Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Old 06-17-14, 08:39 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice! Car sounds great. How do you like the 6spd so far?
Old 06-17-14, 08:52 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

The 6-spd is definitely growing on me. Despite the non-ideal shifter arrangement, I'm actually used to it now and it's great. The extra leverage probably plays a small part in making the shifting smoother. It doesn't even feel like that long of a throw anymore. So far absolutely loving everything about it. I still need to drain the cheapo off the shelf fluid and get the Amsoil in there. Maybe do that today.

Also, I've been driving around with my stereo half together, so I started putting that back together yesterday. 10" sub and amp are back in the trunk. RF speakers in the front doors, and am just about done putting new tweeters in the stock tweeter location. Will be really nice to have some decent sounding music again!
Old 06-18-14, 10:12 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Swapped out the off the shelf trans fluid for this Amsoil cocktail.

Also stereo is back up and running 100%. So nice to have a decent sounding stereo again! Something I do need to figure out is the 3rd brake light that's on the spoiler isn't working. It's an LED one off ebay, wondering if maybe it was just DOA.
Old 06-18-14, 12:37 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow looks wonderful and sounds awesome
Old 06-23-14, 09:08 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Small update. Made a list of misc crap I still need to do, trying to make my way through my tick list before scheduling my next dyno session. I replaced all the spark plugs, new spark plug boots, and ordered up some more spare NGK plugs. I swapped in a new oil filter just so I know it's a nice fresh one in there. All new lug nuts installed since some of them were mismatched and not the right kind for these wheels. I'm ordering up an electronic fuel pressure gauge since I want to be able to keep an eye on it in the car to ensure it's never way off. I got my wideband fixed so it's logging in Megasquirt again. Got the interior fan working properly again and also adjusted the windshield wiper arms as they always hit the hood (don't want them messing up the new paint). Just waiting to get the last section of the exhaust finished up, and I think I'll be just about ready to try the dyno again.

Old 07-02-14, 04:34 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Ordered up a Prosport Fuel Pressure gauge that matches my boost and WB gauges from MAPerformance, local shop. Should be here in a week or so, that way I can keep an eye on it from inside the car. Need to figure out where to mount it, don't think I can fit a 3rd where I have the other two.

Also buttoned up the rest of the exhaust. I was going for a subtle clean look, and as quiet as possible. I think we nailed it! So it's basically a 3" turbo back w/ a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator in the middle, and a Vibrant Oval Muffler in the rear, with a 4" rounded edge/angle cut tip. The sound is louder than stock but still very quiet. On the highway with the windows down I don't even hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fbx...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-02-14, 06:26 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks really clean and simple! Was it originally a supra cat-back?
Old 07-02-14, 07:13 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

It was an SC300 cat-back. If you go back a few pages you'll probably see it. I bought it off someone on here.
Old 07-29-14, 10:39 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Small update. I got to the point where I was ready to start doing some street pulls to make sure everythings good to go prior to making another dyno appointment. Well while doing so I started hearing a buzzing sound under WOT, sounds like it's coming from behind me. Got home jacked up the car, don't see anything obviously loose or anything. Drove it around some more, still has that same noise.

Jacked it back up, decided to drain the fluid out of the diff to see if it looked funny at all. Here's what it looked like:

It's hard to see, but there's a lot of very fine metallic shavings in there, the magnetic drain plug was saturated with it as well. This was after around 1000-1500 miles or so of fairly easy driving with Amsoil SVT fulid. I've seen some shavings in diffs before, especially if they're new getting broken in. But this wasn't a brand new diff, and was very few miles.

So I just dropped the diff out of the car, will be brining it in to the shop who did the LSD install for me to look it over to see what's going on inside of there. In the meantime I ordered up another diff that should be here this week to slap in and see if the noise goes away. Guess I'll have a spare diff now for times like this or if I ever grenade one at the track

Last edited by Halon; 07-29-14 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-29-14, 01:20 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Small update. I got to the point where I was ready to start doing some street pulls to make sure everythings good to go prior to making another dyno appointment. Well while doing so I started hearing a buzzing sound under WOT, sounds like it's coming from behind me. Got home jacked up the car, don't see anything obviously loose or anything. Drove it around some more, still has that same noise.

Jacked it back up, decided to drain the fluid out of the diff to see if it looked funny at all. Here's what it looked like:

It's hard to see, but there's a lot of very fine metallic shavings in there, the magnetic drain plug was saturated with it as well. This was after around 1000-1500 miles or so of fairly easy driving with Amsoil SVT fulid. I've seen some shavings in diffs before, especially if they're new getting broken in. But this wasn't a brand new diff, and was very few miles.

So I just dropped the diff out of the car, will be brining it in to the shop who did the LSD install for me to look it over to see what's going on inside of there. In the meantime I ordered up another diff that should be here this week to slap in and see if the noise goes away. Guess I'll have a spare diff now for times like this or if I ever grenade one at the track
That's definitely fishy man. Well yeah you'll have a spare now, I'd go as far as maybe even welding it lol, screw LSD!
Old 07-29-14, 01:45 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Ha, I still want to be able to park this thing at the bar without skidding my tires man
Old 07-29-14, 02:35 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

So in the mean time while I'm waiting for the new diff, decided to work on the rear brakes. The 16" FD rims I picked up as my poor mans drag setup didn't clear the calipers by a nut hair. So I ground a couple spots down on the calipers ever so slightly. Then primed and painted them to match the fronts I did a couple years ago. Here's how the sit now drying. Then they'll get the Supra stickers and some coats of clear, and then back on the car!

Attached Thumbnails Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-img_1499.jpg   Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-img_1501.jpg  
Old 07-29-14, 05:24 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Stickers on and 5 coats of clear. All done, just gunna let em dry and throw em on in the next couple days when I have some time

Old 07-30-14, 01:05 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Very cool, are the FD wheels those chrome 5 spokers? I always liked when they ran their spare tire wheel as a skinny, looked awesome lol
Old 07-30-14, 03:30 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Rear Calipers back on.

The new diff showed up. I slapped a coat of primer then a coat of black on it to clean it up. Will try to get it mounted up in there over the next couple days.

Also just a quick snap of the FD wheels that will become my poor man drag wheel setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)