Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

Not quite an LS400 / engine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 04:39 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not quite an LS400 / engine conversion

I thought I could add my own car here after being long time reader and posting in a couple threads. Though my car isn't an LS400, it still has the engine and transmission borrowed from one, and my experience in troubleshooting it might be useful here.

So, back to the car. It has a long story involving a number of engine conversions, new suspension, all 4 disc brakes (instead of 4 drums), new rear axle with Detroit TrueTrac diff, and a number of smaller goodies.

Currently, it has 1uz-fe vvti in it. The engine came off some '2000 UCF21 Celsior with about 60.000 km on it. Timing belt and water pump were like new upon replacement. Nothing has been done to increase engine's performance, however it's enough for me 99.9% of the time

Short specs
Wheels - 15" , 195mm wide for winter, 215 for summer
Rear diff: 4.1
Fuel pump: Pierburg, 160LPH @ 3.5bar. Stock 3.3 bar regulator off LS430 with a custom off-tank adapter
Exhaust: 3UZ headers, 2x63mm into single 63mm, lots of space restrictions here
ECU: factory unit 89661-50521 with immo bypass, sub-o2 sensor emulators
Plan to use European ECU 89661-50440 to get rid of the speed limit, but it won't control Celsior's hydro fan speed.
Weight: 1570 kg with fuel and me onboard.
Cx: 0.41 (factory spec)
The body is 1970 model. My car was built in 1990.

I use the car daily. For summer season, its fuel consumption is 15.5 L/100km (city) and 11.2 L/100km (highway). That's 15.18 MPG and 21.0 MPG respectively.

Building period-correct exhaust (stage 1):
Old 03-19-15, 05:12 PM
Toyofhate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice love the odd ball cars
Old 04-07-15, 01:38 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Thanks! Really liked the brief description that says it all hehe
Old 04-07-15, 06:29 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

thats actually pretty damn cool
Old 04-08-15, 07:11 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet its a blast to drive.
Old 04-13-15, 12:57 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Thanks guys! Yes, driveability is really good, and it's surely a heads turner. Thanks to the weight of 1600kg (complete with fuel and driver) , the lack of cats, free exhaust and 4.1 diff, it's notably quicker than LS400

I wish that clip would show the fun of driving it

btw, here's the new exhaust system (completed)
Old 04-17-15, 09:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice build

If the lack of hydro fan is the only thing keeping you from the euro ECU you can convert it to the USDM clutch fan without issue. Or go electric fan+thermostat control.
Old 04-20-15, 01:20 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

PureDrifter, thanks!
I always thought that USDM LS400 would use electric fan, so what I found in catalog after seeing your message was a surptise for me.

Actually, there's a few options. I already developed a simple speed limit cut device which I sell with success but have no time to fit into my own car. I also have a HKS SLD Type 2 which will also work, but I don't like the idea of modifying engine loom (SLD needs quite a number of wires to be cut for installation)

Another option is a European or USDM ECU plus separate hydro fan control ECU which can be found in some toyota soarer and aristo models.

Yet another option is an electric fan. Toyota Crown Majesta in 17x body controls electric fan from ECU (like it's done in newer Toyotas). The computer located near the fan is just a power module. I do like this approach of integrating a number of functions in one ECU.

To fit a Majesta ECU however I will need to change pinout of engine loom (not a problem), fit another type of MAF (tricky), and develop a new idle up device (one that commands ECU to raise idle speed when you turn on headlights or rear window defogger) (UCF20 and UZS171 body control ECUs are not compatible, and so are the commands transmitted at MPX digital line).
Additionally, if I plan an electric fan I would need idler pulley assembly from a Crown to get rid of the oil pump for hydro fan, so the electric fan doesn't seem like a good choice for me right at the moment.

Think I will get away with a speed limit cut device, just need some time to fit it nicely, with soldering etc.
Old 04-21-15, 06:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I would convert to USDM or Euro UCF ecu and run the OEM clutch fan. No hydro fan nonsense, toyota reliability, and easy parts access in the future.

You just need the USDM fan bracket, clutch, and blades I believe, and Aisin makes the bracket for cheap.
Old 04-22-15, 04:53 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Fan pulley bracket:

Aisin part # FBT002
OEM part # 163070F010

There are aftermarket alternatives available as well.
Old 04-28-15, 06:19 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

PureDrifter , black_LS
Thanks! Very interesting to know that some of the UZ engines used clutch fan , very same clutch fan as the one usually found on the JZ.

I still prefer radiator-mounted fan to engine-mounted one for a number of reasons, one being tight front and side clearance and some engine inclination backwards in my project.

I think I will install fanless pulley and electric fan in some future (or even replace the whole powertrain with some of the UR or LS series). Until then , I can still source a used hydro fan for under $70 delivered to nearest warehouse. If the fan fails in a long trip, I would install electric fan and loop the hydro fan pump lines .
Old 05-18-15, 04:18 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Decided to fully rebuild the exhaust system once more in attempt to get period-correct sound. Could not run true duals due to space restrictions. Had to figure out exit pipes' shape thoroughly to bypass shock absorber and sway bar and allow for full travel of suspention.

I'm fully satisfied with the sound. It's of course obnoxious for a modern car like Lexus, but I think it perfectly fits my build. Performance wise, no much changes. Fuel consumption didn't change either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOO-X...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ4Os...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTO_E...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ow7S...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIv9p...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-10-15, 04:03 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

A few weeks earlier I described my troubles with ECU choice. I wanted speed limit cut, hydro fan operation, maybe more power. I think I could come up with , err, different solution

Seems like I will be the first to review the product

tom's ecu for ucf21
Old 07-10-15, 08:24 AM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Let us know how it works.
Old 07-13-15, 12:45 AM
GeorgeNVA
Driver

Originally Posted by black_LS
Nice! Let us know how it works.
Will absolutely do that
It's now on its way from Japan to me.
Before fitting it to my car, I will open the case and take some pictures of the internals. I will have to do it anyway to install my sub o2 sensor emulators, immo bypass device and other goodies

Quick Reply: Not quite an LS400 / engine conversion