ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   New Coating (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/918477-new-coating.html)

Woodrow 05-13-19 12:44 PM

New Coating

I'll be applying a coat of GTechniq CSL this weekend. I did the same on my previous NX, and was pretty happy with it for nearly 3 years. I recently read that adding a coat of EXO on top of the CSL added to the gloss as well as adding more protection from swirls and chemicals. I'm generally pretty good about caring for my paint (OK, I MIGHT be a little retentive), and I'm not sure if there is enough advantage to the EXO layer to make it worth while. It's expensive.

Although I do my best to keep the car clean, it sits in a parking garage most weekdays, and it's disappointing to see how dirty it gets just sitting there. The garage is close to an Interstate, with the added benefit of being at a light rail station, and I'm thinking it's mostly road dirt. To make it worse, I can't get home early enough to get the %&# that settles on it during the day off of it. So it sits there for at least 3 or 4 days before I can do a quick wash in the garage, and I worry about it bonding to the paint. It could be that I'm just getting to be increasingly compulsive. My wife thinks so.

2 questions. Is the EXO layer worthwhile? And .... for those of you with Atomic Silver paint, my car seems to really show dirt a lot. Is it my imagination or should I look forward to cleaning it every time I drive the car? Honestly, I'm hoping the coating will help. I discovered how much easier it made paint care, on my last car.

UDel 05-13-19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Woodrow (Post 10516441)
I'll be applying a coat of GTechniq CSL this weekend. I did the same on my previous NX, and was pretty happy with it for nearly 3 years. I recently read that adding a coat of EXO on top of the CSL added to the gloss as well as adding more protection from swirls and chemicals. I'm generally pretty good about caring for my paint (OK, I MIGHT be a little retentive), and I'm not sure if there is enough advantage to the EXO layer to make it worth while. It's expensive.

Although I do my best to keep the car clean, it sits in a parking garage most weekdays, and it's disappointing to see how dirty it gets just sitting there. The garage is close to an Interstate, with the added benefit of being at a light rail station, and I'm thinking it's mostly road dirt. To make it worse, I can't get home early enough to get the %&# that settles on it during the day off of it. So it sits there for at least 3 or 4 days before I can do a quick wash in the garage, and I worry about it bonding to the paint. It could be that I'm just getting to be increasingly compulsive. My wife thinks so.

2 questions. Is the EXO layer worthwhile? And .... for those of you with Atomic Silver paint, my car seems to really show dirt a lot. Is it my imagination or should I look forward to cleaning it every time I drive the car? Honestly, I'm hoping the coating will help. I discovered how much easier it made paint care, on my last car.

EXO will bead water more and provide another sacrificial layer which may aid in the CSL lasting a little longer or not getting as swirled. They have combo deals where you get the EXO, CSL, and Panel wipe for around $125 which is not a bad deal. EXO is not going to really keep your car any cleaner though or solve the problem of keeping it parked in your parking garage and it still getting dirty. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in gloss either.

jayclapp 05-13-19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Woodrow (Post 10516441)

Have you considered a good car cover? If so, get one that conforms tightly to the car with mirror pockets. I used car covers for years on my then new SC400 every day when parked outside in the sun. Saved the paint and the interior.

Woodrow 05-14-19 11:37 AM

I'm thinking I probably won't ever see a difference, too. I sent an email to GTechniq to ask if they recommended the layer of EXO, and was surprised that I got an answer pretty quickly. They suggested CSL and C2v3 is a great combination, and suggested a double coat of C2 with a once a month refresh. I already use C2, and really like it a LOT, so this makes pretty good sense to me.

I also happened to mention that I occasionally use a spray wax (no specifics). He said to "stay away" from those because there is a chance it will build a film layer and "clog" it. He suggested a wash with W5 and W6 to remove the spray wax, and follow up with C2. I replied, asking what he meant by "clog", and to point out that I really don't use a spray "wax", but a spray on sealer (Meguiar's M34). I don't know if that might change his recommendation.

Either way, it was cool that he replied at all. Makes me like GTechniq even more than I already do!

GunnyFitz 05-15-19 05:10 AM

Awesome Products!

Since my RCF was covered in Suntek PPF and then Ceramic Coated w CQuartz Finest Reserve (Pro Detailers only), my shop informed me to use all GTechniq Products to maintain its finish and durability. Even gave me this little kit. Counted them the other day and I have 13 bottles of their Products. Thats awesome they replied to you so fast - IMHO its super good gear. Instead of the Spray Wax, get yourself a bottle of GTechniq Quick Detailer Spray instead. Also a fan of their C2v3 myself. Though I use a MetroVac Master Blaster to blow all the water off, I go back over it w that and soft MF Towel. Other than GThechniq there is only one other product I use to maintain the crystal finish on this car..............:ban:

I drive into DC once a week and know exactly what you mean about how much dust and crap covers your car in a parking garage! I agree a Light Car Cover would benefit you if that's where yours is stored everyday. Good return on investment I'd say!

***Did I mention these mint 20" Wheels & Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires are for sale??- See Link in Sig Line if interested. :cool:https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...7029f7321.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...e000b25a81.jpg

Woodrow 05-15-19 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz (Post 10517922)
I drive into DC once a week and know exactly what you mean about how much dust and crap covers your car in a parking garage! I agree a Light Car Cover would benefit you if that's where yours is stored everyday. Good return on investment I'd say!

I ordered Wash and the QD yesterday!

I've never considered a cover. No real reason, except for the hassle of putting it on and taking it off every day, but I inch closer to considering one every time I see the dirt. Plus, I often wonder if it make the more unruly among us wonder what's under the cover. Maybe even vandalize because they know the owner cares more. Probably not, I guess.

Blkexcoupe 05-16-19 10:18 PM

I've applied CSL as both a stand alone product and CSL + EXO before. Personally, I like having both of them. The EXO adds that little bit of slickness to the paint + extra hydrophobic ability.

Is the EXO needed? probably not, CSL is a fantastic product on its own.

Using a spray wax on top of the coating, the paint will reflect the characteristics of the top layer (spray wax in this case) and not the underlying coating. I'm guessing that's what he meant by saying it "clogs"

Woodrow 05-17-19 07:24 AM

I have no doubt the EXO helps, but I'm hoping the C2 once a month maintenance of the CSL provides similar results a little easier and less expensively. The truth is, I would be doing the same maintenance even with the EXO. I love that really slick to the touch feeling!

The Meguiar's "Synthetic Sealant" I've been using is going to be relegated to my wife's RX as soon as I get the CSL on it this weekend (I hope). It seems like a really good product with good gloss AND beading, but it isn't as good as C2v3 in either area. Cheaper, but not as good. I'm less of a fan of their "Professional Quick Detailer" due to excessive streaking. I'm trying the GTechniq QD this time.