Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

ISFPOWER's BUILD THREAD.. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 04:46 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to give you a heads up over time the black pearl finish will wear off and starts to almost peal I have seen it in person. You may want to get all the emblems and grille surround clear coated.
Old 10-29-12, 04:51 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
just to give you a heads up over time the black pearl finish will wear off and starts to almost peal I have seen it in person. You may want to get all the emblems and grille surround clear coated.
damn, didn't know that. i'll talk to my bodyshop guy tomorrow about this. thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-29-12, 04:57 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

congrats on the ride! i also came from an old VQ / g35. used to post ***** on g35driver back in the day haha nice mods so far; in for updates.
Old 10-29-12, 05:19 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
damn, didn't know that. i'll talk to my bodyshop guy tomorrow about this. thanks for the heads up.
No problem man. I think you will be fine if you just add another clear coat.
Old 10-29-12, 05:26 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cremaster
congrats on the ride! i also came from an old VQ / g35. used to post ***** on g35driver back in the day haha nice mods so far; in for updates.
haha, it's a great engine. im so glad i got to own a true vq35de performance car . so reliable. more reliable than the hondas ive had

Originally Posted by zapa
No problem man. I think you will be fine if you just add another clear coat.
yeah, i was going clear coat the lense with PPG clear as well, what people dont know is if you do that, they headlights wont fade for a long time, and if it does, very easy to polish.

what sucks is scuffing up such a nice piece in the process
Old 10-29-12, 07:01 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

How much did you pay for the headlights?
I bet a small fortune?
Old 10-29-12, 07:06 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Nice pickup and shes coming along very nicely and it looks like you just blew through $5k in mods......
Old 10-29-12, 11:55 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rossi
How much did you pay for the headlights?
I bet a small fortune?
1800+ shipping for stripped lights. Had to pay 40 bucks for a flasher relay, two led harnesses which are 35 bucks each at the dealer, should be here tomorrow morning..so i have about 2k into the lights so far. trust me, i rather tell you i got it for a lower number

Originally Posted by Silver10
Nice pickup and shes coming along very nicely and it looks like you just blew through $5k in mods......
thank you. i did blow through a lot of money but the upside is , all i have been doing is selling stuff off the 350z for parts on this car which has helped a lot. i still have about 6k dollars of parts still on the Z still for sale so i intend on keep spending it on the ISF.
Old 10-30-12, 05:21 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

thank you. i did blow through a lot of money but the upside is , all i have been doing is selling stuff off the 350z for parts on this car which has helped a lot. i still have about 6k dollars of parts still on the Z still for sale so i intend on keep spending it on the ISF.
Geez....talk about some 1st-world problems I'd love to have.
Old 10-30-12, 01:09 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Where did you get the headlights for this price. Did you instal them yet? How difficult was it?
Old 10-30-12, 01:19 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ http://sewellparts.com/

When you register there, remember to put your Club Lexus username when it asks for it so you can get the discount.

@OP: The F is looking sharp! Good work!
Old 10-31-12, 10:06 AM
D&KsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Fedex man dropped this off this morning. over priced emblems but they do look great and i dont want to do any plastidipping on such an expensive car. plus i dont have to worry about them chipping. they look great in person.

got some wheel touch up incase, you never know. and i got some touch up paint. Thanks Sewell. very quick shipping.

I was told by my local dealer that they did not make any wheel touchup paint. Have you used any yet? How do the colors match and is the application smooth? Is it a two part application? Cost? I assume you used the Sewel CL discount?

Beautiful car, I have the exact same color combination in my garage. I am currently working on the paint. I purchased the car in August from Columbia SC and there appears to be some overspray or similar substance on the paint (the car was a daily driver for an engineer at the power plant there!). Any reccommendations for cleanup, glaze, wax and polish? I am planning on getting the Porter cable setup from Autogeeks, but definately need some advice on pad selection. I have always used Meguires products, but have heard and read of other people using what they claim is better. By the looks of your Z, you definately have quite a bit of experience in paint prep, and detail work, that car looks great!!

Keep up the mods!!
Old 10-31-12, 11:04 AM
LexF
Rookie

Dang I just got my 09 F too.
Any smell from deleting the mufflers?
Great mods thus far. I'll be a bit slower at modding mine.
Old 10-31-12, 09:48 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D&KsLexus
I was told by my local dealer that they did not make any wheel touchup paint. Have you used any yet? How do the colors match and is the application smooth? Is it a two part application? Cost? I assume you used the Sewel CL discount?

Beautiful car, I have the exact same color combination in my garage. I am currently working on the paint. I purchased the car in August from Columbia SC and there appears to be some overspray or similar substance on the paint (the car was a daily driver for an engineer at the power plant there!). Any reccommendations for cleanup, glaze, wax and polish? I am planning on getting the Porter cable setup from Autogeeks, but definately need some advice on pad selection. I have always used Meguires products, but have heard and read of other people using what they claim is better. By the looks of your Z, you definately have quite a bit of experience in paint prep, and detail work, that car looks great!!

Keep up the mods!!
i dont have any curb marks so i can't use it just yet but i bought it just in case. im sure it matches close enough for the naked eye to not stand out like a sore thumb. yes , i used the discount, i think it was like 9 bucks total without shipping.

thank you. porter cable 7424 is indeed a good unit. i would say get the Griots garage unit which is almost the same, a bit more cutting power and has a LIFETIME warranty. it's a hassle free warranty which is great. i still use the porter cable for cars that have minor swirls and scratches.

For pads, i'd stick with Lake country pads. they are widely used. for newer cars like the ISF, i would use orange with a medium polish, and white for a light polish. a black pad is for glazes that has almost no cutting power at all on the clear coat. blue pad i use for waxes.,

thank you on the Z. though i have a paint job which is why my clear coat is a lot easier to maintain, especially black. its cool that i can go for three or four years with almost no swirl marks in direct sun light. if you learn to properly how to wash a car, youd be surprise how new your paint can look. also my paint job consist of PPG 2021 clear which is one of my favorite automotive clears. the way it reflects back light with a good wetsanding job is amazing.

Originally Posted by LexF
Dang I just got my 09 F too.
Any smell from deleting the mufflers?
Great mods thus far. I'll be a bit slower at modding mine.

nope, no smells. thus the reason why i want to keep on the cats. also it doesn't dirty up the exhaust tip diffusers either.

thank you, tomorrow is the big day for installing the headlights , emblems and grille so wish me luck.
Old 11-01-12, 05:39 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

my apexi throttle controller came in yesterday thanks to Kramer. awesome unit. i can't believe how well this things work. my car feels like a rocket. it feels so fast , literally. anyone that is local can drive my car . i promise you, it will be the best 280 you spent on the car. im kicking myself in the *** all the money i spent on the Z and will never get the throttle response of this car. i can't tell you how much this thing makes a difference. this is coming from a guy who thinks bolt ons dont do nothing to most vehicles. i never exaggerate on little hp gains but this will make you "feel" like it's a rocket just because it takes little effort to press the gas and be down the road.
From where did you buy this? I'm going to ask my father-in-law for this for Christmas. He loves buying "fun" gifts for Christmas.

Quick Reply: ISFPOWER's BUILD THREAD.. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly