Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

SupraYota BUILD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 11:53 AM
SupraYota
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SupraYota BUILD!!!

Hello everyone..im new to this form but not new to the automotive world.

Well...my build is not a Lexus at all, but actually a Toyota Tacoma. But before everyone starts ganging up on me let me explain.

I have the urge to build a "supra" style truck.
This build is all over the place and I have to join multiple forums to find all the info I need.

Soo..lets start at the beginning.

Bought a 2007 Tacoma Single Cab 2.7L w/5 speed manual in 2009. The truck was originally just my work truck.

I did a little work to it like replacing stock speakers with pioneer component sets, added a small 8in sub, tinted windows, tinted lights, and painted emblems and grill matte black.
Attached Thumbnails SupraYota BUILD!!!-front-truck.jpg   SupraYota BUILD!!!-side-truck.jpg  
Old 02-05-13, 11:59 AM
madchyers
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you swapping a 2JZ-GTE in it or something?
Old 02-05-13, 12:30 PM
SupraYota
Driver School Candidate

After selling most of my fast cars to finish college, I decided that I wanted to have a fast truck to race with some of my buddys (all chevy)

Soo the project begins....

I ordered a shorty antena from Craver Speed for $25 and installed it last night.
Also just got in my 2/2.5 drop kit from XII Performance ($550). Will be installing this weekend, washing her up and posting pics.

In the mean time....
I ordered my motor. Its a 2002 IS300 2JZ-GE and paid $750
Bought a used 8.8 rear axle with disk brakes and 3.73 gears for $250
Also bought a used turbo from a friend, its a Precision 6262 ball bearing with .82ar, needs to be rebuilt because one of the seals are leaking. $350
Attached Thumbnails SupraYota BUILD!!!-motor.jpg   SupraYota BUILD!!!-rear-axle.jpg   SupraYota BUILD!!!-turbo.jpg  
Old 02-05-13, 02:26 PM
SupraYota
Driver School Candidate

Alright so now everyone has an idea of what direction I am headed and why I could use some advice from expert IS Turbo guys.

Im about to pull the trigger on some engine internals.

JE Pistons .5mm over bore, 8.5 compression
BC rods with ARP2000 fasteners
ACL Race bearings
ARP Head Stud kit

What do you guys think??

Im hoping to have the engine built why I am piecing together the rest of my turbo kit.
Old 02-05-13, 02:40 PM
SupraYota
Driver School Candidate

To give everyone something to look at while im making no progress.

This is the open wheel race car im building with some buddies.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails SupraYota BUILD!!!-car-render.jpg   SupraYota BUILD!!!-welding.jpg   SupraYota BUILD!!!-uprights.jpg   SupraYota BUILD!!!-rear-car.jpg  
Old 02-05-13, 02:42 PM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A cheaper alternative would be to pick up a set of 2JZ-GTE pistons and rods from the Supra Forums or even new would be good. Stock GTE internals can handle 700hp.You could also install a thicker Cometic headgasket and ARP head studs and push 425 on the GE motor. The only reason to build is if you were planning on making major hp.
Old 02-05-13, 03:32 PM
SupraYota
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually going to buy all that from a friend who deals, so he's cutting me a good deal, plus no shipping or tax. Think ima pay approx $1350 for it all.

My initial power goals are 650hp

I'm also going to make a good bit back when I sell the current engine and drive train
Old 02-05-13, 03:53 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

not gonna lie cant wait to se this turn out
Old 02-05-13, 10:11 PM
madchyers
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't need the forged internals. Used sets of internals go between $300-$500. Sounds like you're on a good route though. ProEFI 128 pin is the best standalone ems for the 2jz's

Also, My.IS has a ton of good info and many boost guru's. Make an account on SupraForums as well, lots of good info there too
Old 02-06-13, 02:04 AM
Taks_is300
Rookie

Not to sure how close you are to Torrance CA but TokenSolutions is located there and I believe he has an Xrunner and IS300; both turbo'd. He might be able to help you when it comes to tuning and wiring...

Gonna look cool
Old 02-07-13, 07:36 AM
SupraYota
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice guys....

Im not going to argue with saving a few bucks. Im already a member on supraforums, Ill post a thread looking to buy some GTE internals.

Thanks for the standalone advice, Im not going to lie thats where i think my biggest problems are.

I actually live in Baton Rouge LA, there are about 10000 places that can tune chevy motors, but dont know any with 2JZ and standalone experience.
Old 02-07-13, 08:03 AM
SupraYota
Driver School Candidate

Well although I am a member of the supraforums, I have to have 150 "meaningful" post in order to post in the for sale/wanted section.

I guess I will log my build there to get the word out on me wanting parts.
Also bidding on some 2JZgte internals on ebay.
Old 02-07-13, 08:25 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice build. quick question though. Why didnt you just buy a gte motor and just do the swap. That way its already turbod instead of buying a ge motor and then boosting?
Old 02-07-13, 08:55 AM
SupraYota
Driver School Candidate

Well that was my original plan, but I did some research and found the engines were not so different.

I do not know anyone locally that has a supra, turbo IS, or anything similar. The GTE motor was hard to find, and the GE was plentiful and cheap. I'm sure if I would have networked and looked a little harder I could have found one.
Reason number 2 is because if I buy something used I'm not satisfied until I have taken it apart and verified that its in good condition. So I figured if the motor was going to get taken a part anyway....might as well go with the cheaper of the two.

Also the amount of money going in to the set up, of I blow a block I'd rather be able to get another one fast and cheap.
Old 02-08-13, 12:25 AM
d7620
Pole Position

looks like youre heading toward the right track! can't wait to see it up and running!

Quick Reply: SupraYota BUILD!!!