Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Recommended leather cleaner and conditioner. LS430

 
Old 05-11-19, 02:07 PM
  #1  
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended leather cleaner and conditioner. LS430

I was curious on everyone's thoughts about which leather cleaners and conditioners they prefer?
RicoBoy is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 02:11 PM
  #2  
Bsavage
Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ca
Posts: 120
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I use chemical guy interior cleaner i live in cali and its around 80 degrees im scared any conditioners would crack my seats from the oils cooking
Bsavage is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 02:15 PM
  #3  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 7,084
Received 231 Likes on 219 Posts
Default

my favorite, been using since 2007 in all cars...actually makes the car smell as if new...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
Johnhav430 is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 02:28 PM
  #4  
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bsavage View Post
I use chemical guy interior cleaner i live in cali and its around 80 degrees im scared any conditioners would crack my seats from the oils cooking
Really? I always thought because I didn't condition the leather seats on my Acura, that is what contributed to them cracking.
RicoBoy is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 02:58 PM
  #5  
jayclapp
Lexus Champion
 
jayclapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,367
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Check your Owners Manual. Leather is to be cleaned twice a year by, " 1.Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. 2. Wring water from a clean cloth and thoroughly wipe off all traces of detergent with it. 3. Wipe off the surface of the leaather with a dry soft cloth. Allow the leather to dry in a ventilated shaded area. Excess of wet may cause the hardening or shrinking of the leather."

I think this procuedure makes sense if you know that Lexus puts a urethane finish on top of the leather during the manufacturing process. The manual also notes that "Dirt or sand adhered to the leather may damage the treated surface and cause it to wear earlier. Remove dirt or sand using a vacuum cleaner." They mean that dirt and sand wil act like sandpaper and gradually wear the finish off the leather. This is likely to happen after years of usage as the car ages. This may be the point where leather cleaners and conditioners might be useful in extending the life of the leather. But putting cleaner and conditioner on the new surfaces is not a good thing. It will let water thru the perforations and actually cause harm to the leather.

Just saying.
jayclapp is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 06:07 PM
  #6  
Freds430
Lexus Test Driver
 
Freds430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 952
Received 175 Likes on 136 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
my favorite, been using since 2007 in all cars...actually makes the car smell as if new...

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
I second it. Easy to apply and remove. Follow up with their leather in a bottle.
Freds430 is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 06:14 PM
  #7  
Stepsride
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: FL
Posts: 29
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I have been very happy with the Griots leather cleaner and conditioner.
Stepsride is offline  
Old 05-11-19, 06:45 PM
  #8  
RicoBoy
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I appreciate the responses. Iíll do more research on the products recommended. And as far as the user manual instructions go, is that what you do with your leather? Itís an 05 LS430, I guess I should of stated that lol. Although in great shape I donít think itís really a ďnew surfaceĒ as far as the leather goes.

Last edited by RicoBoy; 05-11-19 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
RicoBoy is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 06:29 AM
  #9  
TRD_Power
Lexus Champion
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 3,421
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Leaterique, hands down. Zaino makes great products as well, but I've used both, and Leatherique does an incredible job with restoring leather.
TRD_Power is offline  
Old 05-15-19, 04:13 PM
  #10  
mikesrx350
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: califronia
Posts: 478
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

one of the best out there
pinnacle leather and vinyl cleaner

pinnacle leather condtioner

as fyi with the older ls 430;s and 400's you need to be careful to apply not with a lot of rubbing or scrubbing
and also the steering wheel is sensitive to cleaners so go cautiously
mikesrx350 is online now  
Old 05-17-19, 06:25 AM
  #11  
Blze001
Driver School Candidate
 
Blze001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NoVA
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jayclapp View Post
Check your Owners Manual. Leather is to be cleaned twice a year by, " 1.Wipe it off lightly using a soft cloth (e.g. gauze) dampened with 5% solution of neutral detergent for wool. 2. Wring water from a clean cloth and thoroughly wipe off all traces of detergent with it. 3. Wipe off the surface of the leaather with a dry soft cloth. Allow the leather to dry in a ventilated shaded area. Excess of wet may cause the hardening or shrinking of the leather."

I think this procuedure makes sense if you know that Lexus puts a urethane finish on top of the leather during the manufacturing process. The manual also notes that "Dirt or sand adhered to the leather may damage the treated surface and cause it to wear earlier. Remove dirt or sand using a vacuum cleaner." They mean that dirt and sand wil act like sandpaper and gradually wear the finish off the leather. This is likely to happen after years of usage as the car ages. This may be the point where leather cleaners and conditioners might be useful in extending the life of the leather. But putting cleaner and conditioner on the new surfaces is not a good thing. It will let water thru the perforations and actually cause harm to the leather.

Just saying.
Since the urethane finish will wear off eventually, will there be a visual indication?
Blze001 is offline  
Old 07-16-19, 09:17 AM
  #12  
StanVanDam
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 927
Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Default

Had my 2002 LS430 for 10 years now, and it is now 17 years from the in-service date. I prep and clean the leather by vacuuming thoroughly and then wiping it clean with Zaino Leather Cleaner whenever it gets dirty (like after a camping trip). After the leather is cleaned, I moisturize it using Zaino Leather Conditioner. My semi-aniline seats (Ultra Luxury) are in excellent condition and still super soft like new after my 10 years of use. The Zaino products also smell like good clean authentic leather oils - not overpowering, no strong solvent smells, and shouldn't give you a headache, unlike other products I've smelled.

Base model LS430 has standard leather, so a conditioner/moisturizer probably wouldn't be absorbed very well due to the thicker coat layer - would need a much longer soak time than semi-aniline. Standard leather has a top coat, a color coat, a base coat, and a thin leather layer. Semi-aniline doesn't have the 3rd coat (base coat), and instead has a thinner top coat + color coat, and a thicker leather layer.
StanVanDam is offline  
Old 07-16-19, 09:41 AM
  #13  
UDel
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ------
Posts: 10,250
Received 142 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

Whether it is regular or semi aniline I don't think any conditioner is actually making it to the actual leather or past the protective barrier. If spilling water on it or other liquids don't make a stain/get immediately absorbed then the protection it has is likely stopping the conditioner from reaching it too though maybe the areas were the stitching is could absorb some. Full aniline leather will absorb conditioner, it will also easily stain and would be a pain to take care of in your car which is why it is basically never used in car interiors. Leather Conditioners/cleaners still clean the surface, take away stains on the surface above the protective layer, and maybe even soften the protective coating so they still may be some use but I don't think it is that critical what conditioner you use or the need to condition it, cleaning the leather is probably the most important thing.
UDel is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommended leather cleaner and conditioner. LS430


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: