Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 02:23 PM
KC4Life
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Detailing Kit

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Lexus LS460 F-Sport( Nebula Gray). This is the highest end car we have ever owned and I want to clean the car with the best process/combination of products possible. Although I have always cleaned my car myself, I have purused this section of the forum and have realized how pathetic my efforts have been. Ergo. I have been drying my cars with old white t-shirts in lieu of proper microfiber towels. If someone can give me a starter kit to purchase either from Amazon, Autogeek or another reasonably priced source I would love the help. My driveway is on the East portion of my property so my car washing activities are usually in direct sunlight (not sure if some chemicals work better when drying so quickly).

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (05-02-19)
Old 05-02-19, 03:32 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you looking for a wash and dry type of package or a full car care package? Do you do a standard soap wash or are you looking to move to a rinseless or spray bottle wash?

There are some products that will do okay in direct sunlight, but shade is always a better choice and more forgiving when it comes to most products.

It's definitely best to use quality microfiber towels to dry your vehicle (waffle weaves) and use a soft, high pile microfiber towel to apply a spray sealant / spray wax. The days of synthetic chamois (or old t-shirts for that matter) are long gone for normal maintenance.

Edit: Very basic no rinse wash kit: (Coupon code = 30315 and purchases over $50 are shipped free)

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/opt-...l#.XMrL9-hKi-Y

Last edited by Beachtyme; 05-02-19 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Edit: Added a link.
Old 05-02-19, 06:20 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs up Great Questions

Congratulations on your new Lexus LS Slvr12GX46 !!
You are most definitely thinking ahead, and on the right track to maintaining that beautiful car. Do you know if its had a Paint Protection Film (PPF) or Ceramic Coating applied in the past? This plays an important part of which products to use, and which not to use while Maintaining those two things.

Rather than go into all the different Resources and Products here, I posted t Thread I created awhile back that covers tons of ideas for you, methods, items, and practices that are advantageous for everyone. Feel free to review this, and the other sites mentioned above for ideas. Many of these sites include "Detailing 101" type stuff as well. I use AutoGeek , Detailed Image, and Rag Company ALOT, especially when they send out their 25% Discount Codes! Though I'm not a "Pro Detailer" who does it for a living, I've used more products than I can count and I'm totally open to any questions you may have. PM me if you wish.

A Product and Resource Thread

**Again, Welcome and Congrats on your LS. Post some pics of it so we can all check it out and drool.
Old 05-02-19, 06:51 AM
KC4Life
Driver School Candidate

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Thank you for the link to the thread, I did hop into a thread before posting this but found myself lost in professional lingo and acronyms. Good call on the PPF, how can I check if the protective film is on the car? I entered the VIN on drivers.lexus.com and they don't address it one way or another. Thanks for the hookup Beachtyme!

Also, on an unrelated note. My profile name is linked to a previous Lexus we owned. Can I change this?

Last edited by KC4Life; 05-02-19 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 07:47 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by Slvr12GX46
I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Thank you for the link to the thread, I did hop into a thread before posting this but found myself lost in professional lingo and acronyms. Good call on the PPF, how can I check if the protective film is on the car? I entered the VIN on drivers.lexus.com and they don't address it one way or another. Thanks for the hookup Beachtyme!
Also, on an unrelated note. My profile name is linked to a previous Lexus we owned. Can I change this?
Unless the Dealership who initially sold the LS to its owner did the PPF to it then, you may not see anything of the sort doing that search. Mine was done months after purchase thru a Private Party, so nothing will show up online. You should be able to see some edges of the film if you look closely on each section - On Mirrors, Underneath edges of Hood, Front End pieces, etc. I even had mine done on lower Rocker Panels too. If it was not filmed, then you have a whole new world available to you when it comes to Washing, Decontaminating (Clay Bar) Polishing and Waxing. The sky is literally the limit for you to fly into on those fronts! I could go on forever on gear for that, but wont take up real estate on your Thread. There are tons of videos on how to use Rotary Orbital Buffers to do all this work for you (Porter Cable 7424XP) is my fool-proof unit that cant damage a car unless wielding it like a club!

You should send a Msg to the Administrator here to see about changing your Screen Name. I think only they have the ability to do this, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-02-19, 08:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Name change request https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sit...name-here.html
GunnyFitz (05-02-19)
Old 05-02-19, 08:19 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Not only are you The Man Dave, but a fellow LS Owner like the OP too!
Old 05-02-19, 08:56 AM
KC4Life
Driver School Candidate

Dave,

This is done.

Thanks!
GunnyFitz (05-02-19)
Old 06-03-19, 12:51 PM
KC4Life
Driver School Candidate

Finally got around to taking a few pics. Kind of dark, bad planning on my part, but this is with 35% in the front and 20% in the back (Midwest Tinting- $280 in case anyone was interested)

GunnyFitz (06-05-19)
Old 06-05-19, 03:15 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

"She" looks alot newer than a 2015 for sure!!