Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 05:08 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
wow. nice. 4-2-1 design is so much nicer for torque then a 4-1.

hey scott what are the specs on the valve springs and cams. im curious how much seat and full lift kelford uses on their stuff.

do they actually make their own springs or do they design and outsource to a big manufacturer like ferrea?
Valve springs are Kelfords, wheather or not if they actually make them or outsource I dont know. They are what they recomended with the cams.
83lbs@33mm is all the specs they provided.

cams specs (not including Intake/exhaust valve Open and close degrees)
Intake-
.385" lift (net valve lift with clearance .375")
Advertised duration 262
Duration @ .050" lift 215

Exhaust-
.385" lift (net valve lift with clearance .375")
Advertised duration 270
Duration @ .050" lift 222
Old 12-10-08, 11:44 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the 83lb @ 33mm is the seat pressure. we can figure out the actual k(spring constant) value of the spring. what is the free length of the spring prior to installation...like right our of the box?

to find the k value of the spring take the "free length"-"seated lenght(33mm)= you will have a number in mm for change in length. convert to inches.

the spring equation is F=kx. the F=83lb. x is your change in length. solve that equation for k and you will have a number. i think that number will be in the upper 100's range.
Old 12-14-08, 08:43 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the 83lb @ 33mm is the seat pressure. we can figure out the actual k(spring constant) value of the spring. what is the free length of the spring prior to installation...like right our of the box?

to find the k value of the spring take the "free length"-"seated lenght(33mm)= you will have a number in mm for change in length. convert to inches.

the spring equation is F=kx. the F=83lb. x is your change in length. solve that equation for k and you will have a number. i think that number will be in the upper 100's range.
Sorry but it looks like the free length is not in the cards. All the springs are allready installed and I returned the borrowed Valve Master tool so they are not coming off.
Old 12-14-08, 02:21 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

nice scott. btw you just gave away more progress report on the car

so the springs are it? cams too? im sure the list is long but what do you have left to buy and/or install?
Old 12-14-08, 04:09 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I still have to get my Prius lifters and throw the cams in. Been taking apart the car. Still to much to do to start making a list.
Old 12-14-08, 08:49 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the 85 MM throttle body from Scott?
Old 12-15-08, 04:04 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SpinAll4
What is the 85 MM throttle body from Scott?
It's a Nissan Q45 Throttle body, Everyone says that they are a 90mm infact search eBay and you will see them advertised a a 90mm but that the outside dia. Inside they measure 85mm and the inside dimension is what matters.
Old 12-15-08, 09:44 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
It's a Nissan Q45 Throttle body, Everyone says that they are a 90mm infact search eBay and you will see them advertised a a 90mm but that the outside dia. Inside they measure 85mm and the inside dimension is what matters.
ditto. everyone and their mother says 90mm but they dont know lol.

as always, in for more updates and pics
Old 12-29-08, 11:07 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

OK, Now you have all seen the headers I am thinking about a ceramic coating. They are really nice looking being polished stainless but you cant see that much of them once they are installed. So, That being said, Should I coat them or not?

Anyone know the specific gains of coating the headers verses leaving them raw stainless?
Old 12-29-08, 11:09 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

OK, Now you have all seen the headers I am thinking about a ceramic coating. They are really nice looking being polished stainless but you cant see that much of them once they are installed. So, That being said, Should I coat them or not?

Anyone know the specific gains of coating the headers verses leaving them raw stainless?
I don't think there'll be any hp gain for coating. But 1 big gain is the heat elimination..
Old 12-29-08, 11:15 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I just found this on the internet. The coating company that posted this was saying about 8HP but I am not sure I buy into that.
"Coating will normally boost power when applied to headers for two reasons. First, the coating promotes denser, more potent fuel/air charges by insulating the engine bay from exhaust heat. At the same time, it accelerates the pulsed-vacuum effect on “tuned” headers, resulting in more effective scavenging of cylinders. The increased velocity of exhaust gases produced by higher exit inertia not only clears each cylinder more quickly; it also draws in the next fuel/air charge more efficiently."
Old 12-29-08, 12:32 PM
Punky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mind me asking where you bought the EMS at or is it just a sc300 GE with a PNP and how much did it cost?
Old 12-29-08, 12:40 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Punky
Do you mind me asking where you bought the EMS at or is it just a sc300 GE with a PNP and how much did it cost?
Its a Supra TT unit modified for a V8. This Modification is done by Mitch Pederson. I bought it used on Supra forums and sent it to Mitch to be modded. You can find them used for around $1100-$1400 on SF then have it modified. I will be Flying Mitch to Kansas for the tuning as well, being stuck in the middle of the US sucks when it comes to tuners, shops and dyno's.
Old 12-29-08, 06:06 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that most of the gain comes from reducing under hood heat. Plus maybe a small amount from better flow from the gasses staying hotter.

Anything you can do to control under hood heat on a forced induction car is a plus in my book.
Old 12-31-08, 04:50 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a Supra TT unit modified for a V8. This Modification is done by Mitch Pederson. I bought it used on Supra forums and sent it to Mitch to be modded. You can find them used for around $1100-$1400 on SF then have it modified. I will be Flying Mitch to Kansas for the tuning as well, being stuck in the middle of the US sucks when it comes to tuners, shops and dyno's.
How freakin' pimp is that.

I'm flying my tuning guy out. LOL.

Hey, ugh, I'll tune your car too. hahah.

AWESOME build. This thing should sound so beast when it's done! Goodluck on your build.

Quick Reply: Project: 97 6-speed, SC400 supercharged 4.7L V8