Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rob`s SC400 PNP Megasquirt project

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 06:35 AM
Robgrob
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eefmydee
I downloaded the file and I opened it up to take a look. Thank You rob for the help. Not a lot of people in my area have this car this this is a big help. How did you eliminate the maf from the equation. Did you just unplug it and the ecu doesnt read it because you set it to go off the vacuum line that you hooked up to the manifold? Lets say i wanna use the maf, how do i do that?
Im not sure I understand your question.

The OEM ECU is completely removed and replaced with a new one. The Megasquirt ECU does not need a MAF, that is why I removed it.

You can run a MAF sensor, but not the OEM sensor as the megasquirt requires a 0-5V MAF. The OEM MAF has a completely different output signal.

The stock OBD1 cars run much better with the MAF sensor simply unplugged on the stock ECU though. You should try it. But the milage will probably get worse.
Old 02-16-16, 01:59 PM
Robgrob
Rookie

I have now updated the thread with my most current tuning file.
Old 02-25-16, 03:11 PM
Lead Lap

Any specific reason you couldn't get any more power with more timing?

I wonder how much you could get out of the vvti with something like this.
Old 03-20-16, 11:10 AM
Lettut
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great build thread! Subscribed.

Glad to see one more SC400 in Scandinavia!
Old 03-23-16, 07:57 AM
eefmydee
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thank you rob for your response and yea that was a stupid question and i understand now, where did you put the updated tune, and at what elevation are you at? just curious?
Old 04-04-16, 11:16 AM
Robgrob
Rookie

Originally Posted by 187
Any specific reason you couldn't get any more power with more timing?

I wonder how much you could get out of the vvti with something like this.

The engine did not respond to more timing. More is not always better, this is even more true on an NA engine where the MBT often can be reached even at low octane fuel.

The VVTI engine is miles ahead in cylinder head and intake manifold design. Im sure that engine has a lot more potential.
Old 04-04-16, 11:17 AM
Robgrob
Rookie

Originally Posted by eefmydee
thank you rob for your response and yea that was a stupid question and i understand now, where did you put the updated tune, and at what elevation are you at? just curious?
Im at sealevel, but it should not make a big difference.

The updated tune is in the first post.
Old 04-25-16, 02:14 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I found this thread! I also have a 92 SC400 and I'm on my 3rd ECU, those old first gen ECU's have really old capacitors that will just leak and render the ECU useless. My initial plan was to send the old ECU to Driftmotion to have it repaired but now that I saw this thread, I would love to get the MS ECU instead. Also, I want to get rid of the old gauge cluster which is also falling apart due to very old electronics and use Real Dash instead. It so happens that it will work with the MS!! I have never done anything like this before, this is my first aftermarket ECU install.

I just have a couple of questions just so that I'm sure what to do:

1) As for connections, is there any other modifications needed physically on the car's harness or is it just like it says, plug and play?

2) As for AFR, are the stock upstream O2 sensors unusable hence needing a wideband sensor?

3) Which one is the options connector on the ECU, is it the one that has it's own connector on the right side? I'm assuming the instruction to wire up the options and wideband O2 sensors are included in instruction manual that came with the ECU.

Thanks for your contribution and knowledge.
Old 04-29-16, 03:42 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

After looking at his tune file, it's plug and play, he made changes for the ignition output, so all the changes were done via software.

You can use the stock narrow band if you choose but trust me, it's not worth it. Weld a single wideband into the Y-pipe.

Options connector is the serial port on the ECU. I sell a lot of the MS3 units, and use it on a lot of different cars. Shoot me a PM if you need some help
Old 05-02-16, 11:12 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

can you use this to control the stock auto?
Old 05-06-16, 12:25 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Mine is also an auto, would the MS3 work as well?

Originally Posted by ihiryu
After looking at his tune file, it's plug and play, he made changes for the ignition output, so all the changes were done via software.

You can use the stock narrow band if you choose but trust me, it's not worth it. Weld a single wideband into the Y-pipe.

Options connector is the serial port on the ECU. I sell a lot of the MS3 units, and use it on a lot of different cars. Shoot me a PM if you need some help
Old 08-31-16, 08:27 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

much props nice thread.. i wonder where the build will end up..subscribed
Old 09-05-16, 01:46 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

I've been off CL forever and I can't believe more people haven't taken tried Megasquirt given the cost of a DIY kit and the results vs the crappy old ECU. The MS3 capable of running the 1UZ's original hardware has been available for so long! Mine has been running without any issues for several years as OP has probably experienced in his other MS applications. Good luck and hopefully more people ditch the stock ECU.
Old 09-12-16, 03:33 AM
Robgrob
Rookie

Still some activity in this old thread! Car is sold, so the thread has come to an end for updates unless the new owner comes back for a supercharger tune I will ofcourse share that tune with you

A quick answer of the questions here

1. I dont think it can control the A/T, however since this is an open source project there may be some way of doing it. I have never had an AT, so I never looked into it.
2. You can use the OEM O2 sensors for closed loop fueling, but not for tuning. I ditched them and used my wideband for both.
3. This is a true PNP install, read the first page. You need to loop a connector on the side of the new ECU, thats all.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Old 09-12-16, 03:34 AM
Robgrob
Rookie

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
I've been off CL forever and I can't believe more people haven't taken tried Megasquirt given the cost of a DIY kit and the results vs the crappy old ECU. The MS3 capable of running the 1UZ's original hardware has been available for so long! Mine has been running without any issues for several years as OP has probably experienced in his other MS applications. Good luck and hopefully more people ditch the stock ECU.

Agreed. Buy the ECU, use my tune if you want to try it, fine tune the AFR if needed and never think of it again.

There are new versions of the software that are better than my old MSQ version btw. I would strongly recommend them.

Quick Reply: Rob`s SC400 PNP Megasquirt project