Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 12:22 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 118 Posts

Those are nice, I had custom ones made on mine too, makes the car look lower without being too low.

Back to thread related topic... Always loved your build RedSpencer!. I'm thinking about PPE Headers too eventually. OSGiken I want more but my friend had a horrible time finding someone (overpriced or underskilled) to install it into a extra OEM diff for his 08 ISF in LA (I think he's had OSGiken for over 2 years and it's still not installed on his car) so I've been hesitant on getting it. I drive my car harder in corners than straights and always had that nagging thought in my mind to get a LSD.
Old 11-02-18, 12:49 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Marn1
Thanks for the specs, I already receive the new spark plugs as it seems they have never changed them over her 150k miles of use and tomorrow I will receive the KN drop in filter. I might try axle back instead of cat back since the power gains difference are very little between the too.
Also, there is a local guy who makes plastic splitters for most cars and asked me $180 bucks for the whole car but seeing yours pretty much stock is making me think twice about the need of those splitters as my car uses stock height and wheels.
That's a great price for the front and rear splitters and the pictures you posted look nice as bakalag had mentioned. Though I'm still using a stock lip, I'm considering making a mild upgrade with a GFX-replica front lip as I've always liked the subtle sporty look to them.

Definitely look into a new exhaust setup as it really complements the F-Sport intake box (low RPM rumble of the exhaust and high RPM wail of the intake).

Originally Posted by bakalag
Those are nice, I had custom ones made on mine too, makes the car look lower without being too low.

Back to thread related topic... Always loved your build RedSpencer!. I'm thinking about PPE Headers too eventually. OSGiken I want more but my friend had a horrible time finding someone (overpriced or underskilled) to install it into a extra OEM diff for his 08 ISF in LA (I think he's had OSGiken for over 2 years and it's still not installed on his car) so I've been hesitant on getting it. I drive my car harder in corners than straights and always had that nagging thought in my mind to get a LSD.
Very beautiful car! It has a very aggressive motorsports look without being over the top.

PPE headers will absolutely wake up the 2GR-FSE as it gets rid of the restrictive OEM headers and an ECU tune is highly recommended to supplement the headers as it tends to lead to several obnoxious CEL codes as I had experienced the past few months due to being catless.

On another note, thanks to RR Racing and their updated tune, I've finally rid of the P0138 code that had been a nuisance for me the past month and a half! I can finally go back to enjoying the car without the CEL popping up each day

Since you're driving your car harder in corners than straights, a LSD would definitely benefit your setup though a simple upgrade to max or extreme performance rated tires can significantly increase the available grip and traction for a nominal cost (which it looks like you've already done since you're running Michelin PSS tires like me). I think another option is the Torsen LSD from an IS-F but I can't recall if anyone had successfully installed one on their IS350.
Old 11-02-18, 01:12 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Thanks!

Yea this is my 3rd car. 1st was a S2000 (OEM LSD), 2nd was a G20 5MT with OEM LSD in the front, so this non LSD feeling sucks. Though the 14/12 BC Racing/Swift coilovers + Michelin PS4s helped. Also by following your thread, I ended up getting a lower front chassis bar and finished the F Sport sway set (had rear only).

I actually plan to go back to 18's since the wheel offsets are too aggressive on my 19's, I had to downsize back to 225/255. Maybe go back to PSS also. I like the PSS over the Pilot Sport 4s. They had better turn in feel on the PSS and firmer sidewalls. The 4s still grip well but response time feels delayed. My GSF friend had the exact same feeling and went from PSS to PS4s back to PSS on 255/295's. I saw there is a ATS LSD also but seems OS Giken is the way to go. Does the ISF one work on a IS350?

I wish you were closer to me, it's rare to find IS350 owners who drive their cars hard in the corners =P
My build is similar to yours in a sense on how we use it =)

F-Sport Shocks on Swift Springs, BC Racing Coilovers with Swift Springs 14/12k, F-Sport Front and Rear Sway, F-Sport Intake, from secondary cats X-pipe to Flowmaster mufflers, RR Racing 7200, 19inch 225/255 PS4s (will go to 245/275 PSS or similar grippy tire on GramLights 18's once tires are done), StopTech Slotted Rotors, Brembo pads (Are Project Mu pads good? hated the Brembos, due for a replacement on all 4 within 1 week or 2), FIGS LCA 90 bushings, 4 Pt front lower brace

Future: PPE Headers, OS Giken, Assorted Suspension bits (maybe the other suspension components to control alignment settings)
Old 11-02-18, 01:27 PM
Marn1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow beautiful car!!! That rear splitter looks awesome!!! Since you mention low and I know Red's car has F sport springs and shocks, I wonder what spring rates those have and what design( linear, progressive ect).
Old 11-02-18, 01:32 PM
Marn1
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=redspencer;10349702]That's a great price for the front and rear splitters and the pictures you posted look nice as bakalag had mentioned. Though I'm still using a stock lip, I'm considering making a mild upgrade with a GFX-replica front lip as I've always liked the subtle sporty look to them.

Definitely look into a new exhaust setup as it really complements the F-Sport intake box (low RPM rumble of the exhaust and high RPM wail of the intake).

Yeah 180 for the 4 pieces is a realloy good deal, since I live in PR heavy stuff like exhausts almost add like 25% on shipping costs that is why Im using your data to see what I can do locally. Im trying to set up an axle back to complement the F sport replica mod Im doing on mine. Do you happen to have a picture of yours modded? Sorry to jump in your port like that.

Good thing you finally deal with the damn CEL, For what you said, you pretty much are obligated to the the ECU retuned if you install headers to avoid the CEL.
Old 11-02-18, 10:06 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Hello Red

Im new member here but not new to Lexus. I took the time to read the whole post till the last page and your project looks awesome. I was going to asking about some DIY such as modifying the stock air box for example the specs of the hole you made. Here in Puerto Rico people overprice parts but on the good side, you get to make custom stuff really cheap. I was checking up to see of I can get a cheap used Joe Z pipe combine it with the modified air box and a KN drop in filter plus after looking at all the data you have, I may pass on headers and move on to fabricate a custom cat back.

Thanks for sharing all this info.

Not to thread jack Red's, but I'll post this here since I have a spare. Though I made a 3.00" hole right in the center of the box. The numbers in yellow are center marks. It's pretty much dead on center to the lower air box.

Old 11-02-18, 10:15 PM
Marn1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Not to thread jack Red's, but I'll post this here since I have a spare. Though I made a 3.00" hole right in the center of the box. The numbers in yellow are center marks. It's pretty much dead on center to the lower air box.

Thank you!
Old 11-03-18, 04:17 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Maybe go back to PSS also. I like the PSS over the Pilot Sport 4s. They had better turn in feel on the PSS and firmer sidewalls. The 4s still grip well but response time feels delayed. My GSF friend had the exact same feeling and went from PSS to PS4s back to PSS on 255/295's. I saw there is a ATS LSD also but seems OS Giken is the way to go.

I wish you were closer to me, it's rare to find IS350 owners who drive their cars hard in the corners =P
My build is similar to yours in a sense on how we use it =)

BC Racing Coilovers with Swift Springs 14/12k, F-Sport Front and Rear Sway, F-Sport Intake, from secondary cats X-pipe to Flowmaster mufflers, RR Racing 7200, 19inch 225/255 PS4s (will go to 245/275 PSS or similar grippy tire on GramLights 18's once tires are done), StopTech Slotted Rotors, Brembo pads (Are Project Mu pads good? hated the Brembos, due for a replacement on all 4 within 1 week or 2), FIGS LCA 90 bushings, 4 Pt front lower brace
That's a very interesting side-by-side comparison that you and your GSF friend had between the PSS and PS4S tires. It is known that the PS4S model has improved dry traction with reduced hot spots over the PSS model and I believe improved wet traction as well but there haven't been any direct comparisons between the two tires that I could find online. How a tire feels at turn-in and how it communicates its threshold limits is critical for maximizing the slip angle of the tire for peak grip while minimizing the impact of an abrupt break in traction (depending on how progressive the tire reaches and surpasses its limits). At the moment, I don't believe there are PS4S tires that match my current configuration so I can't comment on how the new tires compare to the old model but one year I might.

I'm glad we're getting more interest in the 2IS350 as a track-capable platform (especially as prices for the 2IS350 continue to become lower which can make them an affordable build project).

Based on what I've read on the ATS LSD, though it has a lower initial price than the OS Giken, it will require significantly more preventative maintenance (fluid changes and rebuilds) compared to the OS Giken which has the preventative maintenance schedule similar to a torsen LSD (change fluids every 30-50k miles).

Since you mention low and I know Red's car has F sport springs and shocks, I wonder what spring rates those have and what design( linear, progressive ect).
The F-Sport springs are progressive (though the top coils are now dead coils as they are compressed together) with a maximum rate of around 7kg/mm. The reason why I continue to use this setup is not for the springs but for the Bilstein shocks as these are very well tuned for the 2IS350 and the dampers are very good at communicating to me on what each corner of the suspension is doing when the tires are under load during a turn.

Do you happen to have a picture of yours modded?
In addition to the clean circular cutout pics that MikeFig82 had posted above (nice job BTW), I found a pic that I took two years ago of my modded OEM lower intake box in comparison to the authentic F-Sport lower intake box that I eventually purchased. Not sure what the exact measurements were but you can visually get an idea of the dimensions for your DIY project.

Last edited by redspencer; 11-03-18 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-03-18, 02:02 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

You are absolutely right about wet, I noticed the PS4s grip was better in the wet than the PSS. I also had another friend who switched to PS4s in an ISF with the same sizes from PSS, He loves them, noted the same thing about turn in, but also much better stability at higher speeds 150+ MPH compared the PSS setup he had. I think if someone goes from a less grippy tire to a PS4s tire, probably won't notice the delay I am mentioning. I'm also curious to see if other people have the same observations.

Yup I saw the ATS maintenance is more often so that was thrown off my list.
Old 11-09-18, 11:13 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Though non-Lexus related, for those of you interested in a very good technical read on how a car manufacturer does R&D to improve the vehicle handling dynamics of a new generation model (in this case, BMW with its new G20 3-Series), this was a great article of the technical aspects on how the engineers worked to improve the steering feedback/directness, load transfer during lateral acceleration, track width and weight distribution, chassis stiffness and its effects on suspension load, etc. from the outgoing model (the highly criticized F30) to the new model (G20). I'm surprised that this detailed article came from Jalopnik of all sources!

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering...ing-1830257906

As I noted in one of my previous posts, its these types of continuous improvements (kaizen) that I like to research, reverse engineer, and potentially apply to my build (if feasible). This has me re-exploring the option of installing a set of Spoon subframe rigid collars to further enhance chassis rigidity (more $$$ )
The following users liked this post:
Marn1 (11-09-18)
Old 11-12-18, 03:06 PM
NowSlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi. For an LSD install in the LA area try Unitrax (gounitrax.com) in Anaheim. Diffs are their main thing. They did the install of a O S Giken in my 2011 IS350. It took about two days and worked perfectly. Big improvement at the track. No more spinning the inside tire coming off the turns. Great!!

Last edited by NowSlow; 11-12-18 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 02:00 PM
redspencer
OG Member

After patiently waiting over a year and a half and having to decide on alternative brand tires over my current Michelin PSS, I'm happy to note that Michelin finally has the newer PS4S tires in my current rear tire configuration as of this week (275/35/18)!

As my rear tires are right at the wear limit, I was contemplating on picking up a rear set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s or the General G-Max RS as the price is inviting but since the new generation of Michelin Pilot Sports are out for my size, I'll be going with those and I'll post a review once I install and break them in.
Old 12-12-18, 03:40 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice! looking forward to the review! I thought for 18s you had to run 40 side wall?
Old 12-13-18, 07:14 AM
redspencer
OG Member

For stock tires, a 40 sidewall is necessary to maintain the proper tire diameter (661mm). With a 275mm tire, a 40 sidewall would increase the diameter by 16mm (677mm) and would adversely impact acceleration.

A 275/35/18 tire would decrease the tire diameter by 11mm (650mm) and would have less of an impact on the overall speedometer and VDIM calibration. Another plus side is a small gain in acceleration with a 35 sidewall vice 40 sidewall.
Old 12-13-18, 10:44 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
For stock tires, a 40 sidewall is necessary to maintain the proper tire diameter (661mm). With a 275mm tire, a 40 sidewall would increase the diameter by 16mm (677mm) and would adversely impact acceleration.

A 275/35/18 tire would decrease the tire diameter by 11mm (650mm) and would have less of an impact on the overall speedometer and VDIM calibration. Another plus side is a small gain in acceleration with a 35 sidewall vice 40 sidewall.
ahh thanks for the knowledge

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread