Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 07:46 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

More progress of the build. I ordered a set of LS400 calipers, spacers, and extended studs, by the recommendation of Dan from Zen Motors. I got on the factory ones three times pretty hard, and now my steering wheel is shaking a bot... Warped rotors, I suppose. I never showed any pictures of the upgraded fuel lines either. My wife rode with me once and said, "My GOD, is the car always going to smell like this inside the car?" I thought about it for a bit, and I thought it was because of the open dump tube from the wastegate. I had it routed back into the exhaust to try and remedy the problem. Still no luck, so this is what I had to do to make her happy.

Bought her a new car, 2012 Toyota Camry, V6, NAV, leather, blah, blah, factory 18's rims.. Just need a drop in my book. This car even has paddle shifters... Traded in the old 2002 BMW 330i...

The -6 feed line, all steel braided fittings.

Installed the turbo timer and mounted the Greddy electronic boost controller. used Velcro to secure to glove box. Have the timer set for one minute. Just a piece of mind, want the turbo to last...

The wastegate dump tube.....

Lastly, the new brake setup for the front only for now... Rear will be later....

After this install, i am hoping I will be able to get the rims to clear them. Luckily the guy I bought these from has 2 sets of spacers, so I might end up using both of them, and stretching the front tire, to a 225/40/19 or something close.. We will see. Right now I cant find the locking lugnut tool for the life of me.
Old 09-05-12, 04:10 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
The DP was already made for a Precision turbo. I had to call Raceparts solutions to get the correct v band flange for the DP. I then had to ask a buddy to come over and measure the pieces and then weld on the new flange. This allowed the old dp to work with the new flange I bought ... the last thing i did was used dei wrap to cool more effectively ...
I bought the same flange from them, The welder who was gonna do it said that it would not work so i returned it...smh...Do you have a link to a pic of your downpipe?
Old 09-05-12, 04:33 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Mark - I guess we have to make our better half happy so we too can play with our toys huh ? ... lol... I had to find a house a stone throw away from her work place cause she was complaining of 26 traffic lights she had to go through going to work .. lol .... btw , nice camry ... good gas saver !!!! damn , I am even closer to Zen now .. 6.5 miles away ... but they are still not touching my Supra or SC..lol
Old 09-05-12, 04:44 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
I bought the same flange from them, The welder who was gonna do it said that it would not work so i returned it...smh...Do you have a link to a pic of your downpipe?
It should work , i don't why it wouldn't work because i am using the same stuff mine flares out to 4" from the turbo all the way back .
Old 09-05-12, 04:55 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
It should work , i don't why it wouldn't work because i am using the same stuff mine flares out to 4" from the turbo all the way back .
Did you use a reducer to get it to 3 inches or do you have a 4 inch dp?
Old 09-05-12, 04:55 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

So Mark how does the car feels overall? How does it runs? Any issues starting up? How do you like this Turbo?
If you had to do it all over again what you go this route ?
Old 09-05-12, 04:56 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Did you use a reducer to get it to 3 inches or do you have a 4 inch dp?
I am going to take a pics for you ! my DP is 4"
Old 09-05-12, 05:14 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Old 09-05-12, 05:43 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

I am going to take a pics for you ! my DP is 4"
Yea thats my delimma...i have a 3inch dp but obviously this turbo needs something bigger..
Old 09-05-12, 05:50 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

the outlet is 3.5" iirc on this Turbo
Old 09-05-12, 06:10 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

the outlet is 3.5" iirc on this Turbo
So its either a 3 inch or 4 inch dp...i have a few more options before i replace this dowmpipe..Hopefully i get a flange that would look clean enough to put on this dp..if not im gonna upgrade to a 4 inch.
Old 09-06-12, 05:54 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

So Mark how does the car feels overall? How does it runs? Any issues starting up? How do you like this Turbo?
If you had to do it all over again what you go this route ?
Seeing how this is my first build and third turbo'd car, I would say I did everything right. I like the turbo lag, due to me keeping my foot out of it so much. It runs great, never any hiccups or bucking, kicking, missing, etc, nothing! On the start ups, I have to turn the key to the on position for about three seconds, then start it. It starts up everytime, and I mean everytime. I am thinking due to the volume of fuel it needs to start with the increase in the fuel line to the -6. I really dont know, but it starts dead cold, everytime. The turbo sounds so mean, especially on high boost. It is thriving for more psi, but I dont have it tuned for nothing more than 93 octane. Maybe in the future I will want more. I am halfway there, with the turbo size, intercooler piping, feed for fuel, and injectors. I would need more pump, maybe dual TT or something similar. I would have gone this route again, but seeing how I have only driven Jay's SC300 with the 2JZGTE, I dont nothing else to compare it too. I do know that I cant get my tires to spin at all. They just hook up and go. I think I would like to be able to spin the tires from time to time, but in a race, I want the traction.

My curious question is, what if I filled the car up with E85 or race gas (110), can I turn the boost up above 21psi, with no ill side effects? Or does it need to be tuned with a few pulls on the dyno?
Old 09-06-12, 05:59 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

So its either a 3 inch or 4 inch dp...i have a few more options before i replace this dowmpipe..Hopefully i get a flange that would look clean enough to put on this dp..if not im gonna upgrade to a 4 inch.
I chose the 3 inch DP due to my HP gains that I was after. I have always read that the 4 inch DP is for more like 650 and above. I wanted alot less, so I chose the 3 inch. The welder had no problems cutting off the smaller flange for me and welding on the other fittings. He even welded up the 2 holes from the previous owner had in it. Remember I bought mine used, and the original flange wouldnt work for two reasons. One it wasnt big enough in size, and the other was that the bend wouldnt work for the BW turbo of mine. After I got it back and installed it, I didnt take any pictures before hand. He did a very good job on the bend and welding on the fittings to work (V band style).
Old 09-06-12, 06:41 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Mark,

Car will need to be retune for that type of fuel , you car will start and run on the C16 may even start on the E85, but you do not have enough fuel injectors and pumps for E85.

You CAN pour some E85 or C16 AND turn it up to 40 psi as long as you get tune for atleast 35 on that fuel.

So in your Case it's no you need to have the car tune on that fuel first.

i am glad you like it, enjoy it!
Old 09-06-12, 06:59 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Mark,

Car will need to be retune for that type of fuel , you car will start and run on the C16 may even start on the E85, but you do not have enough fuel injectors and pumps for E85.

You CAN pour some E85 or C16 AND turn it up to 40 psi as long as you get tune for atleast 35 on that fuel.

So in your Case it's no you need to have the car tune on that fuel first.

i am glad you like it, enjoy it!
Thanks man. I couldnt have done it without the help of some of the members on here. I think having close to 550 rwhp is enough for me for now. The only problem now is getting the darn thing to stop... These factory brakes suck and belong a tonka truck, IMO.

Quick Reply: 1992Lexus.. Complete build thread with pictures and links!