Old 11-17-18, 07:23 AM
megamon21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mega squirt tune help needed text me 9543176927

Can you email or tex me 9543176927
newmaninvestments21@gmail.com

QUOTE=Robgrob;8889654]After buying a SC400 this fall, it

turned out it had a defective ECU, AFM or some other EFI related issue that was really hard to figure out. Instead of throwing money at the stock system, and in dialogue with the seller that almost ended in returning the vehicle, we split the cost of a megasquirt PNP system for the Supra JZ80 2J engine!

First things first, specs before megasquirting:

92 SC400
2x 2.5" catless exhaust on stock headers
"BFI"
W58 manual transmission

I want to keep the car street friendly, but with some occasional track and drag duty. Ill need some upgrades and I made a quick list:

Electric fan conversion
AC delete
Hurricane headers if they fit LHD cars
Oil cooler
LSD
Bushing upgrade
Supra suspension parts

Enough bull, lets get to the point. I got a PNP ECU from DIY autotune. The ECU was made for the 1 and 2J engines, but it works on the V8 with just some small modifications and a new MSQ (map). The install took about 6 hours in total, Id say 1h was the megasquirt, and the rest was the wideband, new intake and sorting a few details. The stock front O2 sensor was seized in the header, so I had to cut it in half with a large punch and then use a 22mm socket on it.

Stock ECU:

The fun parts:

Stock VS PNP ECU:

New ECU installed - Anyone know what the top right hand ECU is by the way?

The vacuum hose was routed through the passenger side fender well trough the firewall:

Stock there is a solenoid for the fuel pressure regulator. Im not shure is this needs to be removed or not, but it looks cleaner and the solenoid is a potential leak point, so I did.. Here is the stock vac hose connections:

Here the solenoid is disconnected, the FPR has a direct connection to the manifold and the ECU has its own vacuum source:

The only wiring I had to do was done on the "options" connector on the ECU. The options connector offers 23 pins of various outputs, some are programable, others are spark outputs etc. Since the 1UZ has a slightly different wiring then the 6 coil xJZ engine, I had to loop spark output E with output B. This is because the megasquirt has to use output B for coil #2. I also put a wire for wideband O2 sensor input on the connector.

The AFM is no longer needed, so I removed it completely. Engine bay before install:

New 3" pod filter with professional heat shields:

Im planning on cutting a hole and put the filter into the fender well. The cardboard shields will do for now to keep some hot air out.

Software:
I used the 2JZ MSQ file and reworked it. Almost every setting needed to be modified, so it was pretty much like starting from a blank file. I used the VE basemap creator to create a VE table, and that looked quite good. I created a spark table based on previous experience, since I could not find any spark maps for the 1UZ out there. On 100KPA / 15psi (thats WOT on NA, not 15psi boost!) I set 30 degrees from about 4000RPM to redline as a baseline. Hopefully that will keep me from knocking.

The car started on the first try! A few minor settings on the idle IAC had to be adjusted, and then the car idled @ 1000RPM as commanded! Unfortunately, my Innovate LC2 crapped out on me after just 1 minute, and has to be returned to Innovate for repair Hopefully I can find a replacement to use for tuning.

Im happy to share my MSQ with anyone who needs it. More info, tuning updates and so on will follow when I get a new wideband installed. Ill head to the dyno at some point after my new headers have arrived.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-19-18, 11:16 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Very cool set up! I ran MS3 pro on my 2jzge swapped cressida and absolutely loved it.
Old 11-19-18, 12:35 PM
xCWolf
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome stuff!

Anyone have any ideas what I would need to do to keep my auto trans? I assume I'd have to keep the factory ECU to control the trans and than use the aftermarket for fuel/ignition/air?
Old 12-11-21, 04:33 AM
Mechanicaz
Driver School Candidate

I just tried your msq file with the new firmware and it creates a heap of error messages , I chose to ignore them and now I keep getting a "No RPM Sync". Would you happen to have an updated msq file for the 3.1.06 version of tunerstudio?
Old 12-21-21, 07:13 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanicaz
I just tried your msq file with the new firmware and it creates a heap of error messages , I chose to ignore them and now I keep getting a "No RPM Sync". Would you happen to have an updated msq file for the 3.1.06 version of tunerstudio?
This was such an old thread I didn’t ask about sync loss, but we had issues using the stock distributor with sync loss on our 2JZ MS. We found a thread on the MS forum where someone solves it with a bridge of resistors to improve the signal from the distributor. It worked perfectly. Basically someone dug into the stock ecu and saw how Toyota was filtering the signal from the vr sensors. I can post the link if you need it.
Old 12-21-21, 09:27 PM
Mechanicaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXRodger
This was such an old thread I didn’t ask about sync loss, but we had issues using the stock distributor with sync loss on our 2JZ MS. We found a thread on the MS forum where someone solves it with a bridge of resistors to improve the signal from the distributor. It worked perfectly. Basically someone dug into the stock ecu and saw how Toyota was filtering the signal from the vr sensors. I can post the link if you need it.
Can't hurt to give it a go
Old 12-21-21, 11:55 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanicaz
Can't hurt to give it a go
https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewt...?f=131&t=68747