Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 03:40 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Someone sent me a PM last night with this question : "When do we need an ignition amplifier like an HKS DLI for a boosted car ? " . Technically a stock 2jzGTE do not need it . I have seen cars making 750rwhp or more not having one . That depends on a lot of factors. You need to remember that if you are still using the original stock coils some of these JDM swaps are old, so their coils may not be functioning like new ones, thus beefing up ignition with an amplifier is good .

There are things on a Performance car that you can never have enough meaning being overkill is actually good IMHO . The two most important things for me are FUEL and IGNITION . But they have to be done properly also like yeah you can get to flow tons of fuel in your system but you don't want all the fuel flowing all the time when it is not needed cause it will heat up the fuel. So proper setup is the key. They say a huge Weldon pump that can deliver tons of fuel is noisy . There are ways to combat that .. use a PWM controller or install a small pump for cruising and activate the Weldon only when needed. Another option is triple pump activated one after the other when needed. But they say that at high hp one of the pump konks out then you are in danger of ruining your engine . Well , if you have the right Engine Computer Unit that has Fuel Pressure Compensation features , the moment it senses anything not right , it protects your engine by limiting boost or even shutting down the engine. Same thing with GOOD IGNITION ... a good ignition will make sure that fuel and compressed air will burn properly at the right time . That is what gives you the explosion at the right time that is translated into that power and torque.

Just like I said , I may not need or use always the 1500rwhp power (wishful thinking here for now but I don't see any reason why I will not attain it one day ) I will try to achieve on my current 1997 SC300 3.4liter 2jzGTE VVTi 6 speed project but there is nothing wrong having it knowing that your drive / power train setup can handle so much power and when needed it is there . With the availability of newer technologies in turbos , ECUs , nitrous and other stuff , it is all about the right setup or combination of individual parts you put together in building a mean machine.

as 1sickgt said "always build more but use less". Gone are the days when one has over 500rwhp and the car is not streetable anymore. Again it is all about the combination of parts you put now a days. Technology has gone a long way too when it comes to performance cars.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-01-17 at 06:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gerrb:
Ezroni (02-02-17), KahnBB6 (02-09-17)
Old 02-01-17, 09:02 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

1sickGT - I know we all love pictures . Here you go .. things that should have been installed already so the two 1 of 120 1997 SC300 5 speed I got late last year would be at least running by now even if only as stock 2JZs so they are not considered junked cars by my wife

The 2jzGTE with V160 6speed should go to the other black 1997 SC300 5speed and the 2jzGE with W58 5speed should go to the green 1997 SC300 5speed. That GE whose lower oil pan I already did drill for oil return is a very low mileage engine with a ClutchMaster FX400 clutch disk. Who knows, I might get the zest of doing an NA-T at around 400-450rwhp since the limiting factor will be the W58. I should have installed this engine way before Christmas but the holidays spirit got me lazy and also was not so sure whether I wanted to keep 3 1 of 120 1997 SC300 original 5speed when I got the second black 1997 SC300 5speed so I didn't do it.

Well after our trip at the Super Bowl , these should keep me busy . I know you said , I was slacking since the start of 2017 , lol . Well your next update pictures will be in June .. hahahaha.

Name:  20170201_094729_zpsgeemseod.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  289.7 KB

Name:  20170201_094709_zpsnwtz2xxy.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  294.3 KB

Name:  20170201_094804_zpsf6u9l9av.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  304.1 KB

Name:  20170201_094651_zpsqqs2v7m8.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  276.5 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 02-01-17 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-01-17, 11:04 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Gerry I wouldnt waste your time with the w58 in an NA-T appplication....I barely got 1000 miles out of it after GTE swap....and I was not hard on it at all.
Old 02-01-17, 04:43 PM
1SICKGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no updates till june wtf

guess I will be protesting in Gwinnett County

for the next 5 months lol

well have a safe trip to houston I will be watching it on TV
Old 02-02-17, 04:06 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Gerry I wouldnt waste your time with the w58 in an NA-T appplication....I barely got 1000 miles out of it after GTE swap....and I was not hard on it at all.
Well you are right , a W58 after 350rwhp / ft.lbs is on borrowed times . I have seen some survived over 450 . The reality is the W58 wasn't meant to be on boosted cars otherwise sooner or later it will be torn apart. The third 1of120 1997 SC300 5speed I have might not be one that I will keep so I will just put it back to its original state with a low mileage 2JZGE 5speed . I don't feel like keeping 3 of those 1997s. But the two I will transform into a high hp 2jzGTE VVTi 6 speed and a high hp 2jzGE VVTi 6 speed. They are the rare 1997 SC300 5 speeds so they got to have the best drive / power trains. It will take time cause it won't be cheap but I will make it happen. I have been collecting parts I see fit for them and whenever I have extra cash to play with. The beauty about it is I will do most of the work to save me tons of money . I will let the professionals though do the short block build and head porting since am looking at stroker kits / billet caps for the short block and all ferrea valve train for the ported heads . I hate to learn on very expensive parts and mess them up. I will leave that to the professionals so I am assured of the quality of work .

Originally Posted by 1SICKGT
no updates till june wtf

guess I will be protesting in Gwinnett County

for the next 5 months lol

well have a safe trip to houston I will be watching it on TV
Not unless you are willing to come around and help me out . I told you , I need to play more than wrench from now on. I will wrench only whenever I feel like it.

Thank you , definitely will have fun . Well I hope the Falcons will go to the distance... winning the Super Bowl that was so elusive for them. They are definitely the under dog . They never won a Super Bowl and only their 2nd time being in a Super Bowl match. Well , they did make Atlanta proud and the Georgia Dome right on its final game before the dome will be torn down this year ... giving it the NFC championship. That alone was already a feat that many never thought will happen during the early stages of NFL 2017.

Dirty Birds will be in Houston .. Rise Up Atlanta !

Last edited by gerrb; 02-02-17 at 05:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jwin (02-05-17)
Old 02-02-17, 09:32 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

man reading these really makes me want to boost my SC300... but then again it's a '97 so idk if i should be racing around in it lol
Old 02-05-17, 12:21 AM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't na-t a vvti 2jzge as you don't really have room to run 1/2 studs if you're trying to make 1500whp with it. I would highly recommend using a 2jzge non vvti if you want to run na-t. I Am in the process of building a sc300 drag na-t aluminum rod motor.
Old 02-05-17, 09:31 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
1sickGT - I know we all love pictures . Here you go .. things that should have been installed already so the two 1 of 120 1997 SC300 5 speed I got late last year would be at least running by now even if only as stock 2JZs so they are not considered junked cars by my wife

The 2jzGTE with V160 6speed should go to the other black 1997 SC300 5speed and the 2jzGE with W58 5speed should go to the green 1997 SC300 5speed. That GE whose lower oil pan I already did drill for oil return is a very low mileage engine with a ClutchMaster FX400 clutch disk. Who knows, I might get the zest of doing an NA-T at around 400-450rwhp since the limiting factor will be the W58. I should have installed this engine way before Christmas but the holidays spirit got me lazy and also was not so sure whether I wanted to keep 3 1 of 120 1997 SC300 original 5speed when I got the second black 1997 SC300 5speed so I didn't do it.

Well after our trip at the Super Bowl , these should keep me busy . I know you said , I was slacking since the start of 2017 , lol . Well your next update pictures will be in June .. hahahaha.

Gerry do you have any tripod w58 transmissions laying around that you might want to sell? There is one local to me that if I get back from out of town in time I most likely be picking up. Might be sticking to the na-t route for the time being. Gathering parts.. sorry for quoting on pic. Lol. Go falcons!!!!
Old 02-06-17, 04:29 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ezroni
man reading these really makes me want to boost my SC300... but then again it's a '97 so idk if i should be racing around in it lol
Upgrading your car as long as it is for the better and done right should get its value better. Boosted or not , racing or not .. a car can get into an accident. It can just be on the drive way and a tree falls on it . For me the most important thing is you enjoy it.

Originally Posted by jwin
I wouldn't na-t a vvti 2jzge as you don't really have room to run 1/2 studs if you're trying to make 1500whp with it. I would highly recommend using a 2jzge non vvti if you want to run na-t. I Am in the process of building a sc300 drag na-t aluminum rod motor.
jwin - you do not anymore need 1/2 head studs to support 1500rwhp. Technology has gone a long way in performance parts too. Real Street Performance made 1815rwhp using regular stock size head studs . I believe they used +625 head bolts on that engine. That build and video is on SF. The only way I will do an NA-T is if it is a VVTi. I just want to have a high hp GE and GTE VVTi setup that will top my 4 supras so I can call them the Supra MKIV Killers. And they are both 1 of 120 so that makes them special.

Originally Posted by nuturf87
Gerry do you have any tripod w58 transmissions laying around that you might want to sell? There is one local to me that if I get back from out of town in time I most likely be picking up. Might be sticking to the na-t route for the time being. Gathering parts.. sorry for quoting on pic. Lol. Go falcons!!!!
I don't have one for now . The engine and trans on my third 1997 SC300 5speed you see below will be taken out. It wasn't running when I got it so I have no idea of the trans condition .

Name:  20170204_073942_zpsu33vxiqg.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  280.1 KB

Name:  20170204_075302_zpsoduuctc4.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  308.7 KB

Name:  20170204_075619_zpsxtge3cnw.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  251.8 KB

For those who says , they cannot get a clean SC shell for cheap .. just do your research well or talk to people from the South especially FL. The south is the best place to look for them cause we don't have rusty buckets here. If ever then that means that car wasn't an original Southern car or had been terribly abused .Faded paint or clear coat, because of the heat from the sun is easier to deal with than cars that have rusts. They are there laying around at someone's garage or barn and can be bought for cheap like this black 1 of 120 gem. Pretty sure no one will believe me if I say how much I got this 3rd 5speed 1997 SC300 , lmaol . It was not running, but for $1k plus my cost to bring it home, I will take it anytime of the day. Just the trans is worth that much already. Many times people just send me a text message asking me if I want their non running SC, lol. I don't even know where some at times get my phone number. I don't even look for these cars anymore and they keep popping in front of me. Like before I went to Texas for the Super Bowl, someone sold me a clean but high mileage 200k miles SC400 for $2500. I don't even need the shell . All I will get are the Weds Kranze Deep Dish wheels (for my APTech Wide Body Project) for which I am already getting back my money cause surely those Kranze costs more than $2500, 97+ body kit with tail lights,and all front lights , excellent condition black interior , Stance coilovers and all around original Supra MKIV brakes calipers and rotors. As I kept on saying , that is an excellent way of getting good free stuff .. from good deals. Or I can sell some of the stuff and get back first my $2500 and all the rest are free. If anyone local wants a high mileage silver shell with running engine .. bring your wheels and it is yours free after I have taken out and replaced its suspensions. It is a clean shell with good title. I still have two shells in my backyard so I definitely don't need that SC400. But remember .. no 97+ kit and no interior plus bring your wheels before I get it towed out.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-06-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-07-17, 08:11 AM
nuturf87
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
Upgrading your car as long as it is for the better and done right should get its value better. Boosted or not , racing or not .. a car can get into an accident. It can just be on the drive way and a tree falls on it . For me the most important thing is you enjoy it.

jwin - you do not anymore need 1/2 head studs to support 1500rwhp. Technology has gone a long way in performance parts too. Real Street Performance made 1815rwhp using regular stock size head studs . I believe they used +625 head bolts on that engine. That build and video is on SF. The only way I will do an NA-T is if it is a VVTi. I just want to have a high hp GE and GTE VVTi setup that will top my 4 supras so I can call them the Supra MKIV Killers. And they are both 1 of 120 so that makes them special.

I don't have one for now . The engine and trans on my third 1997 SC300 5speed you see below will be taken out. It wasn't running when I got it so I have no idea of the trans condition .

For those who says , they cannot get a clean SC shell for cheap .. just do your research well or talk to people from the South especially FL. The south is the best place to look for them cause we don't have rusty buckets here. If ever then that means that car wasn't an original Southern car or had been terribly abused .Faded paint or clear coat, because of the heat from the sun is easier to deal with than cars that have rusts. They are there laying around at someone's garage or barn and can be bought for cheap like this black 1 of 120 gem. Pretty sure no one will believe me if I say how much I got this 3rd 5speed 1997 SC300 , lmaol . It was not running, but for $1k plus my cost to bring it home, I will take it anytime of the day. Just the trans is worth that much already. Many times people just send me a text message asking me if I want their non running SC, lol. I don't even know where some at times get my phone number. I don't even look for these cars anymore and they keep popping in front of me. Like before I went to Texas for the Super Bowl, someone sold me a clean but high mileage 200k miles SC400 for $2500. I don't even need the shell . All I will get are the Weds Kranze Deep Dish wheels (for my APTech Wide Body Project) for which I am already getting back my money cause surely those Kranze costs more than $2500, 97+ body kit with tail lights,and all front lights , excellent condition black interior , Stance coilovers and all around original Supra MKIV brakes calipers and rotors. As I kept on saying , that is an excellent way of getting good free stuff .. from good deals. Or I can sell some of the stuff and get back first my $2500 and all the rest are free. If anyone local wants a high mileage silver shell with running engine .. bring your wheels and it is yours free after I have taken out and replaced its suspensions. It is a clean shell with good title. I still have two shells in my backyard so I definitely don't need that SC400. But remember .. no 97+ kit and no interior plus bring your wheels before I get it towed out.
Na-t that 97!!! I figured that you wouldn't have one. Lol. I just know that you are sittings on tons of parts wanted to take a shot. BTW I grabbed a low mile jdm supra tripod w58 with flywheel yesterday. But thanks for responding.
Old 02-07-17, 08:54 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nuturf87
Na-t that 97!!! I figured that you wouldn't have one. Lol. I just know that you are sittings on tons of parts wanted to take a shot. BTW I grabbed a low mile jdm supra tripod w58 with flywheel yesterday. But thanks for responding.
It will be an NA-T but a built VVTi with a Tremec Magnum 6 speed . I will keep the other 97 with a V160 6 speed so I can compare . Gathering drive / power train parts so that they have everything same except the transmission.

I told you next time , send me a message first .. hahaha. I could have hooked you up with a buddy selling his never used CD009 setup cause he went into TH400. A 2007 CD009 , Collins adapter with Dual Disk Clutch setup for a give away price. It is cheaper than that W58 with your new aftermarket clutch / pp / flywheel .

Today am installing this 4.27 differential and take out the 4.08 on this 97 SC300 5 speed. Eventually this car will have the Tremec Magnum 6 speed. This ring gear will be a better combination since I don't go to the drag strip that I needed a taller first gear to build boost. I want better acceleration . Though with the 2.66 Tremec .. the first gear will still be taller than that of the V160 first gear so I can still have better boost build compared to the V160 then the others are shorter which will be better for me. Well eventually once I have the money , an aftermarket LSD have to get into this 4.27 pumpkin .

Name:  20170206_111756_zps24b73ouh.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  328.4 KB
Old 02-07-17, 09:23 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I just thumbed through the thread here, and I have to say, you have got a passion for the SC! You've got to be an authority on the car by now. Wow... Nice work too, btw.
Old 02-08-17, 04:03 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I just thumbed through the thread here, and I have to say, you have got a passion for the SC! You've got to be an authority on the car by now. Wow... Nice work too, btw.
Thanks for the compliment .... this guy is just another guy across the street . Even before I had my MKIVs , I always had that love for the SC.
Old 02-08-17, 08:29 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Gerry, how do you feel about using GE pistons and a TT HG? I'm building a 2jz block for my 1jz head and trying to decide whether to use the gte pistons from the 1jz or just use the ge pistons.

Either way its getting new rings and bearings
Old 02-08-17, 09:56 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chnk
Hey Gerry, how do you feel about using GE pistons and a TT HG? I'm building a 2jz block for my 1jz head and trying to decide whether to use the gte pistons from the 1jz or just use the ge pistons.

Either way its getting new rings and bearings
You should be fine with the GE pistons / TT HG . Compression will be around 9.1 which is good if you want to try pouring E85 into the gas tank .

With higher compression , you don't have to run as much boost to get same power but you have less room for errors when boosting and you are using pump 93 on high compression engines.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys