Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My SC300 2JZGTE swap - Slow Build!

Old 09-14-15, 05:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its the standalone that has problem with the seasons. here in denver the weather gets crazy too and my jdm 6speed supra ecu with the map ecu doesnt need tuning ever. i set it up once and it always runs right. the aem my car wouldnt start in the winter 50% of the time below 40 degrees. stock ecu fires up.,.. always.
just have to lower the boost controller in the winter, cold air makes you build more boost at the same setting. if you just run off the gate then its always the same year round.
Old 09-17-15, 05:45 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks tjm and agreed Ali I do love how this car has neva had hot or cold start issues and doesn't so far with this swap. I am aware of the potential issues with a piggyback as I had hot start issues with my SR S14 with a Apexi afc just dumping to much fuel. So yeah I'm thinking USDM 550 cc injectors and let the aristo run for now. Just can't romp on her until It's done.
Old 11-24-15, 05:23 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

So far just been enjoying her as is. Removed the tints. Next up R154 and tuning solution. She still drives 100% like stock no issues with the stock Aristo ecu:

Love this car

Old 11-24-15, 05:56 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good bro, still need to clean up those lights!...
Old 11-25-15, 07:16 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just read thru your build thread one more time.. Looking good. I plan to start my swap next month. Where did you source your motor from? So far only place i seen was JDM Engine Depot.
Old 11-25-15, 05:14 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Thanks lilSC will do for sure. I don't want aftermarket at all so for sure. tj I got my motor from jdmenginezone. This is the second motor I got from them that had zero issues. I always go first and check them out. It is worth the trip. If you ever do go I can PM ya a contact name. It is def worth it. Although since I got my motor prices look to have gone up 1K on non vvti's. 1J's and 2J vvti's are cheap and he had a ton last time I went through.
Old 11-27-15, 07:24 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the info.. ill def check them out and hit you up for a contact before i head up there.
Old 11-27-15, 07:55 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Looks awesome congrats on the setup, I knew you could get those exhaust studs tackled up.
you are only running 11 psi on that beast? crank that thing up to 14 boost cut is around there somewhere. I have run like 18 psi on the stock jdm ecu with 440's but my turbo might flow a little less, if you have a wideband gauge and can wach it just make sure you are in the 11-12 range fuel wise. nothing higher than 12.5 or you need to back off it.

get a manual boost controller, they are simple. even if you set it to 12 psi you will get a bunch more power and faster spool cause what happens is without one the wastegate creeps open so at like 8 psi the wastegate starts to crack some so its slower to build to 11 psi (gate fully open at this pressure). so the boost controller has a spring in it so it willl creep instead, and only when you get to 11 psi (or wherever its set) will the wastegate even begin to crack open. this results in some delicious amount of faster spool, which you need with a single turbo like that.

you don't need a standalone to run that faster, you just need a piggyback that can raise the boost cut and some 550cc injectors. you should be good for 18 psi like that on your setup on pump gas or maybe more each car /turbo is different. I run a map ecu piggyback, it lets me raise and set the boost cut to whatever I want, so I have mine raised to 20 psi and I run 14 psi on low boost and 18 psi on high boost. if it ever goes above that the ecu cuts off at 20 which is nice. also it gives control over the fueling when used with 550cc injectors you get alot more fuel overhead to keep the turbo happy and rich.

going with a standalone will be much more of a headache and need tuning and cold starts in winter need to be tuned again.. unless you need the extra standalone features a piggyback will get you where you need to be without all that fuss (I up/downgraded from an aem v1 to a jdm supra 6 speed ecu + map ecu combo). I run the map ecu piggyback on mine. the e-manage does a similar thing to the map ecu but its not as common over here. on clutch fans vs efans the only efans I would run are IS300 ones, but still the clutch fan is the best. stock clutch fan is what I prefer to use.

if you install the popular greddy boost cut controller, do note that it removes boost cut completely, as in no safety net for overboosting. that is why I don't run these but lots do.

you wil need to upgrade to 550's which is easy and shouldn't be a problem since you are gte grab some off a USDM model.
find a used map ecu v1. the v2 and v3 have extra features but do mostly the same stuff for our ecu's the v1 does the job. the emanage can do similar but I am not familiar with setting those up.

Apexi safc you can use and its the easiest to setup and have running but it doesn't easily let you set where boost cut will be at anymore, but the act of using larger injectors and the safc will raise boost cut several psi from stock. setting exactly where boost cut happens is a feature I usually don't want to give up, which is why I use the map ecu myself instead of an safc.

need any more info on it just message me or something and I can check back in here also.
So much good information here for anyone doing a swap. Great write up Ali!

Originally Posted by Highway
Thanks lilSC will do for sure. I don't want aftermarket at all so for sure. tj I got my motor from jdmenginezone. This is the second motor I got from them that had zero issues. I always go first and check them out. It is worth the trip. If you ever do go I can PM ya a contact name. It is def worth it. Although since I got my motor prices look to have gone up 1K on non vvti's. 1J's and 2J vvti's are cheap and he had a ton last time I went through.
That's awesome you have local options to hand pick your motor and not pay shipping, I'm super jealous.
Old 11-27-15, 01:24 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed the price hike in the non vvti 1j's too. Glad I got mine when I got it.

Your build is looking good how's the aristo ecu holding up? I'm looking into getting a standalone
Old 11-27-15, 01:26 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway
So far just been enjoying her as is. Removed the tints. Next up R154 and tuning solution. She still drives 100% like stock no issues with the stock Aristo ecu:

Love this car

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
Just read thru your build thread one more time.. Looking good. I plan to start my swap next month. Where did you source your motor from? So far only place i seen was JDM Engine Depot.
We haGe to get are black boosted SCs together
Old 01-07-16, 06:29 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Ha for sure Kez. She runs 100% all day long. I just can't be silly and really bang gears but she is rolling I can't wait to dress her up and finish the rest already.

I've noticed the price hike in the non vvti 1j's too. Glad I got mine when I got it.

Your build is looking good how's the aristo ecu holding up? I'm looking into getting a standalone

She is fine but I literally have to disconnect the battery after every weekend or she will die cause the ECU as well as throwing a CEL after hitting 2500-3000 rpm sometimes after reconnecting her. Sometimes not. Cars drives 100% each time tho. No jacked idle or stuttering and or breaking up in boost. Granted I don't take it her out past 5-55000 rpm much. With that said I def need to figure out what I want to do with regards to a tune.

Last edited by Highway; 01-07-16 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-07-16, 06:30 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
thanks for the info.. ill def check them out and hit you up for a contact before i head up there.
Feel free anytime.
Old 01-07-16, 06:32 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Looking good bro, still need to clean up those lights!...
LMAO yes sir I really do. I literally don't drive at night because the quality is so poor.

True story
Old 06-15-16, 06:08 PM
Highway
Lead Lap

Check in and update:

ECU was throwing a CEL because I was unplugging the battery each week so she wouldn't die . Silly me. The car can sit just fine on this big ole battery. Longest has been 3 weeks sitting so far with no drain issue as of yet. So no more CEL Still need a tune so driving like a girl until I have more $ throw @ her. I really need a steering wheel and good seats. These are just too effin big for me. Then I need to focus on gauge location. Most likely something custom where the front dash vents are. Good times