Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1uzfe w58 in a new edge mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-14, 10:15 AM
Driftstang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1uzfe w58 in a new edge mustang

New to this website and to toyota/lexus stuff in general, and I currently have a 2000 v6 mustang, and I have some friends that have 1uz swapped 240's, and they suggested that I go with the 1uz route, mainly, because it's never been done. I'm pretty set on the idea, but I was just looking for some guidance and direction. I've heard that the w58 1uz conversion is pretty straight forward, but idk if it would work in a mustang. Thanks -jared.(no hate please, I mean hey, we all like cars and building stuff).
Old 11-06-14, 03:36 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a t56 swap kit out there for the 1uz. That might be easier as that's a trans that I believe is native to the mustang platform and is a lot stronger. Then you could fit the supercharger from a cobra and have a budget homemade terminator cobra. That would be really cool.

Ps. you should head over to lextreme, they're the experts for anything and everything lexus v8.

Last edited by maynanator; 11-06-14 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-07-14, 09:36 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

As a former Mustang owner, no hate here.

However I will only say this much about this swap idea: in the 240SX which is a very lightweight RWD car it makes sense. In the Nissan you can pretty much leave the engine stock at 250-260hp and you have instantly improved the power to weight ratio with 100hp more than stock (155hp KA) and much more torque. No very costly tuning to the 1UZ engine required. In the heavier Mustang chassis the 4.0L V8 is going to be a much pricier proposition than finding a 4.6L SOHC or DOHC and modifying that.

The 1UZ series is going to require a pricey custom supercharger build with an Eaton M90 or a twin turbo build to make power like the Ford and competitor Chevy V8's.

Yes, you can adapt a variety of well known Toyota, Ford and GM manual transmissions with custom kits.

The 1UZ is a great engine but just be forewarned that you will encounter some big costs to get into serious horsepower with one versus doing the same with a Ford 4.6L swap. It doesn't respond to simple modification the way Ford and GM performance V8 engines do which is the reason for forced induction. And before that, you will have significant cost getting the stock engine and a manual transmission swapped into your car.

I would simply say that you should investigate the costs of everything you plan to do initially and in the long term. Look at those figures and decide if the 1UZ is still what you want to do or if a more common engine swap for your chassis will better serve your ultimate goals.

If you're determined, by all means go for it! But look at all the variables first. All swaps/builds are not created equal unfortunately.

Another thing I just thought of is that you should look into your options for upgrading the rear solid axle on your car. I do believe you'll need to source a stronger 8.8" GT rear axle no matter what engine your choose to go with as the V6 models from that series have less durable rear axle that is also more narrow than GT's.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-07-14 at 09:42 PM.