Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 10:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

So clean with no catch can or abs, all came together nicely. for the fusebox cover you can sand it to get all the scratches out and hit it with a fresh coat of flat black, I did that once on a replacement Gerrb sent me and it looked brand new (I had cut a hole in my original one for some reason).
Old 02-23-17, 11:39 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah might be a good idea. What kind of paint did you use? I feel like just about everything I spray paint it's just so fragile and scratches / peels off so easy. Best stuff I've used so far is Rustoleum Gloss Black with Rustoleum Primer under it (what I used on my diff). However I preffer more of a matte finish for the engine bay.
Old 02-23-17, 12:09 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

So we are starting to turn the boost up from the WG pressure (12psi) we were running before. Did a pull / log at lunch today and sent it in. I quick looked it over for myself. Looks like 24psi at about 4800rpm. Then boost gradually tapers down to 20psi as we reach a nice conservative redline of 7300rpm.

Car finally feels like it woke up too! I'm paying no attention to the HP / TQ curves on this graph, but it does look like we're starting to touch 70lb/min airflow out of this little 61mm (and still at lower boost levels!). Looks like he has the AFR pretty safe at 11.0 and timing is still pretty conservative (10*-11* most of the time in boost, but peaking at 15* at redline).

Anyhow, the fun part is finally underway!

Old 02-28-17, 08:15 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Small update. New tune loaded with increased boost controller duty cycle, but it made no difference to the tapering boost issue. So we decided to check out the WG. I thought I had 15psi worth of springs in there (10 & 5 springs), but I cracked it open and apparently I only had the 10psi spring in there. Dumb mistake I have a total of 4 springs for this WG (5 inner, 7 outer, 10 outer, 11 middle). I can make combos for 15, 16, 18, 21psi. Going to talk to Vlad but will likely change it to 16 or 18, then see if the boost curve improves. But I'm sort of glad I found SOMETHING because it wasn't making sense. Now maybe it does make sense. So I'll install the new combo and hopefully see a much improved boost curve in the next couple days.

Side note, I have some FID 1600 Hi-Z injectors on the way. I'll be swapping out these 2150's for the 1600's since they are more appropriately sized for my setup. You can see I'm only at 41% duty cycle right now. They're just way bigger than what I need, so they will be up for sale soon if anyone needs them. They are FIC 2150's, recently cleaned and flowed by Cleveland Injector Hospital just a couple months ago, and they'll come with pigtail harnesses. Hit me up if you're interested!
Old 03-06-17, 07:10 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Small update. I have an 18psi spring setup in the WG now. Boost comes on much quicker and harder now. Couldn't even do a 3rd gear log as the wheels spin. Have done about 3 logs / tune tweaks now and we're up to 25psi now. I haven't done a pull or log on that setting yet so we'll see how it goes here soon though hopefully.

Also my new injectors arrived. FID 1600 High-z. My current FIC 2150's are just overkill for my needs, so I decided to "downgrade". But for me it's an upgrade as they will just be better sized for anything I'll ever be doing. So these will be going in over the next few weeks, and my FIC's will be up for sale soon!

Old 03-14-17, 06:51 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

DMV sent me a present today Custom Collector plates. No more annual renewal, no more front plate!

Old 03-17-17, 07:47 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Well just some small updates, I ran into a couple minor issues.

Wednesday I went to take the car around the block, and it felt ridiculously slow and I couldn't rev over 4500rpm. Vlad remoted in and told me the Wideband sensor died and the ECU went into a fail-safe limp mode because of it. Ran to O'Reilly and grabbed a new Bosch 17018 sensor (I NEED TO SAVE THIS P/N SOMEWHERE!!!) as that's a readily available LSU 4.2 sensor with the AEM style connector. Threw that in and bam limp mode fixed, no more 4500rpm limit!

However car was still super slow feeling. Turns out one of my IC pipes blew off. I guess I'm so used to DSM's with MAS sensors where you blow the pipe and the car runs like dog **** and you know right away. This car not having a MAS, it still started, idled, and drove great, so took me awhile to realize it lol. I removed the pipe and made sure there was no rocks or road debris. Got it all back together and she's running like a top again!

I went to get it aligned on Thursday. They found that my front control arm bushings were shot so they weren't even going to attempt working on the front. They did do the rears though to the specs I asked for. Overall it went good I guess because we identified an issue. So I've ordered a pair of new Supra front lower control arms with bushings, and also some new Moog upper control arms. So I'll put those in over the next couple weeks and hopefully the front will be good to go for another 100k miles. I'll bring it back and get the alignment redone at that point.

Today a friend and I took it to the Auto Show and did a couple pulls. The new tune has us getting all the way up to 27psi by around 5200rpm, but gradually tapering to 22psi by redline. Holds better than it used to but still interesting how it tapers. I was sitting here staring at the log. I realized that AEM is showing that I'm flowing 70lb/min by 6500rpm and basically holding that until redline. This comp wheel is rated at 72lb/min. So being that I'm seeing 70lb/min, I'm wondering if I might just actually be about maxed out on this setup. My brain is so used to DSM stuff where I was pushing 35psi on a similar turbo to hit these kinda flow values, with 2 more cylinders now maybe I'm hitting those same amounts at less boost and this turbo will never hold 30psi to redline?

Anyway, car is feeling excellent! 3rd gear holds from a roll if the tires have had a chance to warm up. Here's a screen shot of my 3rd gear pull log.

Old 03-18-17, 08:08 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome progress! How much do you think you are putting down at 27psi?
Old 03-18-17, 10:59 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure. If I were to guess, I'd guess some where in the 600's right now.

I spoke with Geoff @ full race. I know I have a couple small boost leaks. He think that's likely the cause of the boost dropping. I'm going to try and fix those best I can over the next couple weeks.
Old 03-21-17, 12:21 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Since the car has been running great, we went ahead and made a dyno rental reservation at a local shop for the morning of 4/10 for just a couple hours. Shop will run the dyno/car, and Vlad will be remoting into the car / laptop and doing the tuning remotely. He did say it's not fully necessary to dyno as the street tune is already very much on point. He actually tuned another locals Supra here who is a good friend of mine who has yet to get on a dyno, just ran with the street tune and car ran great all year, and ran mid-10's at the track last year on his first visit to a track ever. But well I want some numbers, lol!! And this will give us time to make any final tweaks on the dyno and see how the car measurably responds, and hopefully just maximize the setup as much as we can. Pretty pumped for that day to come!!

I do have a small tick list to get through before that day though. I'm going to plumb the BCS slightly different to hopefully help with the boost taper.. Also try to get some of my boost leaks fixed. Also will be swapping in the new 1600cc injectors as well. And lastly will be installing a new catch can setup. So not a bad little list, should easily be able to get those done over the next 3 weeks.
Old 03-25-17, 11:48 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Gotta love unplanned expenses. New OEM Supra front lower control arms. And new Moog front upper control arms. Should help it ride better and let me get the front aligned better now.

Old 03-27-17, 07:24 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Had our spring opener meet this Sunday. Was a little cold out, very slight occasional mist but not bad overall. Got a couple nice shots of the car:

Then leaving the meet, in 2nd I gave it a little too much and got a little sideways and hit the damn curb. Feel like an idiot. Drag radials, cold weather, slight mist, and me still getting used to the power it has = dumb mistake. So my wheel is hurt and i popped a tire. Also the fans had shut off for whatever reason so while we let it sit and idle coolant started coming out of the overflow. That's when we realised the fans didn't turn on. Shut off the car, the BTI gauge showed 219* when I finally looked at it. So... Now gotta figure out what to do about wheels, and going to investigate the coolant issue, hoping I didn't pop the head gasket. I've post-poned my dyno appt so I can take my time and make sure everything is OK before I stap her on. Sucks, but could be worse. Doing my best to get back on the horse here and fix it and keep moving forward. I figure it could be worse, it's not like it caught fire the day before trying for 6's at TX2K right? I'll be fine, and I'll get it fixed, not so bad really.

Old 03-27-17, 08:01 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

All part of the game buddy. At times there will be mishaps like that wheel and tire. You can grind that and get it smooth again. Hope you didn't pop that head gasket .

- is that the poly-urethane lip ? Is the bottom of the lip in line with the side skirt bottom .. in a side view picture ? or is it lower ? Hope you get what I mean.
Old 03-27-17, 08:12 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

You know what it was, the place I setup my dyno appt at is a big Mustang shop. So it was predetermined by a higher power already at that point that I needed to hit a curb!

As for the photo, I'll send you a couple photos that I think might be what you're asking about. But yes the rear lip is the Rideskinz poly Fujin Replica they were selling on here a few years back. The front lip is a Wise Fiberglass style lip. Even it is fine other than some scuffing on the bottom of it. Guess it's a good thing my car isn't slammed and is still 4x4 style on my OEM supra suspension, lol!
Old 03-27-17, 08:16 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Also, forgot to say thank you to POORSUPRA. You can kinda see it in that engine bay shot, but he made me a catch can just like the one in his LS swapped SC. Got it mounted and installed, so no more breathers right off the valve covers. While that setup worked, once I started getting into the mid 20psi range, I started to notice a very fine oil mist around the filters So decided it was time for a catch can! Worked fine for lower boost from what I can tell, but once you start to turn it up definitely something to look for.

Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)