Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzge Taco build

Old 08-27-18, 03:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts
Default 2jzge Taco build

(2001 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4) + (1995 2jzge na-t w/quick spool valve) + (R150F 4x4) =

This swap is going to take me a while so stay tuned, will post progress as it happens, but I'll try to keep it shorter than Kahn's build
I will be building up the chassis and the engine separate and when both are ready I will yank the 5VZ/Auto out and drop the 2JZ/R150F in.

I'll try and get some pics up soon but its not much to look at, the rear is sagging , paint is shot, rolling on steelies.. but the body is straight w/o rust.
I plan to get all the little stuff correct and refreshed, suspension lift, new wheels/tires, and finish it with new black factory paint. Swap it and strap it in to a dyno and see what happens!
Old 08-27-18, 03:50 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

this is gonna be good
Old 08-28-18, 06:18 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,196 Likes on 830 Posts

I've got an '03 double cab and can't wait to see more of this!
Old 08-28-18, 08:23 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Now that you've mastered 2jz nat/gte ecu cop setup, you can pretty much build anything to make 500+hp fun taco, I can't wait!!
Old 08-28-18, 08:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

A picture from the Colorado Supra BBQ meet over the weekend. Good turnout, almost 20 mk4's by lunch time.. perfect weather and the BBQ was really good!!

The Project Taco

The 95 2jzge na-t that is getting torn down and resealed etc.. Had a crazy thick headgasket on it that let go. Leakdown test was fine so going to clean it up and get it back together and see how it does unless Gerrb convinces me to drop a GTE in lol.
Just got to disassembling it, haven't had time to clean it all up and get it back together but I did put viton valve stem seals already. That toyo tool for the springs is a must, makes it so much easier.

Probably going to be a bit before I make more progress on the engine since I have to move it all to the new place, but I did order the Old Man EMU 2.25" lift springs for the rear.
Once I get those installed and see the final height I will get the front suspension sorted out, and probably new balljoints etc... I think I am going to put a new rack on it as well

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-28-18 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 09:37 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

nah... not gonna convince you this time to go GTE cause I myself am looking at an NA-T build with a vvti head on one of the original 5 speed shells since I doubt both 93 and 97 shell will sell as bare shells ..... all GE parts except for the aftermarket rods and pistons . Looking at the treadstone exhaust manifold since I would like to use the stock intake for a sleeper engine bay , just like that of Lawrence (93twintrbo)

throw a vvti head on that thing and aim for at least 750rwhp and get a better torque down low. That's at least a 4k lbs truck so need to get it going with more muscle . It's a 95 block so its oil pump should have a hole for crank sensor and have the right hole for the banjo bolt for vvti solenoid supply.
Old 08-28-18, 10:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

That was my original plan was to put a vvti head on it, but since this truck has emissions I figured going with the non vvti head would be simpler and I could run an obd2 GTE ecu if needed.
I was reading that an IS300 ecu can take almost a bar of boost with decent timing and fueling (someone logged it), so I could build a vvti and have that as a fallback as well if I need obd2 to work.

I already ordered the vvti crank timing gear and oil pump as I wanted to have those in there so it was ready to go vvti at anytime.
VVTI would be very helpful down low for a truck, so I think I will have to reconsider my plan, thanks for the push Gerry!
Old 08-28-18, 04:51 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

How is emissions in CO ? Do they just check if there are ECU Error codes from the ODB2 port just like here in GA ? If yes , for emissions ... install the 1998-2000 SC300 vvti ECU ... they are basically same wiring with the Aristo 2jzgte VVTi .
Old 08-28-18, 10:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

They do try and connect, but I am not sure if that would fail it overall by itself.
As long as I have a backup I can go that route, the sc300 vvti ecu/harness is a good idea.
Should I get the crank gear tack welded?
Old 08-28-18, 11:08 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look Forward to seeing the build progress, this is going to be awesome!
I have been toying with the idea of fitting a 1UZ in a 3rd Gen 4Runner since the earlier SC400 uses the 2WD auto trans that comes in the 4Runners and Tacomas.
Old 08-29-18, 02:57 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
They do try and connect, but I am not sure if that would fail it overall by itself.
As long as I have a backup I can go that route, the sc300 vvti ecu/harness is a good idea.
Should I get the crank gear tack welded?
Yeah , if I were you then , VVTi it is . Use the SC300 vvti ECU for emissions only. Only catch there is make sure when you get an SC300 vvti ECU , one copy of original key comes with it. The key chip is programmed on the ECU.

For the non VVTi crank gear , I usually at the minimum give it 3 spot welds if you don't want it welded all around. It is a good disaster prevention at high RPMs.

Glad the Tacomas have a 2jz engine mounts easily available in the market. I wish the Chevy / GMCs too . I have a Tahoe 4x4 sitting around that can benefit with a 2jz with 4x4 .
Old 11-07-18, 02:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Well, after much debate.. going VVTI!!

Got in quite a few parts and slowly making progress.
Got a SC300 VVTI harness in (Thanks Gerry) which runs into the cab to the stock ecu location.
Picked up a Aristo 2jzgte vvti ecu with no immobilizer which plugs right up to the harness, and a gte vvti maf with the adapter pipe.

Also picked up an IS300 vvti cylinder head and got it hot tanked and 10 thousandths milled off of it.
Threw in some viton valve stem seals and cleaned up all the little bits and reassembled it.
With a TT headgasket and early n/a pistons I should be around 9.2-9.3 compression.
That will work well for my altitude (mile high) and power goals.
Its so clean now I am really happy I didn't have to clean it myself

I am pretty set on going with a Front Facing Intake Manifold (FFIM) but need to wait and see what kind of space I have when I drop it in.
For the time being I picked up a 1JZ vvti throttle body and flange in case I decide to retain the partial drive by wire system on the vvti motors for idle control etc...
I will probably end up just using a 90mm throttle body I suspect if the stock ecu doesn't freak out, but the gte throttle body is my backup plan.

I started tearing down the 2jzge block, and was having trouble getting the crank gear sproket off... after literally destroying it I finally got it off.
bottom end seems to be in good shape and nothing majorly loose that shouldn't be.
Will clean the last bits up and give it a fresh coat of paint and then start the reassembly.

And apparently the vvti crank sprocket is a one piece design, so no welding is necessary on the vvti crank gear.
only need the welding on the non vvti crank gears. So I picked up a vvti crank gear, crank sensor, and oil pump from a is300 to make it all work together.

Now for the actual truck stuff, I got the rear OME Dakar leaf springs installed with bilstein shocks. Looks a lot better I think.
Front has a spacer lift from when I bought it and will be doing bilsteins up front with some OME coils at some point along with upper control arms at the very least.
Also got some 5th gen 4runner wheels that are less common with the right offsets, have the tall skinny mud tires on them which will do for now.
I am planning to go with a 33" or maybe a 34" when I get new tires, but I'll have to do some major trimming and pounding on the car for the 34"

I was planning on getting a paint job for the car when I am getting closer to finished and it gets a little warmer, but now am thinking about one of those exterior bed lining jobs like the raptor liner.
I have seen lots of pictures of trucks with those, and when done well (prep, lots of prep) they come out pretty good. I guess I will let that simmer for a while and see what I decide.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-08-18 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 02:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

So my brother brought up a good point that I won't be able to put 2JZ power down in 2wd since the truck is light in the back (the double cab helps a bit though).
I can already spin the tall skinnies.. so with a stick and much more power it will just spin.

So I ordered up a FJ cruiser transfer case from a 6spd, which has the full time 4wd with the center torsen differential.
I will be swapping the front input shaft from the r150f or Automatic transfer case due to the spline difference on the 6 speed manuals which are a hair beefier.
Once that is done I should have a full time 4wd torsen setup with a full manual shifter and almost no electronics, and it can mate to a 5speed or an auto transmission.

The transfer cases from a V8 4runner or GX470 are also torsen full time units, but they have an electronic actuator on the back that can leak.. and you need an ecu and wiring.. no thanks!
Part of me wants to stick it in the tacoma early just to test it out before I swap the engine/trans.. I think I could do it in about 4 hours if i'm not too distracted.

So the updated title should be:
(2001 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4) + (1995 2jzge block, vvti head, na-t w/quick spool valve) + (R150F 4x4) + (FJ full time 4wd transfer case) =

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-08-18 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 09:54 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Pics didn’t come through Ali, but man you got some work to do ahead!!
so to use a vvti head you have to use either vvti ge ecu or get ecu correct?
besides the oil pump and water pump and all the other stuff?
2jz 4wd project would be bad ***!
Old 11-08-18, 09:25 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Thanks Lexxium, I think the pics should come through now, apparently I didn't put them in my shared album

Yeah with the vvti head you need something to control vvti, so either the ge vvti ecu or the gte vvti ecu (or standalone).
I was happy with my previous tt ecu mod, so will be trying the vvti version of it out and see how it goes.

Physically it's mostly the cylinder head, the vvti actuator/oil feed line, and the oil pump/crank gear/ crank sensor that you need parts wise.
If you run an upper is300 intake you can solve most of the other problems too but I want to go front facing if I can make it work without too much hassle.

I don't think very many people have made their tacoma full time 4wd, with the stock engine it would likely be a little boring but with 2jz power I think it will be sweet.
The nice thing about the toyota full time cases with the torsen center diff is that they are rear wheel biased until it slips and then it goes even bias on the fly.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-08-18 at 10:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jzge Taco build