Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

1999 Lexus GS300 from New Zealand!

Old 03-14-15, 05:01 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mlracing
Cheers all, it just sits around now hahah. So sad the project car life.. I need to get a car cover or a shop soon ! I have been asked to be part of a small car show-type thing for the opening of Fast and Furious 7 here, that's kinda cool
congrats Buddy.
Old 05-05-15, 02:11 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I didn't end up doing that F&F show because they wanted the car to stay at the theatre for like 4 days.. no thanks! Not much happened lately as I've been away and just generally unmotivated but I have to put it back to WOF inspection-spec now.. and I have an idea for something..

I did end up getting a car cover haha

Then went to start the car and the battery was properly dead.. it hasn't been run in probably about a month.. managed to get it going again though after a while, new battery on the cards though as this one's toast.

Hmm.. if only I had air..

I need to replace my inners or my HIDs so they're even.. probably replace the inners as one of them is having problems anyway.

This shows how much I have to wind up the front to pass inspection.. even at this height it's technically not legal but they don't have any issue with it.

No particular reason for this image, just really like how the reat tail lights look with the white.

Also, the reason you see the bumper is off in one of the images above is I needed to take the front lip off to get the fog lights out because I have an idea.. seeing as I broke the plugs for the fogs I'm going to have a play at making dancing LEDs out of them. Hopefully turns out ok!
Old 05-05-15, 06:39 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What car cover is that i need to get one and i like how that one covers the whole car.
Old 05-05-15, 04:28 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by juvi22003
What car cover is that i need to get one and i like how that one covers the whole car.
Just from Repco, our local car parts store I guess similar to Pepboys/Autozone etc ?
Old 05-06-15, 06:58 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mlracing
Just from Repco, our local car parts store I guess similar to Pepboys/Autozone etc ?
What is the brand name?
Old 05-06-15, 04:24 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by juvi22003
What is the brand name?
Repco brand haha, just in-house nothing fancy
Old 05-08-15, 01:08 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Had some spare time today so started playing around with the dancing LED foglights that I'm looking to do. Made a sort of very rough prototype of one side just to refresh my memory!*

They actually came apart pretty easily compared to some other lenses. The lenses are glass on these so didn't have to worry about warping them.

These plugs are a godsend, don't know why I didn't use them earlier!

Just sitting a basic small board in there to test out the pattern and make sure my experiment worked.

The final product will cover majority of the space and I will cover over it with some reflective/chrome vinyl so it doesn't have the board showing.

My main problem is figuring out how to secure the board inside the light assembly.. any ideas? I could try and silicon/glue it in from the other side but the space is difficult to get to; might end up being the only way though.

For those unfamiliar with the kind of thing I'm working on.. - https://instagram.com/p/2aWOQIGbEz/?taken-by=mlracing
Old 05-09-15, 03:20 AM
mlracing
Intermediate

Managed to finish up a basic concept of one side today, looks like it should work out so I will probably wait until I have the white LEDs in before I start doing both sides because she's a big job!

I've taken some pictures of a few steps to see what I did..

Started by making a template out of cardboard

Then did a ****ty cut out job of a protoboard. If I had a dremel or similar this may be easier.. Also the board isn't quite long enough to go right to the edge of the light >_<

Then I wrapped it in some chrome vinyl to get that reflective look and hide the brown.

Put the lens on to see sort of how it looks.. you can see there it's easy to see the edges.. not so good when it's close to the lens.

After marking out the holes for the LEDs.. time to get soldering!

Some considerable time later you end up with this.

I put it back in but pushed the board to the back of the housing, looks better this way.

How it looks in various states of illumination. Doesn't seem too bad with the mounting near the back of the housing so I'll probably make the other side like that as well.

Brief Instagram video of what it looks like - https://instagram.com/p/2c5yO5mbP9/?taken-by=mlracing

Difficult to see the motions of the LEDs properly as the camera can't really capture it but looks pretty cool in real life, just needs the other side done..
Old 05-11-15, 04:12 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Recently had a photo shoot for magazine too

Old 05-12-15, 12:52 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work on the foggs project - keep us posted and congrats on the feature! Some nice shots!!!
Old 05-14-15, 10:59 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nelson09
Nice work on the foggs project - keep us posted and congrats on the feature! Some nice shots!!!
Cheers! I think my LEDs arrived so will get those from the post next week

These arrived from our container shipment. Bought them for no particular reason other than they were cheap.

19x10 +31. Huge tyre, 275/35 ATR Sport. Probably remove tyres and sell them separately and just keep the wheels for some future use haha.
Old 05-15-15, 12:42 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That one wheel sure has seen better days.
It's a shame it's right on the Work label.
Old 05-15-15, 10:29 AM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Man id love to see those refinished in a satin white or pearl with brushed or machined faces windows left white/pearl!
Old 05-15-15, 04:37 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lutkis
That one wheel sure has seen better days.
It's a shame it's right on the Work label.
Weds logo

Originally Posted by nelson09
Man id love to see those refinished in a satin white or pearl with brushed or machined faces windows left white/pearl!
Yeah they're rough but price paid reflects that. No real plan to refinish them haha maybe they will be some more daily wheels
Old 05-15-15, 09:45 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

So I tried to fit them but it doesn't fit even on the back without a slip on spacer!

Dumb. No matter though they don't look any good on the back anyway, offset is too high. I did try to fit it on the front but of course it hits the brakes heaps and I can't even get a wheel nut on. Might get some 5mm slip on and see what happens.

After that it all just got a bit wild. How about these on Kermit? hahaha

I realised I had run out of beers so took the car to put some air in the tyres and get more beers. Even looks pretty good at this height and wheels and it has no front bumper haha! Got plenty of looks on that one..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Lexus GS300 from New Zealand!