Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

Project Celsior from Nam

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 05:24 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

diamond stitching looks great! the interior is super clean now! time to diagnose why it won't hold idle.
Old 02-12-13, 09:15 AM
Dutchy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very good ! Congratulations. I diden't think it whould turn out so nice, but it is!

Dikke bak ouwe !
Old 02-12-13, 02:12 PM
Tuha
Driver

Lol. Dik ou bak.

Thanks guys.
Turned out alright for now. Still a long way to go.
Old 05-11-13, 04:14 PM
Tuha
Driver

I've been quiet for a while. Been busy with work and whatnot.
Ive got a chance to get a UCF20 Series IV and am wondering about parts that I can use from it on my Series III UCF21.
I've done a search on the forums but have not come up with specifics. I'm not interested in anything boy related except the maybe the rear lights and the side mirrors. I'm mostly looking at suspension components as they are actually in pretty good condition. Looks like it was a low mileage Celsior with engine issues.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-13, 01:20 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

suspension will interchange from '95-00. headlights and taillights however, will not.
Old 10-02-13, 10:52 PM
Tuha
Driver

Finally, an update.
I managed to get my hands on a low mileage Series IV UCF20 which was about to be scrapped.

All the suspension components are intact. i had a close look at all the bushings and they are all in excellent condition. The steering rack looks great too as mine was leaking all over the place and it was as loose as a Tal Street hooker. I can't wait to swap it all across. I understand that the Series III and IV suspension components are interchangeable and that the Series IV offers imrpoved suspension. I will roll on coil springs until further notice. Is it safe to chop a coil or two off the factory springs for a slight drop?

The car has an almost complete interior. The dash has been scavenged for all the good bits such as the instrument cluster. I was hoping to at least get the needles, dash lights etc. from it but so be it. It is a very nice grey cloth interior and I am in a fix trying to decide whether I keep my cars recently reupholstered brown leather or swap it all out for the grey cloth interior. Help!

Is the glass interchangeable between the two series?
Attached Thumbnails Project Celsior from Nam-windhoek-20131003-01246.jpg   Project Celsior from Nam-windhoek-20131003-01247.jpg  
Old 10-03-13, 12:16 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you aren't going to keep those rain visors, I think I know an entire legion of LS owners who may want them haha. Your interior refresh looks awesome! I definitely like the contrast stitching on the "handle" portion of the door.
Old 10-07-13, 03:56 PM
ballin
Pole Position

Looking good. Good progress.
Old 10-09-13, 06:34 AM
Tuha
Driver

Thanks guys.
I have since stripped the front suspension from the donor car and am busy with the painstaking chore of removing the front suspension from my car. It's a mission when you have an engine in the way and years of grime to dig through.
No, I'm not complaining. I'm truly enjoying every step.
Attached Thumbnails Project Celsior from Nam-dsc00464.jpg  
Old 10-09-13, 06:43 AM
Tuha
Driver

I know that the right thing to do is get new bushings and ball joints all around but I just can't afford them at the moment. The photo above shows the donor front suspension together with my front air struts. I will be rolling on stock springs and shocks for a while until I can source something else.
Is it safe to chop a coil off to lower the car a bit?

I have also been exchanging interior and body pieces that were broken or missing on mine such as some trim pieces, body mouldings and mirrors.

The mirrors were direct plug-ins. I just don't know if Series 4 mirrors will work in a Series 3. I removed the battery from my car so i cannot test all the gizmos I'm putting in until I put it back.

I struggled a bit to pull the upper ball joints but managed with a slightly modified gear puller. Zip ties are like duct tape. When all other tools fail...
Attached Thumbnails Project Celsior from Nam-dsc00470.jpg   Project Celsior from Nam-dsc00478.jpg  
Old 10-11-13, 10:10 AM
Tuha
Driver

Somebody please tell me, will a 98-00 steering rack work in a 95-97?
Old 10-11-13, 02:56 PM
Tuha
Driver

Hi Terje,
Not the steering column but the steering rack under the car. Here is a terrible (apologies) photo of the 98-00 rack. The second photo is the 98-00 PS Gear Assembly and the third photo is of the 95-97 PSGA. Notice that the PPS Solenoid is vertical on the one and horizontal on the other. (yes, I've been consulting the service manual thanks to http://www.ls400.ru/)
Attached Thumbnails Project Celsior from Nam-sam_0359.jpg   Project Celsior from Nam-windhoek-20131011-01264.jpg   Project Celsior from Nam-windhoek-20131011-01265.jpg  
Old 10-11-13, 03:11 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I looked at some of the part interchanges on a few websites, and they say that the 95-97 is a different rack that the 98+ ones. May just be minor differences though
Old 10-11-13, 09:40 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've met my brother from another country !
I too have a 1996 RHD JDM CELSIOR, and Im currently looking at rebuilding it. Im currently working on ensuring the mechanicals are sound before I am to deal with cosmetics. You can refer to my thread concerning your rough idling issue, and you can identify what Ive changed from the date I joined this forum till present.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-to-half.html
Goodluck and keep us updated!
Old 10-11-13, 10:52 PM
Terje1
Driver School Candidate

Sorry Tuha,my mistake.

The steering rack should fit the car and the splines for the flexible joint are the same.

I know it fits the crossmember where it is bolted since i have a 98 steering rack on my own car
Wich is a 96.
But i have a full ufc21 conversion.(even the full wiring harness)

However the solenoid part on the steering rack is not the same.

The connectors might not be the same but it is only two wires right?

Quick Reply: Project Celsior from Nam