Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 11:16 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Wait....Gerry, you've installed a T56 Magnum in a Supra/SC???

Dude....why am I always the last to hear about these things
Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Gerry has the Transmission. He has not installed.

I have been running the T56 Magnum in my car since April. Check out my build thread, I dont frequent on the forums that much anymore

Link to builld where T56 swap starts: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-build-62.html
I have a Brand New Tremec Magnum from factory then was built to handle +1000 ft/lbs of torque and costs $5200 after the build. It has a $3000 triple disk clutch / pressure plate / flywheel . It is a good bump from the 700ft/lbs stock of the OEM Tremec Magnum. If anyone is interested where I got it built , PM me. I haven't installed it yet though since it is going into my Ultimate SC Sleeper with a stroker engine which am slowly building since it is draining every play money I have . I am about to print counter-fit $$$ just to fund this expensive hobby , lmaol, .

I have installed a stock Tremec Magnum on a MKIV and CD009 on a 240sx . Both had dual clutch and both are not mine. Did try to help friends to save some dough . Between the two , the Tremec was all bolt in and easier to install. Nothing to worry about not fitting or hammering or having a row boat shifting experience. It was as though it came stock on the Supra MKIV. My buddy had a broken V160 and not being able to find a replacement for a good price , his best bet was go through the Tremec Magnum route. Having done the work for him , he gave me his broken V160 so I can use it eventually for parts on my cars that have the V160 . For the CD0009 on the 240sx , it wasn't as easy... am sure you have read a lot of thread here about that transmission swap.

Last edited by gerrb; 08-25-17 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 02:19 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
I have installed a stock Tremec Magnum on a MKIV and CD009 on a 240sx . Both had dual clutch and both are not mine. Between the two , the Tremec was all bolt in and easier to install. Nothing to worry about not fitting or hammering or having a row boat shifting experience.
Gerry...after talking with Joel Grannas (back and forth), he did mention that slight tapping/hammering is required for the MKIV/SC tunnel to clear the Sicky Shifter that comes with his kit. Are you saying it was a direct bolt in with his kit without clearance issue or was it a different kit?
Old 08-24-17, 03:53 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

^^^ For those who know what I mean by hammering on a CD009 install (with some of their adapters) ...really banging that lower firewall and tunnel , hammering on the Tremec Magnum is really basically nothing or no big deal . That is why I said nothing ! It is just for the shifter extension not to be in a bind.

Joel had to say it so he isn't blamed that he was misrepresenting things. The guy is a stand up guy . So even if we all know , in every swap , there may be some work , he had to mention something that was so trivial , IMHO.

Last edited by gerrb; 08-24-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 05:10 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Gerry...after talking with Joel Grannas (back and forth), he did mention that slight tapping/hammering is required for the MKIV/SC tunnel to clear the Sicky Shifter that comes with his kit. Are you saying it was a direct bolt in with his kit without clearance issue or was it a different kit?
The amount of clearance needed is minimal. He has a picture of it on his website. I could easily do more damage with 1 solid swing of a hammer. His kit is the most thorough and complete I have ever seen, and he tries to resolve any potential problems you might have before they come up.
Old 08-24-17, 10:43 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

can you buy the TR-6060 new from a chevy dealer? also, to make it work for the SC what other parts are needed?
Old 08-25-17, 05:38 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys all the question you are asking can be easily answered by looking a my build thread. I even posted the link a few places up...lol

If that is not enough go look on Grannas Racing website, he has detailed videos of the install.
Old 08-25-17, 12:45 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
^^^ For those who know what I mean by hammering on a CD009 install (with some of their adapters) ...really banging that lower firewall and tunnel , hammering on the Tremec Magnum is really basically nothing or no big deal . That is why I said nothing ! It is just for the shifter extension not to be in a bind.

Joel had to say it so he isn't blamed that he was misrepresenting things. The guy is a stand up guy . So even if we all know , in every swap , there may be some work , he had to mention something that was so trivial , IMHO.
Yeah, I only asked because I have been following that kit since he came out with it...and he mentions many times that the tunnel needs slight modifications. I have been in contact with Joel many many times, and I agree...he is a stand up guy, very knowledgeable, and great customer service. I was just curious as to what the level of "bolt up, nothing needs hammering" was when you performed it.
Old 08-25-17, 12:47 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
If that is not enough go look on Grannas Racing website, he has detailed videos of the install.
Yup! This...

Also, you may want to include a link to your build in you sig...just a thought.

Last edited by LexIS007; 08-25-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 07:13 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

YIKES! I need to get back to work. Now I want another expensive part.

R154 for sale! :-)
Old 07-03-18, 07:40 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Default New clutch costs more than the R154, yikes!

The car has been sitting since last fall. I decided to stay with the R154. Marlin Crawler said it did not sound like anything was wrong with my tranny. I needed a new clutch because my Clutchmasters FX400 were wearing out super prematurely and had again. Sometimes in a matter of months. We also could not diagnose a problem whereby starting the car on a steep hill required REALLY high RPM's. I purchased an OS Giken TR2CD, twin plate clutch, a new master cylinder, braided clutch cable, push-pull kit, pilot bearing , alternator and rear main seal. I will get these parts installed hoping to make my car drivable again. I know E85 should not sit that long. Its a climate controlled garage. This should help.
It was nice to take a break from spending money on this thing for a bit.
Old 07-03-18, 08:22 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Please keep us updated on how you like the OS Giken clutch. I want the same clutch, so would love to hear some feedback. Thanks
Old 07-07-18, 07:29 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I surely will!
Old 07-10-18, 01:21 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek

I purchased an OS Giken TR2CD, twin plate clutch, a new master cylinder, braided clutch cable, push-pull kit, pilot bearing , alternator and rear main seal. I will get these parts installed hoping to make my car drivable again. .
Do you like being noticed?

Prepare to be noticed.

Every time you reverse into a space at a car meet, people will ask - "What's wrong with your car?"
Every time you pull up to a gas pump, people will ask - "What's wrong with your car?"
Every time you pick up somebody new as a passenger, those people will ask - "What's wrong with your car?"

These clutches make a very distinct rattle-jingle noise when not engaged, you'll learn to love it.

Joking aside - would also like to hear your feedback once installed. I have the same clutch in my Soarer, but my best guess puts it at around 8 years old now and could probably use a rebuild. I like it when driving hard but takes a lot of getting used to to be good with it at slow speeds and around town. Not sure how much of the last point can be attributed to worn plates.

Let us know how you like it.
The following users liked this post:
Studiogeek (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 10:56 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I got a real laugh out of that. Thanks!
Yeah, I'm prepared. I feel I have read every thread and watched nearly every video available on this clutch (unless you have some obscure ones for me :-). Some people say it's really tricky to drive and others say it was easy to get used to. I'm sure installation and condition is the variable sometimes. Did you ever write a review/post on the clutch or installation?

Thank you
Old 09-26-18, 03:00 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

OK, I am finally back in the SC300. It had been sitting downstairs in my parking garage busted, since last year. It was pouring oil from the rear main seal, the clutches were burning out in months, It was giving me resistance going into first sometimes, the battery light was on, the battery was dead and it was making a loud, metallic noise from the front of the motor. I had just spent thousands on it and needed a break from bleeding money. I just drove the SC400 trouble free and pretended I wasn't in love with another, spicy car. The car sat with E85 in the tank for nearly a year and I was starting to get worried. The car could not be driven or towed (too tight) out of the garage so we had to get the car at least running well enough to drive it up and out of the garage. I assumed the battery light and noise was the alternator so I purchased a 200amp unit and we installed it. During the process, my crank pulley came apart in my mechanics hands. I ordered a Fluidampr and we installed it next. The car still would not start, so I got a new battery.. The car finally started and could be driven out and onto a flatbed to be towed to Long Island for the clutch install. Over the year I had been collecting parts to try to finally get it right. The clutch was NEVER right so I wanted everything in that system to be new and different. I also wanted to cover basic maintenance items. I had to bet on my tranny being OK. I had the OS Giken, the DW hydraulic TOB, a new master cylinder, a new Cube shifter, new plugs, ALL fluids, wires, new tranny mount, new motor mount, rear/front main seal, new Gates serpentine belt, new Gates tensioner, new bearings and some other parts I can't remember now. The first day they dropped the tranny, they discovered a crank seal leak, they fixed it, they discovered a water pump bearing going bad, they replaced the pump, They found an oil pan leak, they fixed it. They also did the front and rear main seals. They reported that they encountered a seized pilot bearing and loose, poorly threaded bolts on the bell housing. The car was there for two weeks. They also had to drop the tranny a few times to get the shimming and HTOB right but I did not pay for that. The parts were about 3.5K and the labor/parts from the shop was about $2500.
Now the good part....
The damn thing is fixed!
On the way home, I noticed that nearly everything I did not like about driving the car has subsided. I think the master cylinder or something was always faulty because it never felt right through several different clutch types. It took ridiculous revs to get it going on inclines, was on/off AF, killed clutches quickly, got excessively hot in traffic and was a nightmare to drive in traffic. This was not the fault of the Clutchmasters FX400. I drove other cars with it that were great.
Now onto the OS Giken..
So the TR2CD is not nearly as loud as It sounds on some videos. Maybe it will get worse when they have more space to flop around. It does not embarrass me or bother me at all (yet).
It's quite on/off and quite slippable at the same time (if you do it right). You need to be really precise with it or your mistake can have mildly violent effect, even at low rpm's you can easily be thrust out into traffic without trying to be. Low RPM and super light clutch aint gonna happen, you will stall out (at least for me in the 2 hrs I drove it). It really forces you to be a much better, engaged, precise driver. Screw up your heel and toe and you will break loose your rear with the bite. When I know what I'm doing with it, this is going to be a real blast to drive. The clamping force changes the game. It will kill you or make you look like a pro :-) It's a ridiculously, capable, aggressive yet comfortable, demanding yet rather intuitive setup so far. I resisted driving this setup for the last two days in the NYC torrential downpour. I need more hours with this setup before combining NYC traffic, steep hills and rain. After some seat hours, I would not hesitate to drive it carefully in the rain (but you still have to stay engaged and respectful).
This won't happen, but it makes me want to drive like a moron lighting them up (a lil' bit) on purpose all day. It's so easy to spin..
I enjoyed the ride home so much that it's been nearly impossible to stay out of it for 2 days....
So far, this it win, win, win (except this rain) guys!

(PS, I keep uploading the pics but I don't see any)

Last edited by Studiogeek; 09-26-18 at 03:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 95' Sc300 W' 68K Miles~Slow Morph to NA/T Thread