Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

Well, I am finally building the car I missed the most! (This is interesting...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 08:32 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I guess I can update a little bit here. I have now run the car for 200 miles, and it is doing great! I had a small coolant leak, but I took care of it, and bought more liquid gold (also known as Toyota Red Antifreeze), and did a coolant flush. The block of my car had a lot of head gasket sealant. It did a great job...sealing the cooling passages....FML...so all of that was broken up and now is all out! DON'T EVER EVER EVER use that stuff!!! I am really happy with the car. I feel like it is reliable again, and I haven't hesitated to take it anywhere. I cannot wait until I get my intercooler all hooked back up. I ordered all of the couplers along with a 4" coupler to get my intake on, too. I am having a lot of engine bay heat. An abnormal amount. Makes me wish I had heat wrapped the manifold. I am considering - in fact I am pretty positive I am going to heat wrap the down pipe, and put a heat blanket on the exhaust side of my turbo. The engine bay heat is so hot that it is heating up my passenger side fender. The car is obviously not overheating, but anyways, I figured I would post up my issue, and how I plan to resolve it.

I bought my AEM EMS tonight. I am stoked about that! I am going to have a good friend of mine tune it hopefully this weekend or early next week. It came with an AEM 5 bar map sensor, and an AEM IAT sensor. I am going to have to order the pig tails, but that is no big deal.
I am going to get the injectors on up there in duty cycle, probably around 80% or so. Whatever my tuner feels safe, and keep it there for a while, until I recoup some of my funds for injectors. My next step will be injectors and fuel setup. I will get his opinion on what I should run, and will end up doing pretty much whatever he says to do. I am a little bit ignorant when it comes to fuel setups.

I am really happy with the progress this car has seen. I am loving the car more and more every day. It makes me happy that I have finally stopped trading cars, and have settled down a bit with this one. I just want to be able to stomp on a Corvette again! That was so much fun!

Anyways- I will leave you with a crappy cellphone picture of my AEM
Old 04-21-12, 11:01 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

So I have a little bit of an update I suppose. I got some sort of intercooler pipe mocked up, just to see if the car would build/sustain boost. Well, it didn't. When I bought my wastegate, it was missing the spacer that seals the piston. I contacted the seller and he said he ran it like that, so I figured I would give it a shot. Anyways-long story short, the wastegate got stuck open the first time it hit boost, so the wastegate is currently off of the car. Since I had to take the downpipe and all off, too, I figured I would just let it sit until I get a new one. The new one should be here Tuesday, and I will have everything to hook up the intercooler pipes. That means when the wastegate gets here, I will put a bigger spring in it, and get the AEM up and going! I am planning to go tune it somewhere around 400whp on the 440cc injectors. After some fuel upgrades that will come later on I will try for 500whp through twin transmission coolers, and fans on each of them. I cannot wait until I get my wastegate in, so I can get this thing back on the road!
Old 04-28-12, 05:43 PM
Boosted1st
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentra95
Im on the same boat as you except im barely starting the Aristo 2j into my 93 Gs300. I was was wondering how you made the drive shaft work? Or what options do we have without cutting or welding?

Nice build BTW
I had a custom drive shaft built for it, but I know if you search the swap pages, they answer the drive shaft questions in the forum.
Old 04-28-12, 08:29 PM
luckyjzs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what part of tennesee? im parting my gs if you need something
Old 04-29-12, 09:40 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by luckyjzs
what part of tennesee? im parting my gs if you need something
I am in Franklin, TN. You familiar with the area? At the moment, the car is just sitting. I am going to do some work on her tomorrow. I feel like she is being neglected. lol.
Old 04-30-12, 08:38 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Got an update!!! GAH, I need to take a new picture of the engine bay...those most recent pictures look awful.

Basically, I did a few things, got a few things done, and did a lot of work

I got the intake to work, and hooked up the line that goes to the valve cover. I had to use a 4" 45* coupler, and I had Welding Unlimited weld up the two nipples that come off of the upper water neck.
I also got a turbo blanket from Godspeed, and it works well! I like the way it looks, and I think it is helping.
I also got my BOV welded on by Welding Unlimited. I was going to take it to Doug, but he was extremely busy, and I didn't want to bother him with such a small job, and I needed it done ASAP. Not his fault.
I also got ALL of my intercooler pipes figured out, and got them all installed.
Then is when hell happened haha. First, I bought a wastegate from someone on a forum, then it stuck open because it was missing the flange. So I took it off, and put a new wastegate on. That wastegate had a casting problem, and once again, got stuck open. I went back to the original wastegate, took it apart, and found out it was MUCH better quality than the 'new' one I had bought. I sanded down the shaft, and it was smooth as butter. So I took the 'new' one off, and installed the 'old' one. That wastegate is much better quality, and is working like a charm!

The car is so much fun. I was losing a lot of interest in it, and was honestly considering selling. I am now having a blast with the car. Every ounce of love is back. It's currently on 7psi with perfect AFR's. I want to get it up to ~10psi maybe a little bit more, and have some fun with it!

Anyways, I will post some new pics tomorrow, or something. I hate that the engine bay looks terrible in those pictures.
Old 05-01-12, 08:50 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I got some pictures! They aren't the best pictures, but a lot better than the other ones I have posted!

And I am going to just leave this here...nothing to do here!
Old 05-02-12, 08:39 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Got my coilovers on today. They are the Tien HA's. They are used and were in unknown condition, but after inspection and installation, they are in perfect condition. I am happy with the car right now, but it has GOT to go lower! The front needs to go 2" lower and the rear maybe .5"-1"

I am really happy with them. They are provide a nice stiff ride, but still comfortable!

Pictures!