Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

something never been done to the headlights

Old 10-28-14, 11:51 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really looking forward to this man . You are in the process of making something great and I hope that this works out as you expect because this would look bad***!! If this doesn't work out, maybe you can look into that other design posted earlier many members would buy them in my mind without a doubt. Anyways great progress, looking forward to more updates on this.
Old 10-29-14, 07:35 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaker13
I'm really looking forward to this man . You are in the process of making something great and I hope that this works out as you expect because this would look bad***!! If this doesn't work out, maybe you can look into that other design posted earlier many members would buy them in my mind without a doubt. Anyways great progress, looking forward to more updates on this.
thank you, i'm not loosing any enthusiasm for this, it's actually really fun and you get a taste of how production works and minimizing costs and such. efficient design i should say. i'll have another update this weekend of the resize. i also thought of an awesome way to fully build the headlights and 92-94 tail lights. it's gonna be absolutely wicked, i can't wait. i'm starting to gather supplies now.
Old 10-29-14, 07:05 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i miscalculated it lol. i really didn't measure anything, i just went with it and wanted it to look good. so now just have to shrink it and simplify the inside of it because i'm wasting plastic on the inside. they charged me $11, the last one was $1.93 lol. they charge 10 cents by the gram
Oh wow, that's a big difference in price lol good luck getting it down to size, I want to see it in the assembly haha
Old 10-29-14, 07:36 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

here's how much i had to adjust the size lol. the left is the old one, right is the new one, also removed a lot of detail on the inside that was wasting plastic and lots of rafts were inside pointlessly. i had a flat piece sticking out and now i just blended it into the body itself so less plastic used and less rafts and more rigid.

more measurements this time, not taking any chances, this R&D stuff is getting expensive lol

Old 10-29-14, 09:00 PM
Slaker13
Driver

i also thought of an awesome way to fully build the headlights and 92-94 tail lights. it's gonna be absolutely wicked, i can't wait. i'm starting to gather supplies now.
Really looking forward to this even though I have 95' tails.
Old 10-29-14, 09:21 PM
ninjaCEO
Driver School Candidate

Excellent looking good, can't wait to see the final product!
Old 10-29-14, 11:47 PM
bank
Driver

Creative! Looking forward to this keep it up!!
Old 10-30-14, 11:03 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Slaker13
Really looking forward to this even though I have 95' tails.
well the 3D printed stuff is for the headlights, the tail lights i have something else in mind and it could be done the same way to the 95 tails as well. stay tuned, *****s about to go down lol. submitting the print again tonight. getting paid tomorrow so i'll be buying more supplies
Old 10-30-14, 11:20 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

do you guys care about if i upload the work files on here? is anyone interested in working side by side on their own version? i can upload OBJ, maya MB, maya ASCII, and FBX, and figure out other file types if you need them. let me know if anyone is interested and you guys can join along and build something similar or completely different. or learn along the way.
Old 11-02-14, 10:55 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

new print is done and it's almost perfect! just need to move it back, move it down a bit and maybe angle it, i'll do one angled and one straight and see how they look. the clips in the back are absolutely perfect fit, will make the tabs stick out further and less pronounced because it's really hard to take the housing back out lol, i actually broke one of the clips cz i had to press that hard to get it out (ABS doesn't bend very much, just cracks eventually)

ignore the rafting inside the light, still has to be cleaned up

as you can see, sticks out way too far lol

perfect fit on the clips, the whole housing sits incredibly snug

Old 11-06-14, 11:18 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

so close!!! thought the lamp would fit without being tilted or resized but it looks like it won't, can't move the face back any further because it gets really stubby looking and i'm running out of room on the inside of the model. so i'm gonna tilt it back a little to match the line of the lens.

also, modeled and 3D printed the katakana font Toyota emblems! gonna sand and paint them tmr and stick em on the car! a repaint wuold be nice first but whatever.

this is almost perfect, just a couple more degrees of rotation needed

looks great from the front!

and the emblem!

Old 11-07-14, 07:48 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a suggestion; the front part of the L doesn't really need to be flat, you can design it to have a curve or angle that goes with the lenses, cause once it lights up with LED, it'll still look like an L shape from the front.
Old 11-07-14, 11:42 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Just a suggestion; the front part of the L doesn't really need to be flat, you can design it to have a curve or angle that goes with the lenses, cause once it lights up with LED, it'll still look like an L shape from the front.
that's a good idea, i'll form it to the lens then, or at least attempt to.
Old 11-15-14, 02:56 AM
Slaker13
Driver

and the emblem!

So jealous! Did you get it on the car? If so any pics?
Old 11-16-14, 01:18 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

yes i did actually! today i did it, painted the letters white with a paint marker and then clear coated. sorry for the splotches of primer, car really needs a paint job, but i'll probably do it after winter, what's the point of beating a new paint with salt.

temp plate while i was waiting for a replacement plate cz i lost my front one

i was thinking of putting the logo on the hood in the front instead of the bumper, haven't done it yet, what do you think? and also the new plate came in lol and the last pic was before i put it on. needs wash as well. i don't remember the last time i rinsed her down. probably do it when i raise it for the winter.

EDIT: those holes still need to be covered up, but i got something pretty hilarious for at least a few of them lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: something never been done to the headlights