TruongJL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice start. keep posted
Old 02-27-14, 09:22 PM
davecarter
Driver School Candidate

OK so I've been a bit pre-occupied getting the 31 ready for Winton Matsuri last weekend but now that that is over, it's time to get some **** done on the Lexus.

Ordering a set of coilovers through Angry Industries now and will sort some tyres in the next week or two. After checking out a mates UCF10 running (F) 18x9 +25 225/40 and (R) 18x10 +25 245/40 I reckon I should be able to fit my more conservative rears and similar fronts under the guards without a roll, at least for the time being, with very similar tyre sizes. Might go down to a 215 up front just to be sure but a 245 in either a 35 or 40 series in the back should be the go.
Old 02-28-14, 02:14 PM
duballstar
Driver School Candidate

They let you tandem without a cage? That is very rare for the United States at a proper event.

Have you ever thought about running the 1UZ in your R31? Many guys in the 240 world are starting to do this swap and its a very cheap way to put a V8 into a drift car. Some guys like turbo, some guys don't. Personal preference, but don't let the dollar signs scare you.

The Lexus build looks great. I'm doing something very similar with my UCF10 and have a track car that I hope to finish and run a few smaller events this year. What brand of coilover are they using to custom fab a pair for the R31? I would assume S13, but there is most definitely a trick to the trade with the fabrication. On your Lexus, do you plan on running any arms or stock adjustments? My opinion on the tires, the larger sidewall you run (40) the smaller width you can stretch on the a larger wheel. I just stretched a 215/35 on a 19x10 for the front of my UCF10, but haven't test fitted yet. By the looks of the tire, I might want a 225 or I have to back down to 19x9 for the front (which will fit the 19x9 fine). We will just have to find out when I lower the jack. I was aiming for functional and it go out of hand. Haha Best of luck to you.
Old 03-03-14, 04:32 PM
davecarter
Driver School Candidate

Most events in Australia you need a half-cage (minimum) to take passengers and events in Victoria require one just to enter. This event was in Victoria, so I got a cage specifically for it.

A lot of people are putting V8s into drift cars, both internationally and locally, but it just isn't my thing. The RB30 in this is currently making 230kW and is only limited by the ECU. It is otherwise capable of 300kW+, which is more than enough for drifting. I'd prefer to drive my car hard and struggle/improve by going to heaps of events than take it off the road for an engine conversion it doesn't need.

Suspension wise the car is running S13 HSD HRs with S14 front LCAs and modified knuckles from Garage 7.

The Lexus is just my daily so coilovers will be as far as suspension development goes. With how conservative the rear wheels are I should be able take some camber out of the rear with the stock adjustment to avoid the massive toe in they get when slammed. I don't think they'll need much of a stretch to fit in and I'll just be going with whatever size I can get cheap off my guy.
Old 03-18-14, 04:41 AM
davecarter
Driver School Candidate

So I got myself a set of PB coilovers through Angry Industies. They're something like 19kg front and 12kg rear, which sounded crazy to me compared to my 12kg all-round Skyline, but after riding in a mates car with them, I was set.

I set them up to all have 40mm of adjustment left in them and figured I'd just bang them in and tweak the height from there.

Decided to attack the rear first as judging by the workshop manual, that would be the hardest. After taking the back seat out I realised that the workshop manual seems to prefer taking a million parts off and re-installing them instead of being a bit inventive/lazy. I decided that this approach was not for me and used a ratchet to get to the rear coilover bolt instead of disassembling the entire rear half of the car.

Next was getting the coilover out. From what I read, you disconnect the sway bar, then unbolt both ends of the coilover, then remove the driveshaft, then split the top ball joint, then limbo under the car, then loosen everything else, then do the whole lot again in reverse.

**** that noise.

I tried a bunch of jiggling then realised I was never really going to have a need for the standard suspension again and if I was, springs are pretty cheap. So I did what any true Aussie does and took angle grinder to spring. I mean, it's not really lowering a car if you don't involve an angle grinder somewhere is it? Once cut, I was able to wind the top half of the spring down the strut, collapse the shock and pull the whole lot out easy as anything.

Now before you poo poo my uncouth approach to this noble Lexus steed, just think about it for a second. This drastically reduces both the time and effort required to remove factory suspension. Hell, I didn't even have to unbolt anything other than the strut itself on the front. Easy!

Anyway, I put the new coilovers in and went to get some tyres fitted up. I ended up going with a 215/35 up front and a 245/35 in the rear.

I also swung past my bros at 999 Automotive and picked up some sweet Project Mu wheelnuts for maximum anti-theft/JDM respect.

So this is how it sits. Pretty stoked with how it turned out for just a guess on the coilovers. The rear height is spot on I reckon, with the tyre about a bees **** off the inner guard. The front needs to come down a tiny bit, but I'll have to give the guards all round a bit of attention before I get too carried away.

OK, maybe I lied about the rear height being spot on. Seeing the car tuck rim like this trying to get out of my driveway has given me a desire to go much lower, but that can wait for a little while.
Old 03-18-14, 10:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you disconnected a sway bar endlink, or even levered the carrier down, you would have gotten the rear shock assy. out without an issue...
Old 03-18-14, 03:48 PM
davecarter
Driver School Candidate

Had the swaybar links off and levered everything down so the brake lines were at full extension and it just didn't want to budge. Spent a good 2 hours just jiggling it around.

Oh well, it's done now and all of the old suspension is in the bin.
Old 03-23-14, 05:50 PM
davecarter
Driver School Candidate

So the Lexus spent a few days in the newly opening Impossible Fabrications workshop.

This is a workshop my friend is currently running after he finishes his day job, which he'll be opening up full time in a month or so. He's putting in big hours and struggling with everywhere being shut while he works through the night, so I was happy to let him hold onto it and just do what he had to do to get it all perfecto. I popped over there and chucked some new pads in while I was waiting... and couldn't resist winding the coils down another 10 or 15mm while the wheels were off LOL. Height is pretty good now, maybe a touch more in the front, will get some more pics when I'm happy with it.

Anyway, this is what he ended up with; 2.25" off the the centre resonator, splitting to twin 2" then again to a pair of twin 2" blast pipes. Keeping the pipe size small has given it a really sweet note while not being too loud. I am absolutely stoked with it. It doesn't drone, it's loud when you want it to be and it's quiet enough when cruising.

The tips look pretty classy as well
Old 03-23-14, 06:51 PM
Jordanf
Rookie

This keeps getting better! what's next?
Old 03-23-14, 08:38 PM
davecarter
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mate!

Not that much left to do really. Need to chuck a new air con compressor in, could do with some new tints, maybe some stereo gear and a few interior bits. It's just my daily so don't want to get too carried away :P
Old 03-24-14, 09:50 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I don't really like the tips but that's personal preference. Good job getting it together though.
Old 03-21-15, 06:24 PM
Toyofhate
Driver School Candidate

The car is coming out nice any updates?
Old 03-21-15, 10:07 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyofhate
The car is coming out nice any updates?
Man, how many posts are you bumping? lol