Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Old 07-10-18, 07:27 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

It's been a while since I last posted but there have been some more updates to the car since then. The Megan Racing midpipes were installed last week and I noticed that there are a few subtle changes to both the sound and the powerband. I haven't had a chance to do any datalogs or multiple WOT pulls but here's my initial analysis of the differences:

Sound-wise, there's a deeper tone within the exhaust system at around 2500-3500 RPMs. There's no drone when at cruising speeds on the highway and at WOT, the PPE headers/Megan midpipes/F-Sport exhaust setup sounds slightly louder than the previous setup with the PPE headers/OEM midpipes/F-Sport exhaust. From listening to various sound clips from folks with a PPE header/Invidia midpipe/F-Sport exhaust setup (which is noticeably loud), my setup seems to be loud enough without causing too much unwanted attention from passersby or the neighbors. I'll post a sound clip later.

Powerband-wise, I do notice a subtle shift in how the IS350 delivers its power when swapping out the OEM midpipes to a 2.5" midpipe setup. You can feel a very slight loss of backpressure when initially pressing on the pedal when at idle. It's nowhere as bad as lag on a turboed vehicle but its a minute difference compared to the previous setup. As the RPMs start to climb, there is a new surge of power at the mid-to-high RPM range. I haven't reset the ECU as I didn't want to lose my high KCLV but I'm guessing the ECU is still learning to adjust to the new exhaust system with minimal backpressure. There is a more noticeable smell emitting from the exhaust tailpipes now that the IS350 is fully catless (because racecar) but I'm careful to keep the WOT pulls to a minimum when I have passengers inside.

Old 07-10-18, 11:29 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Nice work Red! Looking forward to a vid of the updated setup.
Old 07-11-18, 12:04 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Gville350
Nice work Red! Looking forward to a vid of the updated setup.
It certainly feels like the ECU has finally adjusted to the full catback exhaust with headers setup as I initially noticed that the car seemed confused with the throttle response and power output immediately after the install. It felt like the ECU wasn't quite sure what to do at the mid/high RPM range. Now the power delivery feels smoother and the initial lag I felt when pressing on the gas while at idle seems to have disappeared as well.

I hope to collect some new datalogs and videos of some WOT pulls soon. One of my buddies spotted me on the road going WOT earlier today and noticed a puff of smoke from the exhaust when the car shifted so I'm guessing my car's AFR is still running rich. At partial throttle, the exhaust isn't much louder than my previous setup but at WOT with the windows down, it's certainly louder (but not obnoxiously so, IMO). The exhaust smell also seems to be improving somewhat. Perhaps the metal from the new midpipes have finally broken in.

On a side note, the red paint from my JDM TRD metal emblem that I picked up a year or two ago was fading drastically. Rather than throw it in the garbage (along with the $60 I initially paid for it), I picked up a can of metallic silver paint and repainted that emblem. Now it looks more discreet and a bit classier.

Old 07-14-18, 01:21 PM
redspencer
OG Member

I finally had a good opportunity to do multiple 3rd gear pulls at WOT today as I wanted to see if there were any noticeable differences regarding the datalogs from my new setup (Headers with full-catback exhaust [no cats] + Tune) compared to the previous setup (Headers with axleback exhaust + Tune).

For those of you that like to crunch the data, here is what I obtained from the three pulls that I did this morning. First pull was in both 2nd and 3rd gear. The second and third pulls were in 3rd Gear.

Here is a brief summary of my datalog which was consistent with the three WOT pulls:

- KCLV was at 22
- Knock Feedback Value (KFV) was at -3
- Lambda at WOT from mid/high RPMs was 0.78
- IAT was at low 90s
- Peak MAF reading at 7200RPM was 244 g/s
- Peak Ignition Timing Advance was 29.5

1st WOT Pull (2nd and 3rd gear):

2nd WOT Pull (3rd gear):

3rd WOT Pull (3rd Gear):

For comparison sake, below is the previous datalog from my older setup that was extracted from when I took the IS350 to the dyno:

Previous datalog:
Old 07-14-18, 02:32 PM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So there is a general rule of thumb that I've used with half decent accuracy in the past.

for every pound minute of air your engine can take in you potentially can make 10 horsepower.

Based off the logs it looks like you picked up a fair bit of flow. 237g/s (31.3 lbs/min) on the original log. 244 g/s (32.3 lbs/min).
Theoretically you picked up about 10 horsepower.
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 02:45 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Thanks for the analysis. I'll have to do some more research to learn more about the relationship between the MAF CFM (or g/s) and the potential rwhp output.

I was able to quickly collect some additional data this morning while the temperature was a bit cooler and managed to get the MAF reading to 246 g/s at 7200 RPM.

Old 07-18-18, 12:29 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

If you are willing to buy the filter and make your own heat shield I am playing with 3d printing a maf housing/velocity stack that would replace the stock air box. I can't recall the exact numbers but I picked up a few g/sec after ditching the oem intake. I bet you would clear 250g/sec.
Old 07-19-18, 05:14 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by DickH
If you are willing to buy the filter and make your own heat shield I am playing with 3d printing a maf housing/velocity stack that would replace the stock air box. I can't recall the exact numbers but I picked up a few g/sec after ditching the oem intake. I bet you would clear 250g/sec.
You're always working in the lab to come up with new creative ways to squeeze every bit of power out of the 2GR-FSE engine. I prefer to stay in an OEM+ style configuration but I am highly interested in seeing updates to your 3D printing project and how the results pan out.
Old 07-25-18, 11:18 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Well let me know if you change your mind. The stock airbox is a restriction, even with an aftermarket filter.

so when are we getting a sound clip?
Old 07-25-18, 01:07 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by DickH
Well let me know if you change your mind. The stock airbox is a restriction, even with an aftermarket filter.

so when are we getting a sound clip?
Will do. If the setup looks clean, I would likely be interested. Did you already complete your prototype build?

I haven't had a chance to drive my car in two weeks because I've been on travel for work going to places like Yuma, AZ, San Diego, CA, and Honolulu, HI (yes, that last location was grueling ). I just got back a few hours ago and am still jet lagged.

I do want to post some sound clips up because today on my drive back, I noticed that if I would go WOT and immediately let go of the gas pedal, as the RPMs start to drop into the midrange, there's a lot of metallic sound/noise emitting from the PPE headers. I assume it's a normal rasp-type sound but I'd definitely like to receive some additional feedback.

Rather than make this a mere narrative update, here are a few random pics from my recent work travel (the rental cars definitely lack the steering feel and chassis feedback that I'm used to with my IS350):

1) Yuma, AZ (Lots and lots of desert and rock formations):

2) San Diego, CA (I happened to be in the area when the city was hosting the 2018 Comic Con International Convention which was fun to browse around):

3) Honolulu, HI (Though the flight there and back was not fun, staying the weekend there was well worth it!):

Old 07-25-18, 05:46 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Will do. If the setup looks clean, I would likely be interested. Did you already complete your prototype build?

I haven't had a chance to drive my car in two weeks because I've been on travel for work going to places like Yuma, AZ, San Diego, CA, and Honolulu, HI (yes, that last location was grueling ). I just got back a few hours ago and am still jet lagged.

I do want to post some sound clips up because today on my drive back, I noticed that if I would go WOT and immediately let go of the gas pedal, as the RPMs start to drop into the midrange, there's a lot of metallic sound/noise emitting from the PPE headers. I assume it's a normal rasp-type sound but I'd definitely like to receive some additional feedback.

Rather than make this a mere narrative update, here are a few random pics from my recent work travel (the rental cars definitely lack the steering feel and chassis feedback that I'm used to with my IS350):

1) Yuma, AZ (Lots and lots of desert and rock formations):

2) San Diego, CA (I happened to be in the area when the city was hosting the 2018 Comic Con International Convention which was fun to browse around):

3) Honolulu, HI (Though the flight there and back was not fun, staying the weekend there was well worth it!):

Nice places you visited.
Old 07-25-18, 05:54 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 668 Posts

I got another 3IS intake pipe the non Sound Generator, and when installed. I noticed the OE rubber pipe was extremely hot inside. This is just on a 30 minute commute. I then had an extra 3IS sound generator pipe.

Ran test with a blow dryer inside the pipes. The old rubber one retains the heat like crazy. I like the way the new platic pipe on the the 3IS doesn't retain heat. Maybe you can experiment with that. Just for thoughts I did remove the screen on the throttle body gasket also. As I'm also would like to squeaze every ounce of power out on my 250 LOL.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 07-25-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 06:20 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I got another 3IS intake pipe the non Sound Generator, and when installed. I noticed the OE rubber pipe was extremely hot inside. This is just on a 30 minute commute. I then had an extra 3IS sound generator pipe.

Ran test with a blow dryer inside the pipes. The old rubber one retains the heat like crazy. I like the way the new platic pipe on the the 3IS doesn't retain heat. Maybe you can experiment with that. Just for thoughts I did remove the screen on the throttle body gasket also. As I'm also would like to squeaze every ounce of power out on my 250 LOL.
What do you guys think of RR Racing's carbon intake? Think it would be better for air intake temps versus the metal F-Sport intake which I find gets pretty warm after some driving.
https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...isxitk0001.htm
Old 07-25-18, 08:46 PM
DickH
Intermediate

The engine bay is going to heat up to whatever temperature, anything in it that isn't cooled will eventually even out to that temperature. Some materials transfer hear better than others, for an intake track plastic works just fine. It feels so hot because it transfers heat slowly and isn't cooled as much by the air following through inside. I believe the best bang for the buck with our intakes is to insulate it all for ~20-30 dollars.

Old 07-26-18, 10:44 PM
redspencer
OG Member

For those of you that have been patiently waiting, here are several WOT sound clips of the IS350 with the RR Racing ECU Tune, PPE Headers/Megan Racing Midpipes/F-Sport Exhaust and Intake. Two pulls were recorded from a dig and one was recorded as a highway pull.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread