Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Recommended leather cleaner and conditioner. LS430

Old 05-11-19, 02:07 PM
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended leather cleaner and conditioner. LS430

I was curious on everyone's thoughts about which leather cleaners and conditioners they prefer?
Old 05-11-19, 02:11 PM
Bsavage
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use chemical guy interior cleaner i live in cali and its around 80 degrees im scared any conditioners would crack my seats from the oils cooking
Old 05-11-19, 02:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 213 Posts

my favorite, been using since 2007 in all cars...actually makes the car smell as if new...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
Old 05-11-19, 02:28 PM
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bsavage View Post
I use chemical guy interior cleaner i live in cali and its around 80 degrees im scared any conditioners would crack my seats from the oils cooking
Really? I always thought because I didn't condition the leather seats on my Acura, that is what contributed to them cracking.
Old 05-11-19, 02:58 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Check your Owners Manual. Leather is to be cleaned twice a year by, " 1.Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. 2. Wring water from a clean cloth and thoroughly wipe off all traces of detergent with it. 3. Wipe off the surface of the leaather with a dry soft cloth. Allow the leather to dry in a ventilated shaded area. Excess of wet may cause the hardening or shrinking of the leather."

I think this procuedure makes sense if you know that Lexus puts a urethane finish on top of the leather during the manufacturing process. The manual also notes that "Dirt or sand adhered to the leather may damage the treated surface and cause it to wear earlier. Remove dirt or sand using a vacuum cleaner." They mean that dirt and sand wil act like sandpaper and gradually wear the finish off the leather. This is likely to happen after years of usage as the car ages. This may be the point where leather cleaners and conditioners might be useful in extending the life of the leather. But putting cleaner and conditioner on the new surfaces is not a good thing. It will let water thru the perforations and actually cause harm to the leather.

Just saying.
Old 05-11-19, 06:07 PM
Freds430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 159 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
my favorite, been using since 2007 in all cars...actually makes the car smell as if new...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
I second it. Easy to apply and remove. Follow up with their leather in a bottle.
Old 05-11-19, 06:14 PM
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been very happy with the Griots leather cleaner and conditioner.
Old 05-11-19, 06:45 PM
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the responses. Iíll do more research on the products recommended. And as far as the user manual instructions go, is that what you do with your leather? Itís an 05 LS430, I guess I should of stated that lol. Although in great shape I donít think itís really a ďnew surfaceĒ as far as the leather goes.

Last edited by RicoBoy; 05-11-19 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-13-19, 06:29 AM
TRD_Power
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Leaterique, hands down. Zaino makes great products as well, but I've used both, and Leatherique does an incredible job with restoring leather.
Old 05-15-19, 04:13 PM
mikesrx350
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

one of the best out there
pinnacle leather and vinyl cleaner

pinnacle leather condtioner

as fyi with the older ls 430;s and 400's you need to be careful to apply not with a lot of rubbing or scrubbing
and also the steering wheel is sensitive to cleaners so go cautiously
Old 05-17-19, 06:25 AM
Blze001
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp View Post
Check your Owners Manual. Leather is to be cleaned twice a year by, " 1.Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. 2. Wring water from a clean cloth and thoroughly wipe off all traces of detergent with it. 3. Wipe off the surface of the leaather with a dry soft cloth. Allow the leather to dry in a ventilated shaded area. Excess of wet may cause the hardening or shrinking of the leather."

I think this procuedure makes sense if you know that Lexus puts a urethane finish on top of the leather during the manufacturing process. The manual also notes that "Dirt or sand adhered to the leather may damage the treated surface and cause it to wear earlier. Remove dirt or sand using a vacuum cleaner." They mean that dirt and sand wil act like sandpaper and gradually wear the finish off the leather. This is likely to happen after years of usage as the car ages. This may be the point where leather cleaners and conditioners might be useful in extending the life of the leather. But putting cleaner and conditioner on the new surfaces is not a good thing. It will let water thru the perforations and actually cause harm to the leather.

Just saying.
Since the urethane finish will wear off eventually, will there be a visual indication?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: