Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC300 Estate Sale Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-20, 11:45 AM
ShaunR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Estate Sale Build

Can't say I was looking for one of these. But when my neighbor passed and his family asked if I wanted the car for 1200bux, I couldn't say no.
One owner, 80K miles and came with all the original paperwork and a few brochures from the early 90s.

First pic from when I got it. Left out back with 12 quarts of oil in it and a flat battery. Low oil sensor broke and light kept coming on so he just kept filling it up.

First round of parts ordered. 18x9.5 wheels, 30mm all around with 245s up front and 265s out back. Coilovers to lower it down and replace the original equipment. This also was the start of plugging of oil leak after oil leak after oil leak....

I will eventually upgrade the front calipers but for now fresh pads/rotors/fluid will do.

Still need to level it out and send it off for an alignment, finish that up later this week.

Speedo and Tach were reading low, few lights out. Now back with all new LEDs and fixed needles.

Only flaw in the interior, need to do some research on how to fix that.

Really tempted to toss this bad boy back on the windshield and cruise around.

Quick power wash to clean things up then back in the garage for now.

Not sure what the end plan is. Thinking of just sorting the suspension and brakes, tint, stereo speakers need replacing, then cruise for a while. Leaning towards NA-T conversion and aim for around 350-400 to the wheel and call it a day.
Old 09-05-20, 11:47 AM
ShaunR
Driver School Candidate

Few of the brochures that came with the car and two sets of keys!

Not the best interior pic but shows just how clean this thing was.
Old 09-05-20, 02:53 PM
KiroLS
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats! Good looking ride. Rims look nice as well, I have not seen those before. What are your offsets and tire sizes?
Old 09-05-20, 03:05 PM
ShaunR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KiroLS
Congrats! Good looking ride. Rims look nice as well, I have not seen those before. What are your offsets and tire sizes?
Thanks. I was looking at the Enkei PF05 and came across these at Tirerack on clearance. 140bux a wheel and didn't think twice.
They are 18x9.5 30mm offset all around.
Front tires are 245/40-18
Rear tires are 265/35-18
Old 09-06-20, 09:51 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

You got a great deal on such a clean car. It’s looking good so far and I love the wheels.

Did you fix the gauge cluster lighting yourself? It’s nice and bright.
Old 09-07-20, 09:02 AM
ShaunR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
You got a great deal on such a clean car. It’s looking good so far and I love the wheels.

Did you fix the gauge cluster lighting yourself? It’s nice and bright.
I was going to replace the needles myself, but once I found out both gauges needed to be replaced it was an easy decision to sent it off to the pros. A company called Tanin rebuilt it’s for me and switched all the LEDs from off white to bright white. Looks much more modern now.
Old 09-07-20, 12:56 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Awesome score. A little bit of elbow grease and some nice parts has that thing looking terrific already!
Old 09-08-20, 08:13 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Even if the price itself weren't a screamer, you can't pass up neighbor deals like that. It takes most of the uncertainty out of buying a used car ... the ol', "why are they selling it?" concerns.

Tanin is very well known on the forums here. You made the right choice going with them.
Old 12-27-20, 09:26 AM
ShaunR
Driver School Candidate

Finally getting around to this project again. Between house renovations and work, it's been a slow process. No documentation on the timing belt and it actually looks like it's been done recently, replacing anyways as I need to plug the massive oil leak coming out the front. Having issues getting the oil pump off to replace those gaskets. Is there a trick to this part? Previous owner overfilled it due to oil sensor going bad and light staying on. Pumped 12 quarts out of it when I got it and not taking any chances with these seals. Pic dumb as everyone like to look at projects.

Old 12-31-20, 09:57 AM
ShaunR
Driver School Candidate

Quick question. Does the orientation of the washer that was by the crank belt pulley matter? I see some pics with it concave in and others where it is out. Belt has been done in this car before and have a feeling the person who did it was off TDC on all hubs as I had to reset my ignition timing when done. I have a small rattle that I can’t figure out and now wondering if that washer is on correctly. TIA!

First ever timing belt install and easier than I though. Oddly enough took less time that the valve cover gaskets.
Old 01-02-21, 12:28 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 379 Likes on 257 Posts

Wow, what a great find and project to take on. Aside from the typical window trim failure, the interior appears to be in wonderful shape.

The oil leaks are common and for me (when I got our car back from our son that had it outside for 6-7 years) most of the budget went towards fixing all the leaks.

Keep up the great work! Always encouraging to see our platforms being brought back to full status.
Old 01-02-21, 02:18 PM
ShaunR
Driver School Candidate

Turns out it wasn’t the oil pump or front main seal leak, it was all cam seals. I could spin the seals around with my hand and were most likely blown out by the previous owner overfilling the oil. She’s all sealed up and random noise was just the drive belt pulley needing to be replaced soon, so cheap and easy. Still need to track down an oil level sensor to replace what started all this drama. Pulled it and cleaned it off while checking the connections, still turns on so it’s time for a new one.