Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 09:15 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Someone was asking if there are other options of fueling a high hp SC without using that very expensive Weldon Fuel System I had in my ultimate SC Sleeper and which I posted in my previous posts. Yes , definitely ... NO DOUBT. Though one thing I would say , when you are making power above +1000rwhp , you probably have spent a lot of money on your setup if you did it right and the fuel system is not something you would like to cheap out on. Even a short instance of getting lean can melt your pistons or engine goes kaaaboooommmmm if your ECU failsafes do not quickly catch any fuel system malfunctions.

On my other SC that is in the vicinity of the 1000rwhp mark on E85 without any power adder for which I have the meth / water / alcohol injection system installed , I have 3 pumps (Denso and 2 Bosch 044 on a surge tank). I prefer to use the Denso as my in-tank pump since it is quieter than a Bosch 044 . I tried my extra Bosch 044 as in-tank and I would really be a trooper to go around cruising with that noisy pump in the tank . The way it is plumbed is the in-tank Denso supplies to one end of the fuel rail through a -8an line. The return goes to the surge tank. The two Bosch 044 which have check valves are staged and turned on by the aftermarket ECU based on need / according to power / boost level . Any excess fuel on the surged tank is pushed back to the stock fuel tank. I diverted away from the usual way of using a surge tank in which usually the in-tank pump only supply to the surge tank. In my setup , I wanted to utilize more / better the in-tank Denso pump by supplying fuel up to 350rwhp / 12psi of boost . It is quiet . I hate noisy pumps while cruising around town. Don't get me wrong though about Weldon Pumps , the 14000 controller is there to slow down the flow and make the pump quieter and not flow so much fuel that heats it up consequently. So not because you have a Weldon , it will be noisy.... not at all with the controller.

Attached is a picture of my fuel setup from the SC with the meth / water / alcohol injection system when I was installing it.... two Bosch 044 from the surge tank and one TT Denso in-tank . Those 3 pumps can easily supply for a +1250rwhp setup on E85 .
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170816_090842.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 08-18-17 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-16-17, 09:57 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Gerry for all the good info on the Weldon fuel system and over text messages. Helped me out quite a bit!
Old 08-18-17, 09:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Did you ever go down to Cali yet to get the SC430?
Old 08-19-17, 02:11 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
Thanks Gerry for all the good info on the Weldon fuel system and over text messages. Helped me out quite a bit!
You are welcome Richard . Glad to be of help.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Did you ever go down to Cali yet to get the SC430?
No , I haven't. In fact we had to cut our vacation short because my daughter had an emergency and was operated on the week we were scheduled to make that trip so it never happened . My wife had to go back to work at a school after that.

The car has been delivered and now garaged at one of my cousins house in West Covina so it is safe . I might have to pick it up alone which I hate to do or get it shipped or get it during the Christmas break of my wife which is not the best time to travel by car. I really don't know now . For now it is in a safe place so I have nothing to worry .

hhmmm... maybe I will get someone on this forum who works in LA and regularly visits his family in FL. I will ask him to drive it to GA and just pay for all his expenses....hahaha. He already knows the situation on that SC430. KhanBB6 .. hint hint hint . Craig .. just kidding .

For now , that will be the least of my worries. I bought that car before our vacation and now am cutting down on the number of SCs I have . I don't even have the zest anymore to do a 2jzgte swap on that car now. It is a low mileage 2004 . Once I have disposed one of the stock 1997 SC300 5speed and the stock SC with 2jzgte swap , I was thinking to get it a twin brother convertible ...in the +2003 SL500 AMG and just enjoy them as is. I saw a good number of those convertibles in Europe and fell in love. In fact I have a trade ad at the Lexus Vehicles classified section.

Last edited by gerrb; 08-19-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 05:08 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Someone was asking me if my selling price of $12.5k for the 1997 SC300 5 speed (1 of 120) was firm . NO IT IS NOT . It is very negotiable and am willing to sell it for a lot lower so the buyer can get it painted. It has small dings and dents and I have installed back the stock 1997 body kit so it needs a paint job. It used to have the APTech Body kit. I will give the first serious buyer a real good deal so he can have a 1 of 120 .

I posted that price to weed out the CURIOUS from those who are SERIOUS. I will only negotiate though with those I feel and show me how serious they are. Just too many wishful thinkers and tire kickers. This car has barely 117 k miles on the clock .Engine is ready to be boosted as is. I have installed a Clutch Master FX400 clutch / pressure plate for the transmission to hold 170% more torque and the oil pan already has a -10an oil return fitting for a single turbo oil supply / return setup. This is my best 1997 SC300 5speed 1 of 120 . It had been in my possession for the past 4 years. I even installed a 2jzgte / 6 speed and just reinstalled the stock 2jzge / 5 speed since am letting it go.

If someone will buy this car for that asking price though , for another $3.5k , I will include a 1992 SC400 with a 2jzGTE . No more government emission or tests required. Everything basically on it , every wiring , interior and others have been replaced with parts from a 2000 SC300 . The only thing that remains a 1992 on the car is the shell. It needs a paint job too.

I don't even have to sell these cars in cash. If you have something I want or maybe interested in , I can take them as swap. Just let me know what you got , it doesn't have to be a vehicle....performance car related stuff , better . I just don't need anymore 5 SCs. I have already sold one of these 1 of 120 1997 SC300 5speed for $10k last month. And my goal now is have only two or three 2jzGTE SCs together with my 4 MKIVs and SC430. Realistically , one high hp manual and auto trans SCs are what I want to keep. The MKIVs are still going higher in prices so it just makes sense that it is the SCs I will have to let go.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_154845.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_154852.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_154902.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_154935.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_154427.jpg  

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_154433.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_154444.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_154452.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_155004.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_155012.jpg  

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_155033.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_155048.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_155051.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170804_155113.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 08-31-17 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 08:14 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb

hhmmm... maybe I will get someone on this forum who works in LA and regularly visits his family in FL. I will ask him to drive it to GA and just pay for all his expenses....hahaha. He already knows the situation on that SC430. KhanBB6 .. hint hint hint . Craig .. just kidding .
Haha! I am only just now seeing this post, Gerry! I know you need to get that SC430 Hypothetically it would have to work out with our schedules. I also do still need to drive my SC300 back to FL to swap in the 2JZGTE engine, so we're both in a situation of needing to get our cars back east, lol.

I am planning for that trip of my own but I can't do it right now. I'm also still picking up the last random parts I will need to have ready for the swap. Once I have my car in Florida I have to work very fast to finally revise the wiring harness, install it onto the GTE engine, bolt on the last few missing parts and hoses and remove the old engine and install the new one. And the TT fuel pump, and swapping over the A/C compressor and PS pump from the GE. And then break it in over 1000 local miles before any highway driving back west. Still an insane proposition but I have no workspace here in L.A. for an engine swap

I'm still monitoring the health of my original GE engine and it has occurred to me that if I can be prepared with the remaining parts it would be best to make that trip sooner rather than later. I'm due for another stock GE smog test next year to renew the registration so that's another thing unless I've got the entire GTE setup ready for a BAR certification. The only thing that would bother me is getting caught in winter or even icy road weather with a non-TRAC and LSD equipped car with summer tires.

Realistically and in terms of the cost and ordeal for you would it also be appealing to meet in L.A. and drive both cars back east at the same time? Then it would not be a drive alone at least. A set of handheld walkie radios with earpiece mics or just our cellphones could close the audio gap being in two different cars for days.

I'm thinking out loud off the top of my head and to be honest my own plans have been along the lines of "one stage at a time and then figure out the next stage (ie: travel, then wiring harness, then the engine swap, then make it run) when the time comes".

Right now as of September I can't consider any driving east but if we both have to make the same route, Gerry maybe we should look into it?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-01-17 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 03:46 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Craig - I am not really sure I have any available days for me to do the driving this year. The days I am available have all been set for some other commitments. I might have no choice but get it shipped.

I might not yet be able to do clean welds but am able to join together metals without any leaks . Being able to weld is a very useful skill. It saves you tons of money and allow you to do a lot of things on your car.

Like I am tired of scraping my 4" down pipe and midpipe on bumps and dips on the roads so decided it was time to hone my welding skills and tuck that 4" downpipe and midpipe high up. It was a success .. . I was able to raise up the bottom of the midpipe at least 3 inches which means I can really lower the car now just like Red Mamba II

When you are on the +1000rwhp range , you have no choice but to go 4" downpipe / midpipe . You need to get that engine to breath without restriction .

Right now this car has the HKS Super Dragger II exhaust ... so it is single 4" all the way to the rear. Now that I have tucked in the 4" down / mid pipe . I will install a dual 3" Magnaflow Exhaust next with a crossover to give me the same cross section area of a 4" exhaust. That would make the APTech rear bumper look better since the right exhaust cutout won't be empty.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170904_180927.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170904_180714.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170904_180728.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170904_180740.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170904_180755_001.jpg  

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170904_180910.jpg  

Last edited by gerrb; 09-04-17 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 07:40 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Today , I took out the 4" HKS Super Dragger II Cat back Exhaust and replacing it with a dual 3" Magnaflow. The splitter of the dual exhaust goes right now to a 3" so I will cut it and weld a 4" pipe with a 4" v-band so it mates with the 4" mid pipe. The equivalent output of a 4" exhaust is 2.1 x 3" exhaust so basically I will have same 4" exhaust but on a dual mode so the APTech right side exhaust cut out will be filled . Just like Red Mamba II it will look a lot better.
Attached Thumbnails 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170905_073039.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170905_073133.jpg   2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys-20170905_073123.jpg  
Old 09-05-17, 10:44 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Gerry, what kind of welder are you using to make those welds? And is your exhaust stainless?
Old 09-06-17, 05:04 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Hey Gerry, what kind of welder are you using to make those welds? And is your exhaust stainless?
Currently , I am using Craftsman MIG welder to learn, practice and do all these simple jobs . 4" down pipe and midpipe are stainless ... and the cat-back piping is aluminum coated steel.

Been advised to get a good Lincoln or Miller MIG welder once I have honed my skill .. very pricey though for a seldom used equipment on my end . But you get what you pay for I guess.
Old 09-06-17, 07:20 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

OK thanks. I was thinking about getting the gasless harbor freight flux welder just to try and get my feet wet a little. I know verrrrry little about welding, but I seen a youtube video of a guy welding 1/4" plate with it, so I was thinking it should be able to handle lots of things one might need to do on a car. Do you think that would work on stainless exhaust?
Old 09-07-17, 07:41 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I've tried one of those gas-less ones before to learn and the welds that resulted were pretty terrible and it would splatter everywhere.
spent more time cleaning the piece up than anything else and it still didn't look good. I would go for the gas type and a more quality welder personally.
Old 09-07-17, 06:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Craig - I am not really sure I have any available days for me to do the driving this year. The days I am available have all been set for some other commitments. I might have no choice but get it shipped.
Gerry, I understand. It was a long shot to see if it were possible for us to do. If it were not for my own SC needing to go east also I'd have taken driving your SC430 to you into serious consideration. It would be a nice, quick trip, certainly and good to see you

The new welding projects look great! You've been putting your time in to get some nice and clean welds That massive 4" exhaust pipe on your SC... wow! Needing that much flow to reach your four digit horsepower goals is no joke

As things are right now with the current hurricane situation it's looking like I might possibly make my drive out much sooner than I'd planned to. Getting over there prior to this weekend to help has proved non-workable but once it has passed I will be traveling there to help my family in the aftermath. Depending on just how much we have to deal with (and also how well my 2JZGTE engine on the stand and the rest of the binned parts survive) I may go there by car to get into that once everything else in and around the house has been put right again. There are many bigger considerations right now but I am hoping we make out okay with a weakened storm by that time (given its current rating) and not too much amiss. I know my family will be in a safe place nearby built of solid thick concrete and brick.

I think you will be fine up in south and north Georgia. Friends and family in south Florida and the islands to the south I am very concerned about but so far everyone I know in those areas has done their best to either leave or secure themselves and their homes well.
Old 09-08-17, 07:20 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I've tried one of those gas-less ones before to learn and the welds that resulted were pretty terrible and it would splatter everywhere.
spent more time cleaning the piece up than anything else and it still didn't look good. I would go for the gas type and a more quality welder personally.
OK thanks Ali, I guess I might just have to get something better then
Old 09-09-17, 04:25 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

@LoveSCs - if you will do a lot of welding , go with the better MIG welder right away as Ali said.

@KahnBB6 - yeah , the welding skill can come very handy. I still have to hone really my skill. I want to do aluminum welding too cause it cost so much to get things done. I just want the skill for my personal use so I save tons.

it might be good news for you and your family and the Eastern Side of FL after all since it looks like the hurricane had shifted to the west. Hope everyone will be safe. Property can be replaced but not one's life. I know we have tons of forum members from FL , GA , AL .

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys