Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

ProjectGS#2: NA-T Build in 24 hours.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 06:17 AM
tegrab18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeff thanks gain for more on our discussion. i will have to try to find some literature on the fuel cut im talking about but i like the 150 fuel cut you were talking about lol. Also good point on the 4 speed trans but i know with me when you got boost you always want more and everything factory on the car just really doesnt do justice anymore. Im sure you can agree with the 100%. Otherwise what your saying (which i should have read the whole thread) with the kits being 10% legal in just say the 50 states then yes. I will have to agree with your kit. I wish i lived a lil bit closer to you to mess around a lil bit more with the cars.
Old 09-04-10, 12:00 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by YviE
Hi Jeff, thanks for the explanation. I mixed up the OBDII plus testing and emissions testing. I find it kind of funny they check the plug for any errors, but skip the emissions test... In France, they do not do any visual checks. They lift the hood to check the chassis number but that's it. They also check emissions with a sniffer.

As for the cat, you could opt for a metallic cat. Wouldn't that hold up better on extended full throttle?
Well, that's the whole purpose of the OBDII system. It is is a self diagnosing system. The testing facility assumes that the sensors are all in proper working order. If everything is working properly as it should, then the car is operating within proper emissions specifications if the computer does not throw any code. Most states here only do OBDII emissions testing with a simple plug in test to check for error codes, and there are no visual or sniffer inspections.

Certain states or cities with much more stringent emissions regulations require a sniffer in the tailpipe along with the plug in test. In these cases, of course a car with O2 simulators will pass the plug in test but definitely not the sniffer if you don't have a cat. You will lose a little power from having a cat in the pipe, but that's a small price to pay to stay fully legal. Also it's a small drop in the bucket when you have over 300rwhp(5hp loss w/cat) or 425rwhp(10hp loss w/cat) with Stage II.

Also, usually the metallic cats are not California OBDII compliant. They are high bypass catalytic converters(more exhaust gas is bypassed through the cat vs what is catalyzed). Yes it can withstand more heat and abuse, but there is a downside. It is only enough to pass loose emissions standards, but usually not enough to pass the more stringent ones unless you buy a really expensive metallic cat that is rated for OBDII emissions. I mean I can weld on whatever cat you want, but I'm just saying that if you use the cat I specified then it will be more likely to pass the sniffer compared to using a metallic cat. Or you can run without cats and find a shop that will pass you lol. Either way, the main point is that this kit will not throw any CEL whether if you have a cat on the car or not.

Really, it's all up to you

Last edited by JeffTsai; 09-04-10 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 11:37 PM
808d-no
Driver

I'm interested in the stage II kit...great work!
Old 09-15-10, 10:07 AM
flexspeed
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates?
Old 10-05-10, 02:41 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

Actually I know a shop that can pass my car. :P I'd rather have a cat though, because I don't like the smell of exhaust gasses when you're at a stop...

So how's the development of the kit coming along?
Old 10-05-10, 08:14 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

It's been done. Just doing reliability testing at this point.
Old 10-05-10, 08:47 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed
Old 10-18-10, 08:15 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's been done. Just doing reliability testing at this point.
Awesome build! I wish it was easier to get hold of a 5-6spd tranny for a decent price.

With one of your kits installed, what do you think about driving the car in automanual? (2GS-up/down shift buttons on the steering wheel) I hate automatic transmissions with a passion.
Old 10-20-10, 02:32 AM
jjawaya
Driver School Candidate

AWESOME!!!!! i wish i could afford something like this. if you need a tester in hawaii with the tropical climate and humidity lmk i only have a small drop.
Old 10-20-10, 02:34 AM
4drferio

nice work man
Old 11-12-10, 06:54 AM
duckJAI
Driver

With your stage 1/2, how will it perform in cold weather?

I live in Canada so it gets pretty cold in the winter time, around -30 C

Would this turbo setup still be reliable in such frigid temperatures?

I'm interested in stage 1/2 but worried about reliability in the winter.
Old 01-08-11, 07:40 AM
arpham
Lead Lap

Bump! Happy new year, jeff. How's the R&D going for the kits?
Old 01-08-11, 08:28 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

So that new Lambo you got ..... Are you secretly doing a 2jz Lambo
Old 01-08-11, 01:15 PM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
For those of you wondering, yes I'm working on developing a turbo kit for this car. I still need to do some more testing and research, so I have not announced anything official yet. I'm waiting on a few things in line to be completed and I will become a vendor here on CL. Most of the things I'll be offering are hard to find items that you probably won't find anywhere or stuff that just doesn't exist for this car. My goal is to make a bolt on kit with all electronics + pre-tuned for the GS300 that will not set off any check engine lights and will still pass plug in OBD2 testing.

I'll need a few extra guinea pigs in the future
I'll be a gs400 guinea pig if you want to make another kit
Old 01-08-11, 03:54 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arpham
Bump! Happy new year, jeff. How's the R&D going for the kits?
Still testing reliability. I've been flogging the hell out of the car all the time to do the testing. So far it hasn't had a single hiccup, it runs just like a factory boosted car.

Originally Posted by handoverfi
So that new Lambo you got ..... Are you secretly doing a 2jz Lambo
It's actually a R&D car. For the sole purpose of developing a twin turbo kit

Originally Posted by iGOTlexy
I'll be a gs400 guinea pig if you want to make another kit
Sorry I'm most likely going to be moving onto a different platform soon, so I won't be making much more stuff for these cars in the future.

Quick Reply: ProjectGS#2: NA-T Build in 24 hours.