Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

project:Soarer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-12, 07:11 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
there's a pretty big difference between a .89 turbine housing and a 1.15+.

Not when all the compressor wheels in that family are choked at 52 lbs/min there's not.

25-50 hp difference max.

Maybe on crazy billet extended map wheels, but not on the Holsets.

I also have that t3 Manifold, and it clocks it inward toward the valve cover a touch. So much for quality control!
Old 02-28-12, 09:46 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Not when all the compressor wheels in that family are choked at 52 lbs/min there's not.

25-50 hp difference max.

Maybe on crazy billet extended map wheels, but not on the Holsets.

I also have that t3 Manifold, and it clocks it inward toward the valve cover a touch. So much for quality control!

i was talking about response and spool time, not overall difference in HP, and when the turbine housing is badly mismatched (like on this setup) the compressor wheel and housing doesnt affect the response much.

if you're saying his compressor housing and CHRA is similar to yours, but his turbine housing is .2+ larger, he will make about the same power (slightly more due to less restriction in the turbine housing) and have a way worse power band. and there won't be a 50hp difference... glad we got that figured out.
Old 02-28-12, 10:01 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Yikes!

Not a Holset owner, no facts to reinforce your reply, what do we do now?

"Way" worse sounds like an opinion. Like how much worse? 500rpm? 5000rpm?

I especially like how you claim that Wheel size and Housing A/R doesn't effect the response "Much".

Anyways, Most Holset 35's make similar horsepower.

The "Response" you are talking about is a moot point, they are all Journal Bearing CHRA's.

We are talking about 50hp and 500-750rpm difference here.

You guys act like it's a Garrett GTX vs. BW S-series comparison.

IF that were true, then I would be more apt to accept the "Apples to Oranges" thinking.

I mean I have a Holset, and have 100's of hours of Dyno tuning under my belt. I'm pretty sure this info is accurate.

Besides, this is only T3 A/R's. T4 Frame A/R, yes there would be a huge difference but don't forget it's a divided T3.

Glad we figured that out.

Last edited by spoolxexo; 02-28-12 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-28-12, 10:16 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ I know exactly where you are coming from!! sometimes moving to a bigger Ar doesn't always mean laggy that is very true.. but i would love to see that Dyno sheet when it's all set and done.

BTw the is a thread on here about the GTX4202R VS the S376 non billet with way bigger AR.

You should check it, i am not impress with the GTX Turbos

Op what's the hold up? come let's get it done
Old 02-28-12, 12:06 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Not a Holset owner, no facts to reinforce your reply, what do we do now?
you must not like it when people question your turbo knowledge or something. i wasn't trying to offend you. also, i've done hundreds of hours of tuning myself (though probably only 20-30 hours on the dyno). i will reply with facts now.

facts: i had a terribly mis-matched t04b v1/v2 turbo with a 1.15 a/r divided p-trim turbine housing on my rx7 that would hit full boost (15 psi) in 4th gear at about 5000 rpms. i took the exact same chra and compressor housing and installed a .84 divided t4 p-trim turbine housing on it, and it would hit full boost (15 psi)in 4th gear at about 3800 rpms. and the t04b v1/v2 is about 50 CFM, which similar to your beloved holset turbo (feel free to get angry and google that). i had about a 10whp (peak) difference, and the boost came on 1200rpms sooner in 4th gear. 3rd gear, 2nd gear, and 1st gear were obviously considerably worse due to the length of time you're in each gear while accelerating. i couldn't even hit full boost in 1st gear, barely in 2nd gear.

I especially like how you claim that Wheel size and Housing A/R doesn't effect the response "Much".
i'm not sure what you mean by this. i was talking about the housing a/r not affecting the power much (once it's already too big and not much of a restriction to begin with). it definitely affects the response...

i think you missed my point: you said your turbo is similar to his, but with a .89 turbine housing (.2+ a/r smaller than OPs); when you take two of the same CHRA and compressor housing, slap a way-too-big turbine housing on one, which one do you think is going to have worse response and make similar power? in my experience, that difference in response was ~1200rpms in 4th gear (at 15 psi) and minimal peak power loss on the dyno.
feel free to respond with details about the holset turbos you've dyno'd and how turbine housing a/r's don't matter with holset turbos. make sure you post facts though, instead of getting angry and posting quotations and italics.

Last edited by cartmill; 02-28-12 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 12:57 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cartmill
*Incredibly long winded Post about Reading comprehension.*
I wasn't offended, take it easy.

T3 A/R. Holset Turbo.

T3 A/R. Holset Turbo.

One more time for the people, T3 A/R. Holset Turbo. Not a Garrett, Not a MHI, not T4 Turbine...

So it's not that big of deal or difference. At all.

Carry on.

EDIT: I see you are used to rotary setups. I get it now.
Old 02-28-12, 02:03 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't offended, take it easy.

T3 A/R. Holset Turbo.

T3 A/R. Holset Turbo.

One more time for the people, T3 A/R. Holset Turbo. Not a Garrett, Not a MHI, not T4 Turbine...

So it's not that big of deal or difference. At all.

Carry on.

EDIT: I see you are used to rotary setups. I get it now.
i guess we'll just have to wait for his setup to get finished and hit the dyno. you all can compare dyno graphs of all those holset turbo 1jz's you've tuned!

HEY NOW. i havent had a rotary in several years now but not so coincidentally, a stock port 13B flows about the same exhaust volume as a 1jz so they use similar turbos
Old 03-05-12, 09:47 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

update update update!! been a busy week i don't have enough time in the day or arms on my body.. but first!!!!

i got my wastegate mounted and i had this gasket(on the left). do i need it??

Old 03-05-12, 09:53 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i'd rather use that crush gasket on the left. you may need to use both. i'm not really sure.

i do know though to not torque those gaskets down until you make sure they're in the right spot (facing the correct way, etc.) because you're not supposed to reuse them after they crush.
Old 03-05-12, 10:01 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so thanks to the folks at ebay almost is good enough.. the holes in my t3-t4 adapter (almost) matched up perfectly. but i had to make them (perfectly) match up thanks to mr drill and dremel.

i was going to initially use the stock turbos so i drilled out the oil return port to fit the larger stock screws. well that fell through so i had to make more adjustments.

drilled out the an adapter to make fit. had this laying around from my rb swap and was suprised it fit.

and done.

was kinda nervous because when i tapped and drilled the holes for the bolts the hole went straight through to the oil pan on each one. so put some fipk on the back of the mounting bolt holes..
Old 03-05-12, 10:03 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so next up since i have a garden hose at my disposal i finally cleaned out the engine bay. it was clean for it's condition when i got it before the engine pull. but sitting for 2 years and spilling some fluid in it does take it's toll..

so dirty mouth.

clean it up!!
Old 03-05-12, 10:10 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

got a wire brush for my dremel and cleaned up the carbon on the hotside of this baby.

then it was a test mockup on how much cleareance i would have between the exhaust and tranny.

looks good to me..

after much debate and speculation i decided to finally go with the front oil feed.

Old 03-05-12, 10:18 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Default I Need a Bridge!!

like the title states i need a bridge. brooklyn is sold already.

combine the wg dp. had to eyeball and mark to get it just right.

picked this up because wrapping it up keeps you safe.

also picked this up from the dollar store.

was going to use the metal wire to tie up my turbo sleve but this did not workout.
Old 03-05-12, 10:23 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use the metal gasket. that crush gasket will blow out and u know those wastegates aren't easily accessible once in the engine bay
Old 03-05-12, 10:27 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

well got my bridge!!

my hole appears to be too small. but i hope it's enough to work properly.

and pre-wrap mock up

heres my fleabay 1jz mani. no i had those braces done after i brought it(awesome welder austin).

using these mani's you need to cut off the 2 lower center exhaust mani studs to get it to fit.

Quick Reply: project:Soarer