Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

"new" SC300 - what to do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 11:37 AM
calarax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "new" SC300 - what to do with it?

I have a 1992 SC300. It doesn't run at the moment but I have all the parts to make it run, but I have a few options open to me. my question is what should i do? (i want a reliable, smooth running, turbo, auto trans SC300).

I have the following parts:

2JZGE USDM engine (runs but hasn't been driven in 8+ years)
2JZGTE ARISTO engine (no turbos, sitting on a pallet for 7+ years, hasnt run in probably 12+ years)
2JZGE AUTO TRANS

GE SINGLE TURBO MANI
GTE SINGLE TURBO MANI

SUPRA USDM 2JZGTE ECU
~16 COIL PACKS (USDM & JDM, mix of US supra, aristo, lexus)
330CC, 440CC, 550CC HIGH IMPED. INJECTOR SETS (should work in either engine? ill have to double check the 550s to see if side or top feed but they are 11mm high imp)
MAF, SUPRA USDM
IGNITORS (SUPRA USDM, LEXUS USDM, ARISTO JDM)
CUT ARISTO GTE HARNESS/UNCUT GE HARNESS

some other odds and ends; fpr's, apex afc, emanage blue, various BOVs, wastegates, (all chinese), a box of brian crower valve springs and retainers, a used/but like new set of 2JZGTE USDM rods/pistons soaked in oil/wrapped in plastic, other OE electronic parts, i dont know what these are, etc.

.68/.84 turbo
.62/.68? .78? .82? (i know, big differences) turbo

I dont have a boost controller and i dont have a MAP sensor (unless its somewhere on the aristo harness), probably missing a part or two to get a setup running correctly. I was going to get a TWEAK'D performance SC300>ARISTO ENGINE>USDM GTE ECU harness to replace the cut GTE and stock GE harness'.

I think Ide like to use the GE auto trans with the GTE motor (READ MORE) but ill need to mod the GTE throttle body to make GE trans work AND rebuild the auto trans to handle more power; say 350-500 hp at the crank. i think the TB mod would be easy. the place that ETS has build their tranns for evos, soobies, and 1500hp GTRs is not far and i spoke with them and they said if i drop off the trans itd be no biggy for them to rebuild it for less than titans cost or boost logics cost and no shipping.

if i go NA-t route...i have read ALISC3's GTE ECU mod thread, but i know nothing of wiring and have zero exp messing with electronics in any shape or form. mounting turbo and parts would be easy though. or just pulling eng/trans for a more plug-and-play setup.

what would be the best route? what would be most cost effective? what would be easiest? given parts i have and budget. Can i use USDM GTE ECU and get rid of MAF (or should i find an aristo ecu)? i have a budget of around $3-4000 for everything, and i already have a ton of parts. see any parts i might be missing? forums got me to this point in my quest for a turbo SC and i thought ide stop reading and start writing and get some input. I know the GE auto is the worst place to start, trans wise, but its what i have and if i blow all my money on another trans build i wont have enough to finish the rest im afraid.

Last edited by calarax; 10-15-13 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 12:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

compression test both motors, use the one that is healthier.
throw the ge auto in the trash and pick up a gte auto or aristo auto and go from there.
it will have electronic line control no need to mess with the throttle body, and its already beefier than the ge one, and they are not expensive to get one from someone who bought an auto swap, and will handle the power ranges you are talking about stock.

you do not want to start a gte vs na-t debate trust me on that one. go with whichever you feel more comfortable with or whichever motor is in better shape, cause it sounds like you will be going single turbo either way so there isn't a whole lot of difference harness wise you can run either off a gte ecu using either the stock ge harness with some stuff added for the tt ecu mod, or you can get a custom harness done.
the only extra work for the gte motor using the ge harness besides what is in the tt ecu mod thread for a ge motor is going to be extending the cam/crank sensor wires from where the distributor was to their new spots.
for the cam wires you can unwrap the ge harness and peel those pins back to the right spot on a gte, for the crank sensor you will need to extend that wire down to the oil pump, and run all the grounds together to the distributor ground pin.
that would be the extra step for doing the tt ecu mod on a gte motor going single turbo on a ge harness.
If you said you wanted to do gte twins, then it is not worth adding all that stuff to the ge harness, and would be easier to get something custom or a GTE>SC harness made. single turbo reduces a bunch of stuff and then its easier to DIY.

if you use the usdm ecu (550cc injectors), you will need to use a maf unless you get a piggyback like a vpc or map ecu that can delete the maf. a usdm ecu with the maf is fine though for most applications up to 5-600hp, however it is common for people to use the vpc on it, usually you will find a safc/vpc combo on supraforums.
If you use the jdm ecu, its setup for a map sensor out of the box and uses 440cc injectors.

the gte injectors are side feed and will not work on na-t which is top feed to answer that question.

good luck if you have more questions post them up.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-15-13 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 12:59 PM
calarax
Driver School Candidate

thank you for the input! I guess ive never looked at the auto GTE trans on ebay before. $400 shipped for most. ill take one. might still take it in for a rebuild in case i push power beyond 500hp at some point, but ill double check the cost first. in that case i think ill use the GTE motor with a rebuilt GTE trans, and since everything will be JDM ill find an aristo GTE ECU and use a custom wire harness. that will all fit my budget and make a nice single turbo auto car that runs like OE and makes better than OE power.

I will likely need a transmission ecu then? if this one is electronic and mine is cable controlled ill have to figure out the wiring for the different transmission as well. is that through the chassis harness or engine harness? im hoping its part of the eng harness, and i just plug in a JDM trans ecu and eng ECU and everything works.
Old 10-15-13, 01:05 PM
calarax
Driver School Candidate

i only see VVTI aristo ECUs on ebay right now, would a vvti ecu work with a non vvti engine? and i guess the trans ecu is just a traction control ecu so i can probably do without that?
Old 10-15-13, 01:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by calarax
thank you for the input! I guess ive never looked at the auto GTE trans on ebay before. $400 shipped for most. ill take one. might still take it in for a rebuild in case i push power beyond 500hp at some point, but ill double check the cost first. in that case i think ill use the GTE motor with a rebuilt GTE trans, and since everything will be JDM ill find an aristo GTE ECU and use a custom wire harness. that will all fit my budget and make a nice single turbo auto car that runs like OE and makes better than OE power.

I will likely need a transmission ecu then? if this one is electronic and mine is cable controlled ill have to figure out the wiring for the different transmission as well. is that through the chassis harness or engine harness? im hoping its part of the eng harness, and i just plug in a JDM trans ecu and eng ECU and everything works.
yes the gte also comes with a beefire torque converter setup factory. sure you could upgrade a ge to get there but the gte is half way there already to handling about as much as an auto should. there is a rebuild to make them hold even more above 5-600 which is "built territory" for the autos, a manual trans is another way to get higher up there but I will leave that to your future searching.

generally there is no seperate auto trans ecu's except for some very wierd setups we won't go into detail here. what you need to know is all the 2jzgte auto ecu's have the auto stuff built in, as in it will work when you plug in the new ecu, and all aristo ecu's are auto and very abundant. you will have to run an extra wire or so for the line pressure it is not there on the ge harness as the ge is mechanical, but running the extra wire to the ecu should not be a huge problem. it should be there on the gte trans plug waiting to be hooked up.
The auto trans plugs are generally on the engine harness by the starter area I want to say.

Originally Posted by calarax
i only see VVTI aristo ECUs on ebay right now, would a vvti ecu work with a non vvti engine? and i guess the trans ecu is just a traction control ecu so i can probably do without that?
you do not want a vvti ecu if you do not have a vvti. it will have a different plug also and require a complete rewire for a non vvti setup. trans ecu is generally part of the main ecu, on some rare instances they are separated (some v8's etc..) but you will not fall into that category.
traction ecu is actually just for controlling trac control if your motor has it. it is not necessary or needed to work.

only reason to use the usdm ecu and have a maf would be to use 550cc out of the box instead of 440cc on the jdm ecu. with a piggyback though you can run larger injectors on either ecu.
the upside of the jdm one is only needing a map sensor and being map based which is nice that your car still runs when you blow off an intercooler clamp or pipe. the downside is speed cut is at 155 but because of kmh > mph that ends up being 110mph.
the upside of the USDM one is you can keep all emissions perfectly intact, including egr and all that good stuff. If you are odb2, this becomes even more important. also the us ecu's tend to run cleaner for emissions but that may just be my imagination. also the speed cut on a usdm ecu is 150mph.
the do make speed cut and boost cut controllers for both ecu's so it really just depends how you want to tackle the problem.
the aristo ecu's are abundant as I said, but it can be hard to find a good working map sensor these days, but the usdm ecu will need one also even though it uses a maf, it uses the map sensor for boost cut.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-15-13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 07:22 PM
calarax
Driver School Candidate

alright sounds good, whatever GTE auto trans i can get with a non vvti jdm ecu and a custom harness to make it all work. I'll need to check if my motor has a MAP and IAT sensor on it, any idea where those are on the motor?

will my drive shaft still connect to the GTE auto trans or will I need a custom one? I want to plan everything out before I do it so i know what im doing. thanks again for the help
Old 10-16-13, 12:51 PM
calarax
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...#ixzz2hrecc16Z

according to this guide i need an sc400 drive line, which are easy/cheap to get. is an sc400 trans the same as a gte auto trans? there are a few local that i can go pick up.