Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

LS400 TWIN/SINGLE TURBO Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 03:02 AM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS400 TWIN/SINGLE TURBO Project

hey guys im wondering if anyone on here could give me advice on going about this kinda project i read a huge article on lextreme.com on a guy that did it. said his twin turbo 91 ls was pushin almost 500rwhp which is insane. anyways i havent been able to find a single turbo kit for a ls anywhere im looking for one for a 91 ls400. also does the brembo big brake kit for a 92 ls4 fit on a 91ls4 since i cant seem to find the kit for a 91 anywhere. if you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Heres the article too: http://www.lextreme.com/tt.html
Old 04-04-07, 06:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

hey, welcome to CL.

please search on a topic before posting a new thread. there is NO READY MADE KIT for a turbocharger on the 1UZ engine. lextreme's kit was 100% custom made although he may be able to sell u a set of manifolds if hes got them left over. your best bet for this would be on HIS forum site, www.lextreme.com/forums.

the brembo kit should fit but id call brembo just to make sure.
Old 04-04-07, 09:53 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome.

There are no ready-made forced induction kits for US-spec cars. Beside from some of the purely custom turbo projects, there are Eaton M90 supercharger kits available in Australia. A very small handful of folks here in the US are buying "semi-kits" from Australia and modding them to work for our US-spec 1UZs. This is the route I will most likely be taking--not as much ultimate RWHP as a turbo, but much simpler install, and makes the 4.0L feel like a larger V-8 with zero lag.
Old 04-04-07, 01:00 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

ok cool, yea id really like to turbo it but it looks like it would be just way to hard, where could i find the eaton M90 kits?
Old 04-04-07, 01:09 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im pretty sure lextreme talked about a vortec supercharger kit made specifically for the 1uz if you "fish" around that site some more. I remember its only $5 grand.
Old 04-04-07, 01:11 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

i did see it for 5 grand but he says hes no longer carrying it and trying to read through the list of parts needed is waayyyy to hard to make sure i get everything.
Old 04-04-07, 01:53 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let everybody know if you find a suitable application. I initially wanted to build my LS into a 500+ RWHP car but after hitting brick wall after brick wall it is now on hold. Here are a couple sites:

http://www.mrsupercharger.com/Lexus,...20systems.html
http://www.bulletcars.com
Old 04-04-07, 01:55 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Oops forgot one that shows a killer supercharged GS400:

http://www.swiftracing.com/video/pics.htm
Old 04-04-07, 02:42 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

i found a supercharger http://www.bulletcars.com/products-s...er-system.html its 7,000 before shipping if you get the fitted version or 6,000 for the non fitted. they also have a budget one for all you guys kinda that are strapped for cash like i am. but id wait and just save till you can get the 9lb boost one in the link above.
Old 04-04-07, 02:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

keep in mind that for those of you with higher mileage engines getting the motor built or just a cleaner lower mileage motor is strongly recco'd.

also, remember that with most supercharger kits you can keep the PS and AC, something u CANT do with most of the turbo setups.
Old 04-04-07, 03:01 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man~~
That link with the tt project... I am speechless.
That is a lot of love and passion to DIY such project.
I see a Lex hero there .
Old 04-04-07, 03:05 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

yes defiently a plus though right now my AC doesnt work and i dont want to pay to have it recharged since its the older freon with the CFCS that are now banned so it is very pricey to get it recharged. but power steering is defiently a plus.
Old 04-04-07, 03:51 PM
mac6694
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's another plus for those who care...most of the SC kits out there can be fitted underneath your stock hood. Can you say sleeper? No turbo 'woosh' or big hood hiding a monster engine and blower...just your stock-looking Lex
Old 04-04-07, 04:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

actually depending on the kit u use (mainly on intake manifold/blower combo) your going to have to cut ur hood and put a scoop in.

some of the bigger S/C have this issue.

turbos dont have this problem at all since the manifolds are for low-mount setups so far.
Old 04-04-07, 06:12 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Good point Pure on the higher mileage engines. Even for those with lower mileage, depending on higher boosting, etc. I imagine you'd need to consult the vendor for after market pistons, connecting rods, etc. to handle the additional power. Not to mention the tranny and rear end.

While I am not an engineer I imagine the drive train could handle up to 100 HP increase w/o modifications. For my 175k mile car there is no way I'd bolt a supercharger to it w/o rebuilding the bottom end.

Quick Reply: LS400 TWIN/SINGLE TURBO Project