Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Resistall for a car that will be parked under a tree?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 09:59 AM
byadg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistall for a car that will be parked under a tree?

Buying a ‘13 RX 350 that has a mirror like shine. It will live in my NC driveway under a tree and suffer 100+ degree bakes, ice and snow, masses of pollen, bugs, and bird poop.

Dealer wants to to sell me $1,000 lifetime guarantee resistall. I didn’t consider it for my garage car but it might be smart for the one which will definitely be abused.

Opinions?

Last edited by byadg; 06-14-19 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 10:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in, but I would say no. I haven't ever seen a dealer applied product that would match what you could get from a professional detail shop. I would pass on the dealer option and get some quotes for a good ceramic coating from a detailer.
Old 06-14-19, 11:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Don't waste your money. I am pretty familiar with detailing products and go on forums and never heard of this stuff, had to look it up where it gets mostly negative reviews. You'll can likely get the same type of product/protection for $20-$50. As far as lifetime protection, how long are you going to keep the car? You won't be keeping it that long and they often find ways of denying those so called "lifetime" warranties and blame the customer or say it is not covered. This product is not going to protect your finish from all the elements either, especially bird crap. There are plenty of better products out there you can apply yourself that cost under $100.
Old 06-14-19, 12:17 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by byadg
Buying a ‘13 RX 350 that has a mirror like shine. It will live in my NC driveway under a tree and suffer 100+ degree bakes, ice and snow, masses of pollen, bugs, and bird poop.

Dealer wants to to sell me $1,000 lifetime guarantee resistall. I didn’t consider it for my garage car but it might be smart for the one which will definitely be abused.

Opinions?
For $1000 I would instead look into a ceramic coating applied by a professional (or applied by yourself). Look for a well-reviewed coating (there are quite a few good ones out there). After that, I'd look into a good pressure washer and a 400+ CFM leaf blower to make driveway washing and drying easier. Keep a bottle of quick detailer handy to get rid of bird poop before it has a chance to bake in the hot weather.
Old 06-14-19, 12:57 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

There is no such thing as a dealer installed coating that protects everything. All dealer coatings are snake oil.
The following users liked this post:
Beachtyme (06-17-19)
Old 06-14-19, 01:04 PM
charley95
Pole Position

A car that sits under a tree will need constant maintenance with or without the best coating available. It baffles me my neighbors keep their newer cars out side year round while junk is stacked to ceiling in the garage.
Old 06-14-19, 08:59 PM
byadg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
It baffles me my neighbors keep their newer cars out side year round while junk is stacked to ceiling in the garage.
Keeping boxes of Christmas ornaments and family bikes out on the driveway year round is problematic.
Old 06-15-19, 08:32 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Keeping boxes of Christmas ornaments and family bikes out on the driveway year round is problematic.
For sure... there needs to be a dedicated "storage room" designed into every home. Usually it's called the attic, but folks often dislike attics and use their garage for storage anyway. My cars are garaged... as long as I have a garage, that's where my car will be.

But I agree with charley95... you will need to maintain your paint continuously if kept outside open to the elements... even more frequently if it sits under a tree for much of that time. Give it a good clean and apply a paint sealant, then top monthly with a solid detailer like Sonax BSD or similar. Although I'm not a big fan of Bead Maker, if I were in your situation I would probably use it, applying BM every 2-3 weeks or so after washing. Not that it's a great super fantastic product, but it does offer protection, and it's really, really, really, really, really easy to apply.

Last edited by chinee; 06-15-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-15-19, 09:14 AM
charley95
Pole Position

I'm debating whether to order a gallon of BM. My bud got some and just loves it. I would just view it as a general DS that one could use everytime ya wash the car. I think the review video by Car Craft Auto Detail is spot on for what one should expect from BM.
Old 06-16-19, 02:53 AM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

First off, that was hilarious...even moreso for me because that accurately depicts a lot of what takes up one of the three bays in my parent's 3 car garage and it drives me crazy. Is it an option at all for you to possibly buy a decent storage shed to free up some space so you could park the car in the garage? Just a thought, it might be more more expensive up front but if you keep the car for a while there may be a tipping point? It doesn't take long for bird crap to etch into paint, and compounding/wet sanding annually to try and combat that will eat away layers of clear coat and hundred dollar bills...
Old 06-19-19, 07:34 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely DO NOT BUY IT! I've worked for two dealerships and the stuff we installed as paint protection was nothing more than a cheap spray wax with some brand that no one has ever heard of.

I'm not sure what the cost of PPF paint protection film is but you could have that installed on the hood and roof if necessary. But for $1000 I would pay a local detailer to apply a ceramic coating. You can find them for $500. So basically have it applied and then 2 or 3 years later have them apply it again.

The issue you will run into is a ceramic coating isn't bullet proof and I would be worried about things getting etched into the paint if they are left on there too long.

If it were me, and the garage is 100% not an option, I would have a ceramic coating applied to the paint and then wash it weekly myself to make sure nothing was sitting on the paint too long. Plus it will extend the life of the coating if you maintain it.