Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Sc400 cd009 build

Old 09-27-15, 11:40 PM
broburns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 cd009 build

The time has finally come gentlemen. I've been trying to sell the trans for a while now since money started to get tight, but been having a hard time trying to sell it. So I was thinking, and maybe it's a sign, maybe that trans is meant to be in my car (don't burst my bubble, that's how I'm rationalizing it ). So I've decided to move forward with the swap, but it's going to be done a little bit different from most. Rather than dropping $500+ on a 1.5 Ft ring of metal, I decided I'm going to cut and weld the flange onto the trans. Cut both flanges and weld the 1uz flange onto the CD009 bellhousing. Why? Because to me, this seems like the proper way to do it rather than mess with silly adapters and sketchy flywheel setups, plus it'll save me precious length for the shifter. Apparently I'm also cheap, and this way should be much cheaper. How much cheaper? Not sure, I talked to a weld shop monthes ago and he said he couldn't give me an estimate unless he had the stuff in front of him. This was also at the time I planned to take a hacksaw to the bellhousings and pray. Thankfully, I came to my senses and realized a machine shop could throw it on a lathe and cut it precisely. Going to call some local shops tommarow and fill them in on what's going down and see if I can get a price, Hopefully I can get it welded in house and get the total in the $300 for bellhousing work and the differential flange and pilot bearing adapters.

Moving on, I'm going with an aluminum drive shaft, been trying to decide whether a 1piece or just the front shaft made. Leaning more 1piece since I might save $50 doing just the front shaft and then I could say I have a custom lightweight DS . Will be using the s13 clutch pedal, 3vze flywheel, Mr2 pressure plate and 300zx clutch. Still thinking about the speedometer issue, cops don't fool around here so not having it is not an option. Most likely going to wire in a splitter into the ABS sensors and run a signal converter, but whenever I talk to the DS shop I'm going to see if it would be possible to put a stock Speedo wheel somewhere onto the DS so I could run the OEM sensor. I doubt it's possible, but no harm in asking.

That's what I got so far, picked up a bunch of overtime shifts at work this month to pay for the swap but I'm aiming to start and finish the project by the end of October. I don't have a garage so I'm doing the work at my parents house, problem is they moved a few states away. So as soon as there house here sells I'm going to have no more space to do the work, store the parts, and no access to tools. Hopefully the house doesn't sell before I finish or I'll be screwed, So 1 month from today is the goal! I'll be updating thread as progress progresses with plenty of pics

Last edited by broburns; 09-30-15 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 09:07 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

I'm a believer in more then 1 way to skin a cat, and cutting the bellhousing off, and welding another one on will probably work if it is done correctly. I would have a trans shop, or someone who knows a good deal about the trans take a look at it and see that it keeps the clutch in the correct position. Just because someone can weld it doesn't mean it will work.
If the clutch will work, and the spacing is good, then go for it.

But saving some money upfront may not be the cheapest way long term. Once you modify the trans you will really have a difficult time selling it if it doesn't end up working, or you change your mind down the road. You would then be selling it to someone who is trying to do your same build.
Food for thought.
Hope it lines up, and works great!
Old 09-29-15, 04:07 PM
broburns
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I still need to shop around for shops, the place I want to Take it to is the most reputable machine shop in the area. I'm not sure if they do TIG welding, but I'm going to have them cut just the engine flange off on a CNC lathe and put some dowels on so they line up flawless. With the flanges precisely cut and dowel rods on it shouldn't be a problem for a trans or welding shop to finish.

I've thought about the resale issue and the way I see it the CD009 will be the final stop for my car. I'd take it over a v160 any day and I'd sell the car before I went back auto. If somewhere down the road my car turns into a built 1000hp TT track beast and I blow up the trans, I don't think getting a new one welded up will be much an issue . The main reason I wanted to go this route is because it just seems like the proper way to do the swap. To me, having 5 different adapter pieces, and a flywheel bolted to a piece that's bolted to the flexplate just doesn't seem safe. I know plenty of people have done it without problem but knowing my luck I'll get a piece made the day the machinist came in drunk and be the first one on the forums to get his legs cut off.

Anyways next time I have off in the daytime is Thursday, so I'll find the shop then and post up with the details.
Old 09-29-15, 05:20 PM
broburns
Driver School Candidate

Well it just dawned on me that the 350s bellhousing flange is probably bigger than the 1uz's. Does anyone happen to have the dimmensions of the 1uz bellhousing at the flange?
Old 10-05-15, 10:43 AM
carsmypnis
Driver

U know know that u bring this up, you reminded me of what my boss did about 15 years ago in his sunbeam alpine(the car that was turned into the shelby dropping a 302 in) he had a 4 speed manual, and wanted better gearing and 5speed. Anyways he took the stock bellhousing and cut it in a lathe from the tranny side, then just placed aluminum plate and welded in and drilled mountin holes
Old 10-05-15, 02:33 PM
broburns
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carsmypnis
U know know that u bring this up, you reminded me of what my boss did about 15 years ago in his sunbeam alpine(the car that was turned into the shelby dropping a 302 in) he had a 4 speed manual, and wanted better gearing and 5speed. Anyways he took the stock bellhousing and cut it in a lathe from the tranny side, then just placed aluminum plate and welded in and drilled mountin holes
That sounds like a sweet car man. I was thinking a few days ago and realized that welding on some aluminum plate and drilling the holes would be much more efficient then sourcing an old bellhousing and cutting it.
Old 10-08-15, 10:02 PM
broburns
Driver School Candidate

So a few days ago my wife decided to put in a mortgage application, and today we got our pre-approval letter in. So (un?)fortunately all my funds now have to towards the down payment for a house. The project will have to wait, but come tax season games on.
Old 10-10-15, 11:15 PM
jbrandon
Rookie

This is exactly what I did with my 2JZ. Even did a custom hydro throwout bearing and upgraded to a 3/4 bore clutch master. Twin disk clutch pack with custom flywheel.Runs great, smooth shifts!
It was a bit expensive after all of the add ons.

Old 10-11-15, 04:21 AM
broburns
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jbrandon
This is exactly what I did with my 2JZ. Even did a custom hydro throwout bearing and upgraded to a 3/4 bore clutch master. Twin disk clutch pack with custom flywheel.Runs great, smooth shifts!
It was a bit expensive after all of the add ons.

That looks real nice and clean. Did you cut the bellhousing in half rather than at the Flange due to size difference, and was it professionally done?
Old 10-11-15, 11:46 AM
jbrandon
Rookie

Originally Posted by broburns
That looks real nice and clean. Did you cut the bellhousing in half rather than at the Flange due to size difference, and was it professionally done?
Yes they were both milled down at a shop, but i did all of the measurements at home. I put a 1/4" aluminum plate in between the two cases. Had to grind down the input shaft, and then it was welded together in an upright position mounted to a mockup engine.

I don't have any pics with the plate and trans mounted before welding. Needed a custom input shaft bearing as well. When i get some time I would be willing to share information on cost and measurements.
Old 10-11-15, 08:41 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that looks clean, i want to hear it running, you don't have any dreaded rattling at idle right?
Old 10-11-15, 08:46 PM
jbrandon
Rookie

Originally Posted by estomax
damn that looks clean, i want to hear it running, you don't have any dreaded rattling at idle right?
Nope. I am flying back to get it out of storage in a few weeks and I will get a video then!
Old 10-12-15, 12:06 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by broburns
So a few days ago my wife decided to put in a mortgage application, and today we got our pre-approval letter in. So (un?)fortunately all my funds now have to towards the down payment for a house. The project will have to wait, but come tax season games on.
Congrats man, that's a great investment and hopefully, you'll have your own garage to work in now.
Old 10-12-15, 09:47 PM
broburns
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Congrats man, that's a great investment and hopefully, you'll have your own garage to work in now.
Thanks man, and deffinately. That's actually one of my main requirements, either has to have a good size garage or enough yard to build a good size garage
Old 01-30-16, 11:54 AM
broburns
Driver School Candidate

Tax season! Hopefully I'll start gathering the rest of the missing pieces here in a few weeks, but we'll have to see... The wife's crapmobile Lincoln is finally kicking the bucket, so I'm going to have to get her something else. Planning to get her a late 2nd Gen Gs. So this project really depends on whether I buy ther a car with cash or finance it, which will depend on the price. Regardless, going to be moving forward until that happens.

Last edited by broburns; 02-06-16 at 12:11 PM.