Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

Well, I am finally building the car I missed the most! (This is interesting...)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 07:06 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only update I have is, I got the LS400 swap on, and installed and they didn't work. The calipers were messed up, so I decided to return it all, and got my money back. I think I am going to use the money I got back to go single, but i'm not really sure yet. I need to be saving money for a house....but maybe after I go single lol
Old 09-12-11, 08:24 PM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wouldn't happen to have any left over parts right? like the gs you got at the farm or whatever did you get rid of that or is it still just sitting there?
Old 10-10-11, 07:41 PM
chek128
Driver

carfreak, what part of Tenn?
Old 10-10-11, 07:43 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Franklin, TN. The other GS is being driven every once and a while and is for sale
Old 10-10-11, 07:55 PM
chek128
Driver

Oh ok, I use to live in Clarksville tn, and Smyrna and all over the state. Currently in WA. Nice build bro.
Old 10-15-11, 01:08 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice build thread so far...
Old 01-22-12, 07:38 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Alrighty, I guess it’s time for another BIG update!

I don't really have dates for these things, but anyways here is the order in which everything has gone.

I purchased a Supra water pump way back when I originally got my engine. After having it for a long time, the hydro pump starting whining and making some noise, so I finally decided to replace it with the water pump. I also had a parts GS and it had a clutch fan and all on it, so I took all of those parts off of it, and went on. Anyways, the water pump job was an ABSOLUTE nightmare. First, we couldn’t get the freaking crank pulley off. I had already taken everything out of the engine bay to get to it (radiator, ect.) so there was no way I was going to put it back together until it came off! Just a little information here, I tired 4 different snap on impact guns, at 175psi and didn't even BUDGE it. Long story short, I hooked up two straps to it, and had a friend tow me to a local mechanic shop. I asked them on the phone if they could get it off and they kinda blew me off like, yea we can get it off no problem. I got the car there and they tried their impact, a special tool that you take a sledge hammer to and that didn’t work either. Finally they got the torch out, heated it up to red hot, and it finally broke free. Then it was back to the house! We finally get the timing belt off and everything and then we went to put the water pump on and turns out I was sold a 2jzGE water pump. So now I still refused to put it all back together and parked it for a few days while Aaron at Drift motion got me an assembly. Can't thank that guy enough. So now, my car has a TT water pump with a new thermostat and gasket. Runs like a champ!

Then I drove the car for a while and came across a CRAZY deal over Christmas time. I bought a NICE Miata for $700. I drove that while I did a few things to the GS.
I took the GS to a local friend to get it fitted with a remote start and alarm. It’s getting cold out and I am a little bit of a woman when it comes to cold weather! While it was there my friend got the polish and polished my engine bay! The pipes and radiator look amazing.

I then took the car back and bought a cruise control cable for it so I could have cruise again. Worked out really well. So now the car has cruise control.

Next I decided it was time to sell the Miata and put some money into the GS!!! I sold the Miata for a whopping $2,300. Can you say Profit???!!! Anyways, I have now made quite a few purchases.

I bought new lift supports for the hood because mine were shot!
Haltech Platinum Sport 2000 Standalone ECU
AEM wideband
Suprastick (because I needed a way to control the automatic)
Prosport Mechanical Boost Gauge

So basically I bought a bunch of new parts. It’s like Christmas! I cannot wait to get all of the parts in and install them. So far I have the lift supports and the AEM in, and the lift supports are installed. So nice! Anyways I am really tired and I will be updating this more often. Sorry I have been neglecting!
Old 02-19-12, 05:33 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

So I suppose I can do somewhat of an update here. So I guess you can say my plans have changed a little bit. I was going for basically all power, but I am honestly happy with the power it has at the moment, and I want to update the appearance. I have ordered a couple parts for the car. First I ordered some LED bulbs for the gauge cluster. I got super white LED’s. I think it will look good with the red needles. We will see how well that turns out. I am kind of nervous about it, but I’m sure I can make something work. I also ordered a Toyota Aristo spoiler. I am extremely excited about getting it, and putting it on! It is already pearl white, so I do not have to worry about painting it. I love the look of GS300’s when they have the Aristo spoiler. Only thing I am slightly nervous about is having to drill into the body of the car for the studs. That will probably kill me. I also ordered some USDM TT Supra cams. They were $90 shipped, so I jumped on it. There is a debate between how much they help for Aristo engines. Some say 30whp some say 10whp. Any power upgrade will be nice. The car really falls kind of flat when it comes to the higher RPM’s so hopefully this will help. I am currently looking for some coilovers to pop up. I am trying my hardest to be patient and not over pay for coilovers. I have to buy some before going to Tail of the Dragon else I won’t have too much fun! Yesterday, I painted my Cam cover in dark purple metallic automotive paint. I think it came out fantastically. It’s better than the poo-poo green that was on it before! Next thing I am going to do is polish the intake pipes for the turbos. I think it will look good with the cam cover. It will also make the engine bay look a little nicer. I will do the valve covers as well, but not until I get the cams in, so I can do it all at one time. Anyways, I will leave you with some pictures of the cam cover. I will try and maintain this thread to keep it up to date.

Old 02-23-12, 01:27 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good.
Old 02-24-12, 11:35 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Alright, so I ordered more parts, and I got a couple parts put on....
First off, I got the Aristo Spoiler installed. It was pretty rough. I still have just a TINY bit of fixing to do on the drivers side. Not a big deal at all. I love the way it looks. It needs paint badly, but so does the whole car. It's coming, I promise. I am hoping by spring it will be repainted. That would be awesome. I ordered a greddy BCC and an SAFC2 that I will be tuning to ~20psi. I want to be right around 400whp. I also decided to get some chrome bolts from a local store for the cam cover. It really changes the appearance of the cam cover. It clashes with the metallic purple perfectly. I LOVE the purple by the way haha. I also ordered some cam gears from titan motorsports. I will be doing a big install with some detailed pictures. It will be a write up for TT USDM cams, BDL cam gears, and valve cover gaskets. It will be my first real "write up" I suppose. I also purchased a DEI CryO2 kit. I think it will really help with IAT's in summer. I got it all wired up, and the bottle is installed. I need to get updated pictures, because the kit is fully installed now! I also took all of the oxidation off of my charge pipes, so now they look almost new! I only used a wire wheel, and it came out great! Depending on the weather tomorrow, I may wash my car and see about getting some decent pictures. I leave you with some crappy pictures haha.

**Discalimer** the first couple pictures was before the spoiler was adjusted...so don't hate

Old 02-24-12, 11:50 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Considering tackleing the project of doing something with my front bumper to make it look better. I am going to get together with my dad, and between us two, we should be able to figure something out. We are pretty good problem solvers. Rough photoshop of what I am looking for in a finished result
Old 02-25-12, 07:25 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hahah i like how you finished up the bumper with a lil bit of PAINT hahahaha
wow nice build bro, only if i'd have that much time..
Old 02-25-12, 09:25 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neegroy
hahah i like how you finished up the bumper with a lil bit of PAINT hahahaha
wow nice build bro, only if i'd have that much time..
Haha, you like that? I was just trying to get a feel of what it would look like when it was done. I am going to work on it today. I can't wait to see what the finished product will look like.

I have spent a lot of time on this car, but it hasn't been all at once. I would say I have well over 100+ man hours into this car haha. It's really just a lot of fun.
Old 02-25-12, 08:39 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

So, I took the task of trying to fix my bumper, and after 7 hours, you will see what I am left with. Now for the disclaimer, the lower part is NOT smooth yet, but I really ran out of time, and did not want to run around without a bumper or with it bondo'd and not painted lol. The paint is cheap, so I am not too worried about it. So anyways, here is what I did. Please leave negative comments to yourself. This is the first time I have ever tried anything like this. I did it all on my own, and leard a lot from it!

First, I cut out a cardboard shape that I liked and started fiberglassing it.

And then I started on the otherside lol

Then I mocked it up on the car to see what it was going to look like, and proceeded to remove the front bumper.

And then the fun began.......oh wait, it wasn't fun at all. I bondo'd the whole bumper lol. Yes, it was a lot of bondo....

Then it was time for sanding, priming, more bondo, and more sanding. I am not going to caption every picture here until it gets to the end lol. You get the picture.

Then it was off to paint, and install. For what it is, it looks okay about 5 feet back. Otherwise you can see all of the imperfections. There are a lot of imperfections lol. Like I said I am going to go back and smooth it out.

So it sucked, it wasn't fun, and it isn't finished. I cant wait to show you guys what the finished product looks like. All in all it was a learning experience, and I also learned that you litterally need a whole day to do something like this haha. So anyways, like I said I want to make it clear that it is not finished but I think for what it is, it is okay....
Old 02-27-12, 07:36 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I got busy again today, I did some work on the car! I got my calipers in today, they are from a 98' LS400. The seller who is on the forum was AWESOME and packed them extremely well, and I am an extremely happy customer! Anyways, the brakes needed freshning up, that is for sure. I REALLY don't like painted calipers, UNLESS it is a true 4 piston or bigger. Slide calipers that are painted make me want to punch babies. I think the red brakes look good with the white car and black wheels. I had the hardest time working with this swap. It took me a few hours. Griding away didnt bother me, but I couldn't get the brakes to bleed for some reason. After it was all said and done, all of the pain was totaly worth it. I am going to invest in some SS lines, but for now the stock will have to do. I am extremely happy. New pads, new rotors, and I can heat soak them a little bit without violently shaking!

*please ignore the EXTREMELY dirty wheels. I am hard on the brakes (coming from 160mph back to 70 takes its toll on stock brakes, and it creates a lot of brake dust*

Stock crappy brakes....

Painting the calipers, and no this was not the final coat, it was the second of five.

And now for some DIRRRTY wheel pictures!

Better pictures to come tomorrow. Going to give her a good bath.

Quick Reply: Well, I am finally building the car I missed the most! (This is interesting...)