Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

HiPSI's NA-T / Build Thread - Billet 6265 in store

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 08:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have heard of people doing it with a holesaw, but I dont think its as good as the unibit/stepbit.
reason 1 is that there is a chance of the hole you cut out falling in the pan.
also, with the step bit, it sort of spirals the shavings back with the grease, and you can see everytime the bit goes up to the next diameter/step, and then you clean and regrease.
For greasing I would stick the entire bit (still on the drill) into a can of grease, I mean really thick on there, and then you drill for like 5-10 sec at a slow speed, then you wipe it all off with a towel, and redip and repeat.
flush oil from on top of valve cover, if you can get another hose flush oil from the drilled opening as well.
Old 12-02-11, 07:37 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have heard of people doing it with a holesaw, but I dont think its as good as the unibit/stepbit.
also, with the step bit, it sort of spirals the shavings back with the grease, and you can see everytime the bit goes up to the next diameter/step, and then you clean and regrease.
For greasing I would stick the entire bit (still on the drill) into a can of grease, I mean really thick on there, and then you drill for like 5-10 sec at a slow speed, then you wipe it all off with a towel, and redip and repeat.
flush oil from on top of valve cover, if you can get another hose flush oil from the drilled opening as well.
That does sound better the hole saw seemed messy when drilling out the hole for the iat bung. Did you use a 3/4" unibit? (
Old 12-05-11, 04:48 AM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey do any of you guys know the recommended tourque when switching to tt headgasket and arp studs?
Old 12-05-11, 05:22 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always do 85lbs, 25,55 then 85.
Old 12-19-11, 11:12 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Is a 3/4 unibit the right size?

I'm also going to pick up some studs from lowes to use to bolt the oil pan flange to the oil pan. I'm thinking about getting 2 studs sized at m8x1.25, drilling the pan and tapping it. What size is generally used for these mounting holes on the oil pan?
Old 12-19-11, 03:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

depends on the size line you are running and if you are tapping the center hole.
I think I used a 1/2 but I only have a 8an return line.

I would recommend not even bothering with the side holes at all.
that flange always leaks, i tried all kinds of gaskets and everything leaked when making left turns.
I ditched the flange and tapped the center hole and used a 3/8" to 8an adapter. you can also do 1/2 to 10 an or whatever fitting you can find.
I put the fitting in with thread sealant and it Hasn't leaked a drop since.
M8 is the right size for the 2 side holes, but you have been warned.
Old 12-19-11, 03:48 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Mine doesn't leak, but I used Toyota black fpig. That stuff is like concrete once its dry. I had to chisel my lower pan off last time I pulled it. Then I had to beat it back into shape so I could put it back on
Old 12-19-11, 03:56 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

depends on the size line you are running and if you are tapping the center hole.
I think I used a 1/2 but I only have a 8an return line.

I would recommend not even bothering with the side holes at all.
that flange always leaks, i tried all kinds of gaskets and everything leaked when making left turns.
I ditched the flange and tapped the center hole and used a 3/8" to 8an adapter. you can also do 1/2 to 10 an or whatever fitting you can find.
I put the fitting in with thread sealant and it Hasn't leaked a drop since.
M8 is the right size for the 2 side holes, but you have been warned.
I always get conflicting info on the oil pan. I was going to tap the pan like you did but I read that the aluminum is soft and doesn't seal well. I guess ill just open her up with the unibit and if I can't get the flange to seal ill pull it apart and tap it.
Old 12-19-11, 04:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

If you drill and tap properly, aluminum seals very well. That spot on the pan is thick enough.
You can always do one way and switch to the other, both will work.
Old 12-19-11, 04:23 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Even though my flange has not leaked, since you are single turbo, I would still tap the actual drain hole like Ali. A hole and thread as large as that drain should offer plenty of bite for a threaded fitting to seal up nicely.

It seems like it would be easier than messing with the two little annoying holes. And trust me, they are annoying to drill and tap. Unless you go all the way through the pan you will need a good bottom tap to get any decent thread depth.
Old 12-24-11, 09:43 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HiPSI
I always get conflicting info on the oil pan. I was going to tap the pan like you did but I read that the aluminum is soft and doesn't seal well. I guess ill just open her up with the unibit and if I can't get the flange to seal ill pull it apart and tap it.
im using the flange from beech performance that i purchased from dm but my car isnt running yet so idk if itll leak, i doubt it but it will be an easy fix. just make sure you clean that spot before you use any sealants or gaskets and im sure you should be fine but ali is speaking from experience so i wouldnt doubt it. im using a -10 fitting
Old 12-27-11, 02:06 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Sorry if this is an old question being asked to you again but why did you decide to go with divided housing and 1.00ar?

I just got my turbo today and went with undivided .81ar but for a long time I was contemplating if I should get the same size you chose. Let me know because I can still return It if anything.
Old 12-27-11, 03:40 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SOLID300
Sorry if this is an old question being asked to you again but why did you decide to go with divided housing and 1.00ar?

I just got my turbo today and went with undivided .81ar but for a long time I was contemplating if I should get the same size you chose. Let me know because I can still return It if anything.
The .82 open inlet turbine is comparable in size to the 1.00 divided due to the center of the turbine housing being metal and taking up space. My manifold was divided so I figured a divided turbine made sense.
Old 12-27-11, 04:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Got my intercooler pipes back from the welder. Had the Tial BOV flange welded on, my bung for the IAT sensor and another bung for the IAC valve to pull air through.

It's really close but doesn't hit the hood .

any tips on the wire tuck around the intake. looks very clean.
Old 12-27-11, 08:33 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

For the igniter wiring? Or that random wire for the IAT that I had laying out in the open lol? The igniter wires used some larger plastic black wire loom or shroud that you can buy at advance and then wrapped it in electrical tape. The wires leading to the COP I used some 1/4" shrink wrap for wiring and fed the wires through, then heated it tight with a heat gun so that it was tight against the wires. You can buy this rubber shrink wrap online and it comes in a big roll but it protects the wires really well and it allows you to feed any amount through it and then heat it shut or closed.

Quick Reply: HiPSI's NA-T / Build Thread - Billet 6265 in store