Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 06:11 AM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1uz miata, and its sc400 DD brother

Hey all, names Kevin.
I was a mamber here a few years ago when I was 1uz swapping an 85 celica/supra

well, life got in the way and that project left to a new home (never have seen it again )

Since then I have built a few more cars including getting this 99 miata in driving reliable condition

I had bought the miata with the intent to swap it one day and I remembered how impressed I was with the 1uz that and with my wife not wanting to learn how to drive a manual trans I decided an engine and trans swap from an sc400 would be ideal. To that end, I had a motorcycle accident about two years ago and my shoulder and back were injured and still give me issues. I spent all last summer taking a wrecked civic

and doing a full resto-mod (full performance suspension, body work like crazy total re-paint)

My mistake was I didnt anticipate a manual steering, manual trans civic would be so hard for me to drive....
Luckily I found some lad across state that had an sc400 up for trades so after alot of driving and what not the deal was struck, the sc400 was on the trailer and the civic was staying behind!

dont worrie, this sc is a little too clean to use as a donor... so basically the game plan is to have this as my daily driver, and find a wrecked or rotted sc400 to drive train swap the miata....

Im starting a build thread a little early so progress may be a little slow but come winter when the miata swap starts it should pick up nicely. I know alot of forums dont like two cars in one build thread so I apologise but I will try to make it as clear as possible by denoting what car is being worked on in the title...
Old 05-04-15, 06:19 AM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Default sc400

Ok, so here is what I am starting with on the sc400

As you can see she is a bit thread bear, clear coat is comming off the front bumper, the passingers door is wrinklie, and some one cut the stock springs.... terrably... each corner is a different height

Those things asside, she dosent appear to be burning anything however the power steering is leaking, the battery light is on (assuming alternator), the speedometer dosent work, the HVAC LCD is almost totally blacked out, and the interrior door panels are broken up pritty bad. I will document and keep up-to-date with the repairs but I will warn you right now, as this is a daily driver (most likely winter) it will be very few cosmetic repairs and focusing more on drivability.... thus why I didnt feel it warrented its own build thread.
Old 05-04-15, 08:44 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

You had me at 1UZ Miata.
Old 05-04-15, 09:46 AM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t2d2
You had me at 1UZ Miata.
Lol! I think you are the first person to like the idea; most people give me crap for not going LSx!

Well I went home at lunch, deturmined the alternator was charging (14.7v running with heater headlights and wipers going; so I tossed a plate on it "fixed" my speedometer (iPhone app)

And drove it to work.
Funny thing was guy at the gas station I stopped at jumped out of his car and started looking it over and asked what I want for it....
Made me feel good about my trade! Lol

Oh, also discovered ideler pully is bad and electric tilt dosent work on the steering wheel

EDIT: didn't feel like bumping the thread for such a small update.
I took a quick break at work and followed the DIY guid for tilt repair
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ng-repair.html
Sure enough the spur gear was pushed all the way into the housing

And two beefy washers later (had to use massive ones because work dosent stock metric)

It works perfect

Last edited by ghoul; 05-04-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 02:30 PM
Robgrob
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1UZ Miata - this should be good! Cant wait to see the result! I would love to have something like that myselfe one day..
Old 05-04-15, 03:49 PM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Robgrob
1UZ Miata - this should be good! Cant wait to see the result! I would love to have something like that myselfe one day..
The NB miata (like I have non flip up) is still rather expensive, but the flip up headlight miatas can be had for less than $800 around here (very rusty minimal interrior possibly running?)
The swap looks rather streight forward either modify the cross member or buy one of the tubular "v8" cross members.... If you want manual trans however that gets expensive.... Then again, the sc400 people's pioneered that whole ball of wax! Lol
Old 05-04-15, 06:57 PM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Default Sc400

Started diging into the cluster. Issues were half the lights didn't work, needle lights don't work, speedo works from time to time, OD light blinks like crazy....
Ok here is what I'm facing

I poped the lense off and instently got the feeling someone's been here before (nail polish on the needles)

So that establishes yes, the needle lights have been out for some time...
And I took off the back guard off and found this.... (Broken in half diode? In r19 slot)

I poked super lightly at it and it poped right off.... So.... Yeah... Time to send it to the pros eh?!
Old 05-05-15, 12:11 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Haha nice, this is a lot like my garage... Except the Miata is turbo and I now have a 1UZ Lexus, its so backwards lol..

Old 05-05-15, 05:36 AM
Robgrob
Rookie

Damn, the Lexus looks like a mountain next to that Miata!
Old 05-05-15, 06:30 AM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Damn, the Lexus looks like a mountain next to that Miata!
That's what I thought, then I got really exited because that power to weight ratio is gonna be great once its swapped!
Both look great btw kris
Old 05-05-15, 04:17 PM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Default More sc400 progress

Got off of work and started ripping into the sc400

Man that cup holder is awesome

Any way, pulled the door cards, window surrounds, cluster and radio/AC

I used some two part epoxy, plumbers tape and a bunch of itty bitty clamps to fix and re-enforce the door panels that could only be described as shattered!!
I will need more epoxy tomorrow to better secure the problem areas....

Lcd display for climate controles is on its way and I have been doing my homework on cluster repair... More to follow soon
Old 05-05-15, 11:50 PM
Robgrob
Rookie

Originally Posted by ghoul
Got off of work and started ripping into the sc400

Man that cup holder is awesome

Damn, you owe me 96$! I had no other choice but to buy a new cup holder on ebay now! There wont be no light beer in mine though
Old 05-06-15, 03:45 AM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Damn, you owe me 96$! I had no other choice but to buy a new cup holder on ebay now! There wont be no light beer in mine though
Don't get me wrong here, I don't mind fancy beer but I only drink it of some one else is buying or its in the $1 bin at the liquor store. I do just fine with my $22 case of bush light/pbr/black label what ever is handy. Drink it all day wake up just fine the next morning. However anything cheeper than that (Milwaukee best/natural ice or light/ miller) gives me massive brain pain.... And yes, miller may be more expensive but yeah it's definetly in the same legue in my mind...
Old 05-06-15, 04:13 PM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Started off with something light; I felt the cloth on the speaker grills was really dragging my ripped up broken interrior down so i poped them all off and hit them with some fabric paint

Now they really set off the ripped back seat!

I bought two more tubes of epoxy at lunch and really globed it onto the reinforcement straps; then re-installed everything after work. It is by no means perfect but I'm happy with it, arm rest feels firm, im confident in closing the door by pulling it, and there no longer is a massive void between the window switches and the door panel (I was very lucky to find those bits floating around inside the door!)

To put it into perspective; here is before

And here is the after

Both are action shots of me pulling on the armrest
Old 05-07-15, 08:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I like your positive attitude about the seats, looks like its coming along nice on the 400 front.
Def waiting for the miata 1uz build part though. what trans? shoehorn that motor in there!!

Quick Reply: 1uz miata, and its sc400 DD brother