Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

sm1ke's 08 IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 09:25 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default sm1ke's 08 IS250 AWD

Hi, I've been on the forums for a while, posting here and there. Just realized that I don't have one of these threads, so I figured I'd copy and paste my "build thread" from a local forum to CL.

A pic from August 2012, when I first bought it.

Over the winter, I added a few mods here and there - IS300 ball shift ****, RHO-plate tow hook license plate mount, LED side mirror covers (not wired up), eBay ISF-style tails, OEM-style trunk lip and roof spoiler. I also purchased a set of wheels and tires (19" SSR Werfen GT-03 staggered on 235/35 fronts and 275/30 rears) and a set of BC Racing BR-type coilovers with upgraded Swift springs (12k front, 10k rear). Here's a pic of the coils:

Spring of 2013, with 16" winter wheels and tires on and at stock height.

This was taken the day after my coils and wheels were installed. Ride height needed to be tweaked and alignment hadn't been done yet. Also installed a pair of LED turn signal bulbs in my tails. Haven't done the fronts because I'm lazy to take off the front bumper, lol.

I also bought a used replica F-Sport grille and ordered a brand new Kazz grille. I also had some Hella Supertones wired in, slapped on an SSR front license plate frame, and ordered some SSR lugs and a wheel-locking kit. The Kazz grille, wheel locks and SSR lugs are still in their packaging since the wheels came with lugs and I got lazy to install the Kazz grille :P

Also had some minor audio work done. Custom ported sub box with a 12" Infinity Kappa fitted, powered by a Kicker CX 600.1 amp, wired into the factory non-ML non-NAV system using an AudioControl LC2i LOC.

Sub box:

All installed and wired up:

Found a single banged up Nismo LMGT4 with tire. Going to use this as a full size spare

And here it is, as of this past summer:

Since then I've purchased SPC front camber-adjustable balljoints and Megan Racing rear camber-adjustable arms, a set of Garson neck pads, and a used Greddy SE axleback exhaust system.

Neck pads look like these:

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Old 01-22-14, 10:26 AM
UTLonghorn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a great thread! I have the exact same car you do, looking forward to updates if you make any
Old 01-22-14, 01:03 PM
Sfrt
Driver

Finally found your build thread! Excellent work and thanks again for the reco on the BCs with Swifts.
Love the wheels!
Old 01-23-14, 08:13 PM
avinad
Rookie

Nice setup. How is the ride with the swift springs?
Old 01-24-14, 10:50 PM
Ben250
Driver School Candidate

Beautiful car. Love the wheels. The sub is very classy and the box fitment looks great.
Old 01-25-14, 05:17 PM
BlkSheep83
6th Gear

How long have you had the BCR coilovers on? Is this your DD? Have any suggestions or criticisms about the coilovers? I'm likely getting these in the next couple months and going to 19s as well, so any advice would be great.
Old 01-26-14, 10:47 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I love the coilovers. Perfect for a DD, which is perfect because this is my only car. The spring rates are just a tiny bit too stiff comfort wise, but its perfect for when I decide to go lower. I think part of the benefit of going to Swift springs is that they have fewer coils in the spring, so you're able to go lower without changing the way the springs behave, compared to the springs that come with the coils. I don't know how much of a difference it actually makes since I'm not that low and I don't track my car, that's just what I was told lol. Dampers ride great, very very smooth. Overall definitely worth the money to me.. These ride better than a custom set I had made by AMR for my Accord.

19s are perfect for the car IMO. Ride isn't as rough as 20s, and you can get a little lower without having to do any fender mods.

In the spring, I'll be relocating the front bumper tabs and rolling the rear fenders, then installing the camber kits and lowering the car a little more. Alignment to correct the camber to 0 in the rear and maybe -1 up front. This all depends on whether or not the wheels sell. Car could also use a repaint, so I may get a new paint job or just vinyl wrap it with a subtle color.
Old 02-14-14, 01:42 PM
sm1ke
Racer

So, bit of an update.. I sold off my SSRs Took a decent hit on them, but I'm glad they went to a local gentleman with a clean SC400.

Heading down to one of the local shops after work today to buy my first set of brand new wheels. They're just Varrstoens, but I need to shift priorities towards the bigger picture. This will likely be the last big change to the car for a while. I'll post pics when I get them on in the springtime.
Old 02-17-14, 05:25 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Could you tell me where you got the sub box
Old 02-17-14, 06:17 PM
sm1ke
Racer

From eBay seller customboxman.
Old 02-18-14, 03:19 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

thanks for your help
Old 02-18-14, 04:50 PM
daileycon
Lead Lap

I've gotta ask about those horns! Were they hard to install? Why do I only see them on Subaru's?
Old 02-19-14, 05:41 AM
sm1ke
Racer

I didn't install them myself, I had a local tuner shop do it for me because I didn't want to mess with the wiring. But from what I hear it's supposed to be really easy. Not sure why they're only on Subarus, I got them because the OEM horns are really quiet and I was sick of getting cut off by people who couldn't hear me honking.
Old 02-20-14, 02:47 PM
BigCman
Rookie

Car is looking good man. Audio looks clean and simple! I like it. So I take it with the SSR setup you had you didn't have to do any fender mods? I'm going 19x8.5+30 up front and 19x10+38 in the rear with 235s/265s and was wondering if I'll have any issue. I already know i have to relocate bumper tabs cause they rub on dips in the road already with my conservative offset 18" wheels.
Old 02-21-14, 10:08 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by BigCman
Car is looking good man. Audio looks clean and simple! I like it. So I take it with the SSR setup you had you didn't have to do any fender mods? I'm going 19x8.5+30 up front and 19x10+38 in the rear with 235s/265s and was wondering if I'll have any issue. I already know i have to relocate bumper tabs cause they rub on dips in the road already with my conservative offset 18" wheels.
Thanks! Yeah the SSR setup I didn't do any fender mods because of the natural camber. I did rub through the outer edge of the fender liner and I would scrape the bumper tab every now and then on big dips. If you're as low as me, you'd definitely need to at least shave down the tab a bit and prepare to bend back the fender liners, maybe even roll the fronts.

Quick Reply: sm1ke's 08 IS250 AWD