Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My slooowww build thread. Take 2.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 12:46 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

glad that your giving turbs another go and looks like your off to a great start gathering the parts gl on the build
Old 07-01-13, 01:19 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I usually stick a blanket on there and squish it between the turbo and the intake pipe. Coating should help also.
I'd considered a blanket as well. But me...liking to fiddle with stuff, thought that baking on a coat of high temp paint would be fun for a midnight project.
Old 07-02-13, 10:39 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

@Jadu, thanks man. Speaking parts....

Wastegate

And the turbo

Old 07-03-13, 12:55 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Question Question on which manifold to get!!! 7-3-13

Okay guys. So I just purchased this undivided T4 Precision turbo. Now I've done some reading on manifolds and I am left bewildered. I've read stories of ebay manifolds cracking or leaking or having slag and ruining the owners day. YET, I've also read a story of even HKS manifolds cracking. So then I stumbled upon cast manifolds which seem to be the most stout thing out there. My question...

1.) Should I go with an ebay manifold, clean the hell out of the slag and brace it?
2.) Find a name brand manifold? which will be 'used' and I'll have no idea whether it's been dropped or mistreated or how many heat cycles its gone through...
3.) Or, get a cast iron manifold like the treadstone one which will also entail me having to ditch the 4 bolt wastegate I've already purchased and finding a 2 bolt one.

The reason I find myself leaning towards the ebay manifold is because A, I save money as a college student and B, I'm not looking to make anything over 400hp or even 375hp at this point as I'm only going to run 12 psi which is the spring my wastegate came with already installed. If I were to go with the ebay manifold, it'd NEVER see huge numbers. So does anyone agree with me in saying that an ebay manifold will be just fine under the conditions I'm looking to put it through?

Sorry if these questions are redundant in any way or just plain common sense but I'm so close to having almost everything I need so I'm getting excited and wanna make sure the best and most informed decisions are made on my part! Gotta stay patient though!
Old 07-04-13, 10:25 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Ive been running a completely untouched china manifold (xspower kit) for over 2 years and 30k+ miles with zero issues.

Just get the cheapest one you can find.... driftmotion sells it for 180 i think, and sometimes they come up for sale here for like 120.

Youll either have to get a flange for whatever wastegate you are running, or get a different one.

I have a spare hks wastegate that works on the DM manifold if youre interested.
Old 07-15-13, 09:07 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Ive been running a completely untouched china manifold (xspower kit) for over 2 years and 30k+ miles with zero issues.

Just get the cheapest one you can find.... driftmotion sells it for 180 i think, and sometimes they come up for sale here for like 120.

Youll either have to get a flange for whatever wastegate you are running, or get a different one.

I have a spare hks wastegate that works on the DM manifold if youre interested.
Thanks for that insight it definitely helps me make my decision.

So I just took the compressor housing off the turbo and cleaned it and the back plate. I then tried to find any shaft play at all. So pulling up and down on it I found NO shaft play at all...it was perfect. On the side to side shaft play I saw a little bit but it looks so small as if it cannot be measured and even if I would measure it it'd be like 0.### of a millimeter. I didn't expect it to be perfect since it is a used turbo but now I'm curious if I should rebuild it or not. I think it's fine.
Old 07-15-13, 09:13 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ashtray, congrats on the new build! I'm also putting together a turbo kit myself. I bought an ebay manifold as options and advice were so diverse. You can either spend $1,000 or $100. I'm not saying you'll get the same results, but you can replace a $100 manifold x10 times and both can possibly have issues. I think it's really up to you and your budget. Best of luck, I'll tune in from time to time.

Also maybe I missed something, what transmission are you using? I noticed you have a GTE 6spd tranny so I'm curious. You didn't mention a clutch of pp/flywheel set up. With those 550 injectors I "assume" you might run 450+hp. I have my stock W58 with 150k miles on it. I plan on running around 350-375hp for hopefully a year or two until I upgrade to an R154.

Last edited by Tabaka; 07-15-13 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 09:43 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Thanks! And I'm gonna stick with my W58 as well and I'm only running 12psi so I wont be making huge numbers until I get an R154 myself.

edit: You are I are basically aiming for the same power goal. I don't even mind being under it for the sake of the tranny.
Old 07-15-13, 10:27 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

You might be in luck. I'm planning on building some turbo manifolds soon with schedule 40 or schedule 10 piping. Pricing is going to be reasonable compared to the 1500 turbo manifold. I have a eBay manifold and recently purchase a drewgo manifold as well. I will see how all these manifold work out. As of now the eBay one blows. It's super thin piping. I used to work with metal for a living on airplanes for awhile and this eBay "stainless" cut like soft aluminum.
Old 07-16-13, 08:45 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Not to thread jack... but if you do... make it with a tial vband, not the damn 4 bolt.

And I would say your turbo is fine. Journal bearing turbos can have a little bit and still be fine.
Old 07-16-13, 09:59 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jwin
You might be in luck. I'm planning on building some turbo manifolds soon with schedule 40 or schedule 10 piping. Pricing is going to be reasonable compared to the 1500 turbo manifold. I have a eBay manifold and recently purchase a drewgo manifold as well. I will see how all these manifold work out. As of now the eBay one blows. It's super thin piping. I used to work with metal for a living on airplanes for awhile and this eBay "stainless" cut like soft aluminum.
Sounds good and a V band would be ideal. Since you compared it to a 1500 bucks I feel it should still be very pricey
Originally Posted by lookEVO
Not to thread jack... but if you do... make it with a tial vband, not the damn 4 bolt.

And I would say your turbo is fine. Journal bearing turbos can have a little bit and still be fine.
Thank you for verifying that. Might measure it anyway once I get a vernier caliper.
Old 07-16-13, 12:21 PM
kapetajr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For "Baked in the oven paint" VHT has flameproof header paint that is good up 2000 degrees.
Old 07-16-13, 05:09 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kapetajr
For "Baked in the oven paint" VHT has flameproof header paint that is good up 2000 degrees.
Very cool. I wanna give my bay a 'caution red-hot' color/black color theme. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-16-13, 09:24 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

the bends for the piping is what is expensive. butt weld schedule 40 or schedule 10 is about 10 bucks a piece if not more for 90 degree or 45 degree elbows. You add on the price of flanges and vband and it climbs really fast. If you supply all parts I can charge the labor pretty cheap. It will probably be awhile before I can setup my garage again. I am in the process of moving.
Old 07-16-13, 11:11 PM
scott101
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might have missed it but what coil packs and injectors are those?
thanks
scott

Quick Reply: My slooowww build thread. Take 2.