Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

1999 Lexus GS300 from New Zealand!

Old 09-16-13, 04:08 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MOONLIGHT 1999 Lexus GS300

Figure I should do a build thread on here, have one on VSC but CL seems more active Copying from VSC..

Greetings all, I posted a little while ago in the intro area about how I was planning on getting a GS soon.. now I have BMW is for sale and it's time to move on to better things! Unfortunately my phone is actually a potato so any photos are rubbish (new camera should be here Monday..).

The night I picked it up. Bog standard!

As soon as I picked it up I had a few things ordered for it, boot lip, clear side markers, Depo tails, roof wing and front lip.

Today I installed the tails and boot lip. The side markers were the wrong sort so will get others this week.

Roof wing and front lip have yet to arrive. I've also scored a set and a half of Haute Couture 19x9 front, 19x10 rear (2 lots of 19x10 rear with different offsets) which will be coming from Japan in our container that we bring over about every 6 months or so. Also keeping an eye out for lip kits on there too, loving Aimgain but for the first stage of this project that might need to wait.. As we're the NZ agent for Megan Racing I'll arrange some EZ Streets as well once the container is near!

It's also the black leather interior version which is very hard to find in NZ, most of them are tan.. couldn't live with that!

Last edited by mlracing; 10-07-15 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-16-13, 04:08 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Some better, current images of it.

As you can see I've installed clear side markers as well to remove the orange from the vehicle. During the weekend I gave a go at fitting the TTE eBay lip I purchased, was about an inch too short >_< So will flag that and order an Admiration lip kit from Japan to go in our container as well I think! Good thing, the roof wing fits up nice so off to the painter for that!
Old 09-16-13, 04:11 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

I've had my roof wing painted and collected that now so just need to clean the car up and attach it Then it's just a loong wait until our container arrives.

On the other side I'm looking to start playing with LED lighting and custom lighting.. nobody does it in NZ
Old 09-16-13, 04:11 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Fitted up this today and gave the car a wash.. finally; it needed it! Now the eager wait for wheels/kit to arrive.. Sort of divided on it.. I think it will look better with the car low and kitted etc but I was really after something that basically extends the roof line a little bit over the glass, any of the ones I found didn't have that, most of them curved upwards which is not what I'm looking for. We will see!
Old 09-16-13, 04:12 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Well now it's been a while, not much happened as have been waiting for the container to land and now it has..

Wheels fitted up, new tyres getting sorted this week as unfortunately those ones that came with it are mostly damaged Otherwise, will look really good when it's lower.

Lip kit has arrived too, fitment is pretty good I just need to get my panel/painter around to trim some bits, fit and paint match it. Coilovers should be arriving any day now as well and I've removed the towbar.. so much nicer without!

Artist impression.. with airbags probably haha!
Old 09-16-13, 04:28 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

OK, so.. some interesting things happened in the last few days.

I've fitted up the coilovers, so much adjustment I could basically run the car into the ground.. Yellow Speed ftw! Also, ruined a couple tyres and found out the hard way that some people do ****ty guard repairs..

Comparison of rear standard vs rear Yellow Speed.. we were like yeah nah needs to be way lower so wound it down.. jokes on me I had to wind it up **** loads. Looks like standard spring is heavier than Yellow Speed spring!

This is how it sat after rear was in at the first height. Look at the difference between front and rear!

Front height after first install.. after the end of the night driving just up the road a bit the whole guard lip was bent outwards and my tyre has big chunks missing now. Needless to say I didn't drive it for the rest of the night.

The next day I had a look at one of the rear tyre properly that had the most damage.. pretty nailed

After we have done the first guard on the front left, due to the calliper being too big the roller didn't get all the way around. It's a work in progress anyway; will do more on it next weekend.

Chrome sticker

MOONLIGHT v0.1
Old 09-16-13, 05:00 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

nice pics. check our classifieds for the lip kit. there's a admiration lip for sale

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 09-16-13, 07:36 AM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good man. i have the same colour combo as you. You should try stripping the grille to chrome it's very easy, i think it made a big difference on my silver car. Keep up the updates
Old 09-16-13, 03:23 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
nice pics. check our classifieds for the lip kit. there's a admiration lip for sale

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Thanks I'll check it out. Actually I will fit up the TTE style lip for now, it's not as bad as initially thought. I have an Aimgain front bumper coming in our next container anyway so that can go on after
Old 09-16-13, 03:24 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ava92
looking good man. i have the same colour combo as you. You should try stripping the grille to chrome it's very easy, i think it made a big difference on my silver car. Keep up the updates
Yes, definitely have this in the plan! Looks really nice and very easy to do.
Old 09-16-13, 08:03 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

comin along nicely. sucks the wheel caught an edge. but lookin good nonetheless
Old 09-16-13, 11:00 PM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sevenevez
comin along nicely. sucks the wheel caught an edge. but lookin good nonetheless
Hahaha, I hate when that happens. Lol

Hey OP, Go lower. Close the gap a little more. Looking good regaurdless.
Old 09-17-13, 12:02 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Riksgs808
Hahaha, I hate when that happens. Lol

Hey OP, Go lower. Close the gap a little more. Looking good regaurdless.
Thanks all yes we're definitely going lower, just need to do the work on the guards

Camber laws are stupid in NZ and I would like to keep it within the bounds of the law where possible.. in fact all road laws are stupid in NZ :P
Old 09-17-13, 12:10 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

there's camber laws in NZ?
Old 09-17-13, 05:14 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
there's camber laws in NZ?
Yes, it's pretty difficult to do anything fun.. so for example now that I've installed the adjustable suspension technically the car is rolling around illegally until it is certified, which is like an extreme check over by an independent company that then says yep it's all safe. As part of that certification they have camber adjust laws so you cannot go more than 1/2 a degree outside of factory spec. Also, in this cert they record ride height +/- 5% and wheel size... NZ sucks for car modifying!

That being said, once this cert is completed and the car has the stamp when you go for the bi-annual inspection usually everything is a lot easier as nobody at the inspection stations really checks the specs of the cert.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Lexus GS300 from New Zealand!