Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Black on Black 97 build thread

Old 12-01-20, 03:00 PM
Black97SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Black on Black 97 build thread

hey guys, I was fortunate enough to buy a vehicle that I have been wanting for a long time. I ended up finding a black on black 97 in terrible condition for relatively cheap. The car runs great and everything works. Sadly, it needs quite a bit. Here is the list. Will post up pics very soon.
-Almost entirely new black interior
-black paint (shoutout to my friend here in Oregon for hooking me up with almost all of the black interior pieces that I need)
-coilovers
-manual swap
-exhaust
-Making a master key, Paid Lexus 15 bucks to get me a key code, they said that HQ didn't have one for my vehicle because its too old..

Stuff I need....driver and passenger black door panels. Please PM me if you have them...or just one side

Look I'm going for...with some personal touches.

Last edited by Black97SC; 12-01-20 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black97SC:
KahnBB6 (12-02-20), ThomasGS4 (12-01-20)
Old 12-02-20, 04:58 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Congratulations on the find! Despite needing some TLC it looks to be in mostly original condition which will be a good starting point. You'll have that SC in good shape before you know it

I am curious about this though:

Originally Posted by Black97SC
-Making a master key, Paid Lexus 15 bucks to get me a key code, they said that HQ didn't have one for my vehicle because its too old..
When the Lexus dealer said this to you did they mean the blank master key with remote function was no longer a stocked part or were you trying to get an electronic code to reprogram your old master remote key?

The master key blank *without* remote function should still be available for the early SC model years. For those you have to buy a master remote key blank matched to a transponder.

If the 1997 SC models have the slightly newer and larger Lexus remote type key that can be reprogrammed then it would be very odd for them not be able to work with that. Those Lexus keys usually allow for a dead center remote section to be replaced while the original metal key spade is retained.

Old 12-02-20, 07:47 AM
Black97SC
Driver School Candidate

Well, when I purchased the car the only key that I got was a valet key. I was told that if I went to a Lexus dealer and showed proof of ownership that they would then give me a key code so that I could have a master key cut. They sent all of my info to Lexus, but never actually gave me a key code....they said that Lexus didn't have the code anymore. I was told that my key code would be on my passenger side door lock cylinder.
Old 12-02-20, 08:15 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Don't forget to come pick up those fenders.

This is '98-00 specific for remote keys, and I've seen threads floating around for '97 and earlier that I haven't bookmarked, but it may be close enough in concept to point you in the right direction:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ogramming.html

The Eternity Key is great. You'll still need to get a remote chip for it. I imagine an online vendor can help you with that. The vendor I used cut the key from good photos of the existing one, as I didn't have a key code. I think I also sent in a photo of my title and DL.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (12-02-20)
Old 12-02-20, 09:11 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Looking good - can't wait to see this thing after a little TLC.
Old 12-02-20, 07:18 PM
Black97SC
Driver School Candidate

Whats up t2d2, I have not forgotten about the fenders!
Also, good news guys! For anyone around Oregon please visit emerald city locksmith in Eugene for all of your key needs. The old wide man there took my valet key, charged me 25 bucks, cut me a master key and gave me the master key code. He used some kind of machine to get a read on my valet key, then pulled out the fattest book that I've ever seen to figure out how to make a master from it. Granted, it's not an official Lexus key, be here is the valet key next to my new one. I can finally relax a little knowing that I don't have to pay Lexus what I had been quoted for a master....upwards of 500 bucks.
Old 12-02-20, 07:22 PM
Black97SC
Driver School Candidate

Got a small mountain of parts starting to pile up, cant wait to get the interior restored. Pics will deff come. Thanks again t2d2.
Old 12-03-20, 08:17 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

That's a damn good price for key cutting. Of the two main shops here, one couldn't do it and the other wanted I think $75 a key. And that was just to cut it. I already had the blank.
Old 12-06-20, 02:52 PM
Black97SC
Driver School Candidate

Got my swap kit all ordered, total I was able to get a used swap kit and some good rebuildable Ka cores. The issue is finding exactly what year they came out of... the rebuild kits seem to vary. Here they are in all of their nasty glory... goal is getting the swap done for under 2k, fingers crossed!