or something.
Hard to say, honestly. I don't have much automotive painting experience to lead you in the right direction. If you have been told to get some expoxy primer, shoot it and see. Just don't do what I did. I used my crappy front bumper as the test. I knew it wasn't shooting right and decided to spray the whole car anyways. Mistake.

Also, a 3-5 gallon will absolutely not work. It cannot keep up. My 125 gallon Ingersoll Rand had a hard enough time keeping up. You need to borrow something much larger than what you currently have.
Old 03-07-15, 06:01 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Well, today I got to have some wiring fun! I mentioned I purchased a BLITZ Access ECU for a 2JZ and a 1JZ to 2JZ patch harness from Dr. Tweak....who apparently didn't make the harness - but that is a different story.

Anyways - I had to wire the 6 flying leads into the injectors as the 2JZ uses sequential injection whereas the 1JZ uses batch injection.

I was very impressed with the patch harness and once I got everything wired in and plugged up - she fired right up. Long story short it ran REALLY rich because I forgot to hook up the map sensor vacuum line............oops. Hooked that up and now it runs perfect.

Benefit to the 2JZ ECU (this includes BLITZ features) that I have noticed so far:
Very smooth idle
Starts MUCH faster. It seemed like with the 1JZ, every time I started it, it had to do a full rotation and find "home". Not the case anymore.
No boost cut
7,000 Rev Limit

Pictures! (excuse the wiring mess, that will be cleaned up tomorrow)