Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 09:46 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
These are the MT ET Street SS 305/45/17. On a stock 9.5" wide TT wheel, which is pushing it I know. But I wanted a little taller sidewall than that 275/40, and my plan is to eventually widen these wheels to 10.5 or 11" which at that point a 305 or 315 would be an excellent fit.
Actually, I just bought a set of SS 305s; that's why I asked. So, now I know what to expect.

Thanks!
-scott
Old 06-15-17, 12:12 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Haha great choice! I can say they provide significantly better traction then my previous 275/45 Nittos. I'm sure it's both from the ET Street compound being stickier as well as the size difference. I used to spin in 3rd, now I hook 2nd.
Old 06-21-17, 08:54 AM
Halon
Racer

Just some small updates.

- Still moving forward with remote tunes. Vlad said the tune (AFR, Timing, Boost Solenoid type stuff) is looking very solid now. Just some very minor tweaks, but it's pretty solid at this point. So we're starting to look more at some of the "other/extra" features.

- So the two AEM 12pos switches I wired in for Boost and Trac control. We verified I wired them in correctly and AEM is seeing them correctly. So we've activated the boost switch. It starts out at the lowest boost setting (17psi which is roughly WG level). Then increments roughly ~2psi in each position up to I think 29psi is the current highest setting.

- We also verified the front ABS sensor is coming in clean. The rear one isn't for some reason so I need to look into that. I didn't think there was a polarity on these sensors, but I might flip the wires to see if by any chance polarity does matter. Without both working, we can't implement the traction control yet. But with the front one working what we can do is use that for a sort of boost by speed setup. In 1st gear I hook with just a very tiny amount of chirp/spin at the lowest boost setting. So we'll probably just stick with that setting through 1st gear speeds. 2nd gear it hooks decent at the 25psi setting, I have to do some more testing at 28psi, but 2nd gear speeds will probably end up somewhere around 25psi. Then no limit on 3rd gear speeds and above. And really with that in place, it makes the whole traction control piece just a little less important to me since this is sort of already helping me keep traction in check a little bit.

- I pre-ordered up the Grannas 8.8 rear diff kit. I'm going with the 1000hp axle option that retains the stock hubs. I purchased a diff from the local junkyard for $128 that I'll be getting built with a custom gear ratio and LSD. And hoping Grannas can simply make me a diff adapter that will allow me to just keep my current driveshaft. So I'll have my current 3.26 diff with Torsen LSD & Axles up for sale at some point here.

- I remade the cold side IC pipe. It was really cobbled together and was the source of a boost leak. It's been redone and is much better. Fixing these leaks has really made the car feel more responsive, but that could all just be in my head too lol.

That's about it for updates at the moment. I'm getting anxious to setup a dyno appt here soon as well to see where I'm actually at. But here's a screen shot from a 3rd gear log I took yesterday to give some sort of idea of where I'm at right now.
Attached Thumbnails Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-capture.jpg  

Last edited by Halon; 06-21-17 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-25-17, 08:09 PM
Halon
Racer

Some pics one of the locals took of my car from our Lexus/Toyota/Scion meet on Saturday.

Old 07-14-17, 03:20 PM
Halon
Racer

Had the day off, made a couple quick videos showing where the car is at today. Walk around video and a drive around video. Drive around video was at 23psi. I usually keep it at around that or 21psi for normal driving around, and only turn it up if need be.

Hopefully have some more footage for you next week as I hit the dyno on Monday to see how she does! All I'm hoping for is a number that starts with a 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmXJ...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L39...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-15-17, 02:59 PM
TacMedDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how a proper build thread operates. This SC is utterly insane.
Old 07-15-17, 09:37 PM
Halon
Racer

Sorry I know the sound blows. My wife lost our normal digital camera I usually use. So I had to use my Contour 2+ Action cam which has padding to protect the mic from water / wind noise. Best I could do til we either find our nice digital camera or get a new one.
Old 07-17-17, 01:52 PM
Halon
Racer

Dyno'd today. Rented the Dynojet at DBPerformance. Danny was nice enough to run the dyno and the car. Vlad was remotely connected to the Infinity and did all the tuning.

We started off at Wastegate boost (~20psi) and made ~590hp. Over the course of about 2hrs we were all in on this little 61mm (~29-30psi tapering off by redline of 7500). Ignition was starting to break up once we went all in. I brought a spare set of plugs which Danny was nice enough to gap to .020 for me. That took care of the issue and the car was able to make a few clean pulls at max boost.

Ended up at 709HP / 665TQ. Extremely happy with those results as my goal has always been somewhere in the 600's. Here's a couple photos and some videos. Sorry about the sound, they have huge exhaust fans in there which make a lot of backround noise.

Bit thanks to everyone who has helped me with this. I'd try to list all your names but it's impossible to remember everyone. But you all know who you are, thanks a million for all of the help!!! I'm super stoked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6opbFkSsc2w&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzaNfSt0qfg&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Halon; 07-17-17 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 10:10 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Congrats on the numbers! Nice to see the torque closely following hp.

BTW, how did it launch on DRs in 11.60 vid? You have plenty of mph for lower ETs. Just curious if you've figured out how to launch it.

Again nice numbers!

Thanks,
​​​​​​​-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 07-18-17 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 11:08 AM
Halon
Racer

Hey thanks, appreciate the positive reply especially coming from someone like you.

Those track videos were from 2015. I was on Nitto NT05R's , 275/40/17. Same tires I was spinning in 3rd on the street at these most recent power levels. These new MT's are remarkably better, on the street at least. So I hope they work way better on the track also. I'm going to try and attend the big track event we have up here at the track in Brainerd called MAP Proving Grounds. They already had the spring one so I'm hoping to make it to the fall one and get a few passes in.

I also didn't have anything really for launch control back in those 2015 videos either, so I was literally just reving up to I don't remember, maybe like 4k (so like 1/4 throttle maybe lol). Putting the car in 1st, pulling my e-brake, letting off the clutch pedal just enough that I felt it barely start to grab, e-brake holding me put, enough to just try and preload things a little. Then when I got the light, I just slammed the gas and let off the e-brake. It was not a great way to launch lol, but I was just trying to work with what I had, and figuring out wtf to do with a RWD car in general as I came from an AWD platform where you just let off the clutch and you were gone, it was so easy.

This new setup now, we just programmed in boost by gear now so that 1st gear will be at WG boost which these tires are holding fine, and then the rest of the gears will be at whatever I have my boost switch selected to (so ~30psi if I'm on kill). The tires seems to be hooking 2nd with just a very tiny amount of spin. And by tiny I mean barely anything, not enough that I want to pull power yet because it's still hooking damn good. Also I'm halfway done wiring in my clutch switch (the OEM cruise control one) to Infinity as well. Once I have that wired in, we'll be able to add in 2-step (with very mild anti-lag) which should be a much nicer way to launch then my lame arrangement previously. And we'll also add in NLTS as well to hopefully help reduce any sort of losses I see while shifting.

I expect it'll trap very high 130's, which with say a 1.4-1.5 60ft would probably net a high 9. However I am quite certain that I personally will not cut a 60ft like that in the this car any day soon. I'll be happy with a 1.8-.1.9 which should put me into the 10's easily, and I will be very happy with that. I'll get kicked off the track with a 10 anyway, a 9 might get me a perma-ban lol.
Old 07-18-17, 03:44 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

I was hoping you had the DRs figured out because launching on radials is a lot harder on parts. So, be careful if you decide to dump the clutch with the 305 MTs. I would highly recommend a clutch release valve unless you go to bias ply slicks.

Thanks,
​​​​​​​-scott
Old 07-18-17, 08:18 PM
Halon
Racer

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
I was hoping you had the DRs figured out because launching on radials is a lot harder on parts. So, be careful if you decide to dump the clutch with the 305 MTs. I would highly recommend a clutch release valve unless you go to bias ply slicks.

Thanks,
-scott
Yeah I totally understand and slicks would be better. But I'm going to give these a try anyway. And I don't ever just dump the clutch. I usually slip it a tiny bit just to try and spare the driveline from a hard sudden shock. Which is probably why I'll never cut crazy low 60' times.

Maybe someday I'll try real slicks, but for now I'll just be hard headed and stick with the DR's lol.
Old 07-19-17, 05:46 AM
MLeopard
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice results. Looking forward to when I finally get going down the NA-T path.
Old 07-19-17, 08:33 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Congrats on the numbers man and for getting everything dialed in. Great feeling I bet to get it on the road!
Old 07-20-17, 07:02 AM
Halon
Racer

Thanks for the replies everyone! Drove it to work today. It's hard to convey on the internet, but my absolute favorite part of this car is how 'cruise-able' it is. It still rides so comfortable, and cruising on the highway it's literally quiet as stock. So you just cruise in quiet comfort, & with the sub in the back you get to just jam out to music! Super happy that I was able to stick to my goal of keeping the car as comfy and Lexus-like as possible, yet still be pretty darn quick. And nobody even looks at me twice on the road as it still looks pretty ordinary to 99% of people out there. Super happy with where I'm at on this build!

Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)